Comparison European tractors compared to us tractors.

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
Ben seeing picks. of tractors from Europe and like the looks of the small 4x4 tractors with equal size wheels and equal weight on each tire. From what I can tell on line they seem to be very well built and designed. Look like they are made for a small farm instead of a homeowner. Anyone have any experience with any of these and does any american firms make a tractor like that?

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #2  
I don't know if any are available in the U.S., but another feature those European tractors sometimes have is four-wheel steering, or they are articulated in the middle. This allows them to turn with minimal impact on the soil, and to have a shorter turning radius. In some cases, the operator's station is reversible so the tractor can actually be driven either direction depending on the needs of the task.

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #3  
Having lived in Europe for a couple of years, I was always envious of their low center of gravity, all wheel drive articulated tractors. The best example is the Holder tractor, but I am always drawn back to this website which seems to have a well regarded similar tractor.
http://www.goodwinconcepts.com/contact.shtml

Hit the Carrera tractor link. They tractors look to be very different than the larger, and arguably less sophisticated Belarus tractors, or or similar ones of European origin.

For what is worth, I look at my B7800 with an articulated front axle, loader with easily removed backhoe and cannot think how I would really improve that tractor regarding it's versatility. I have put on wheel spacers to make it more stable on our sloping hillsides. I think this might be a close equivalent to the European small tractor.

Somewhere on the web, I saw a "walk behind" round bailer. It looked like a washing machine on wheels with handlebars. You walked behind it, paused, and out came a bale about the size of a beer keg. I wanted that too.

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #4  
Yes many European tractors especially the Italian ones are designed for specific tasks like narrow low profile orchard work and use on steep hillside terrain. Europeans have the market on things like mini balers and planters designed for small tractor use

Deere does market a few speciality tractors under their brand. Mostly big AG Hi crop, Low Profile, Orchard & Vinyard. We have a 2855 at the apple orchard

At one time they sold this one under their name. It was actually made by Goldoni.

Attachments

• 3045361705_4a8feddc34.jpg
    3045361705_4a8feddc34.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,762
Last edited:
   / European tractors compared to us tractors. #5  
Yeah those are awesome! I'd love to have one for pulling logs! Wish Kubota would offer one! (0:

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #6  
Somewhere on the web, I saw a "walk behind" round bailer. It looked like a washing machine on wheels with handlebars. You walked behind it, paused, and out came a bale about the size of a beer keg. I wanted that too.

I believe that Gravely and BCS walk-behind tractors can be fitted with a round baler like you describe.

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #7  
The European tractor and the entire method of farming are so different than here in the States. I think a lot of it started with the narrow roads and streets as well as the steep vineyard hillsides. The narrow roads apparently lead to the maximum transport width of 3 meters which really limits the in-field tillage width of machinery. To make up for that the European farmer travels much faster in the field as well as on the road to make up for the reduced tillage width per pass. It also appears that tractors with large trailers rather than trucks are used for transporting harvested grain from the field to the farm or grain terminal for storage. As a result, the tractors have very high speed in road gear compared to the U.S.

/ European tractors compared to us tractors. #10  
I recently corresponded with a US distributor for Goldoni who told me the Base 20 (correct model designation) is the only model from the entire line that can be imported to the US due to Tier regulations. Goldoni has decided, that despite being compliant with all European regs, it is not worth trying to conform to US rules for diesel engines. I'm thinking it's our loss.
Goldoni S.p.a.