Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

Default Re: Thoughts for downsizing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I was just reading another forum and came across a guy with at TOOLCAT. Similar to the Powertrac but looks like it may have 3 PH capability and its wide track, low profile so it should be very stable on slopes.
    Yeah toolcats are the cat's meow...... if you have $40K to spend.

Tractor
    ford 5000/kubota m4800su

i would just put a 5 or 6 foot 3 point finish mower on the 2800 that you already have. that realy isnt that big of a tractor and a loader on anything much smaller than a 2800 is not capable of much lift capacity

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I think the OP said he wanted to downsize. Is any of those a downsize from the L2800, not much I would think. And I sure wouldn't want to be operating any CUT or especially a SCUT on super steep slopes.
    Actually all the one's I suggested are a little smaller than an L2800 and better suited to mowing. And he did mention the Mahindra Max himself. If you want a loader that can still do some real work, hard to go any smaller. I don't much care for any of the subcuts offered by deere, kubota, and NH anyway. Not real good at any one task other than snow removal.

Now for outright mowing on hills in a standard tractor footprint, hard to beat the JD x700 series. Nothing like them. Of course the loaders are not much on these machines. But, boy will they mow and stay put on a slope. Not quite as good as a ventrac or other articulated mower, but pretty darn good on hills. The Mahindra Max28XL is pretty attractive for all purpose use.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
    I should clarify, I know better than to try too much of a slope. I have had the L2800 on the back side of a tank dam as steep as the property and it was stable, but it wouldn't be comfortable to work regularly. It is also too large for the lawn portion (which really isn't that steep). One option really is to keep the L for snow and dirt and pick up a dedicated mower for the yard. I'd like one swiss army knife, but my 2800 only has 100 hours and there aren't many new machines that would be a straight trade even with adding the purchase price of a mower. Did I mention that my wallet squeals when I am forced to open it?
    If considering to keep the L2800 (good idea, I think), then think about a used JD 400 series for mowing. You can get a nice all wheel steer machine for $3 - $5K in diesel or gas. I love mine. Mows fast and is a pleasure to drive. I mow about 1-3/4 acres in about 1.5 hours pretty much just taking my time and I have many many things to mow around. These AWS mowers leave an uncut mowing circle of about 13". Very maneuverable. I keep my "big" tractor for tractor chores and use the JD for mowing, lawn vacuuming, and general garden cart towing. Two machines, but the best of both for specific applications.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
    I should clarify, I know better than to try too much of a slope. I have had the L2800 on the back side of a tank dam as steep as the property and it was stable, but it wouldn't be comfortable to work regularly. It is also too large for the lawn portion (which really isn't that steep). One option really is to keep the L for snow and dirt and pick up a dedicated mower for the yard. I'd like one swiss army knife, but my 2800 only has 100 hours and there aren't many new machines that would be a straight trade even with adding the purchase price of a mower. Did I mention that my wallet squeals when I am forced to open it?
    If considering to keep the L2800 (good idea, I think), then think about a used JD 400 series for mowing. You can get a nice all wheel steer machine for $3 - $5K in diesel or gas. I love mine. Mows fast and is a pleasure to drive. I mow about 1-3/4 acres in about 1.5 hours pretty much just taking my time and I have many many things to mow around. These AWS mowers leave an uncut mowing circle of about 13". Very maneuverable. I keep my "big" tractor for tractor chores and use the JD for mowing, lawn vacuuming, and general garden cart towing. Two machines, but the best of both for specific applications.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
    Actually all the one's I suggested are a little smaller than an L2800 and better suited to mowing. And he did mention the Mahindra Max himself. If you want a loader that can still do some real work, hard to go any smaller. I don't much care for any of the subcuts offered by deere, kubota, and NH anyway. Not real good at any one task other than snow removal.

Now for outright mowing on hills in a standard tractor footprint, hard to beat the JD x700 series. Nothing like them. Of course the loaders are not much on these machines. But, boy will they mow and stay put on a slope. Not quite as good as a ventrac or other articulated mower, but pretty darn good on hills. The Mahindra Max28XL is pretty attractive for all purpose use.
    I beg to differ my dear friend. I happen to be the owner of a subcut, and while it might not do things quite as fast as a 'cut' sized machine, this little sucker will do a little more than "snow removal".
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    I beg to differ my dear friend. I happen to be the owner of a subcut, and while it might not do things quite as fast as a 'cut' sized machine, this little sucker will do a little more than "snow removal".
    You aren't alone. Thousands of others disagree with me too, I'm sure. But, I'm entitled to my opinion and I stand by it: a compromising machine for just about everything. Don't much like em.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
    You aren't alone. Thousands of others disagree with me too, I'm sure. But, I'm entitled to my opinion and I stand by it: a compromising machine for just about everything. Don't much like em.
    Yep, you are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts. In the real world, a CK25 is also a compromise somewhere along the line.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

If it weren't for the OP's driveway, I would have suggested a SUBCUT tractor. I've done everything the OP wants to do..........except the driveway, with my Massey GC2400.

EDIT: And I've done it with turf tires.
    Don

Tractor

Ther is a line where a tractor becomes a lawn mower (garden tractor at best). Subcuts broaden and bridge that line. In doing so, they are too light with marginal hydraulics to be effective as real tractors. Yet bigger, higher, and not nimble enough to compete with the best GT's for mowing and hills. They are good not great mowers, and fair at best for earth moving, lifting, and towing. As a standing power plant, they do offer good to excellent HP for still applications. As mich as I'd like to be a fan because I long for one machine that can do it all pretty well, I haven't seen one yet that meets my expectations. The mahindras max is the closest I've seen. Though there are still better GT mowers. I just wish it were a bit more refined with loader controls, a 3-range HST, and better implement connectivity. The JD 2320 and 2520 are the closest to meeting what I expect. But the price isn't so great and they have their own warts too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast