Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Thoughts for downsizing

Quote Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
    Just wrong. It can't do everything. Not even close to everything, even if given an eternity.
    I'm glad you put my actual quote in that post. Everyone can see how you've conitinually misconstrued everything I've actually stated.

Until you've actually used one of these subcompacts, you will never appreciate the capabilities. As has been clearly shown in your posts.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

I agree with the L2800 and dedicated mower, for several reasons.
    1. Money, plain and simple, $1200 for a rider and good to go
    2. He might need more than 1000# scut to dig if hes got rocky/shale/clay, he is on a mountain
    3. You might expand what you want to do in a year or three, and find that you have to go back to CUT from a SCUT.
    4. You could add a finish or flail mower to mow the yard area and only be out maybe $400~$900
    5. Doesnt a MMM basically rule out any real dirt moving with out removing it? Dont know this for sure, I just dont see the MMM being very convenient

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by paulharvey View Post
    I agree with the L2800 and dedicated mower, for several reasons.
    1. Money, plain and simple, $1200 for a rider and good to go
    2. He might need more than 1000# scut to dig if hes got rocky/shale/clay, he is on a mountain
    3. You might expand what you want to do in a year or three, and find that you have to go back to CUT from a SCUT.
    4. You could add a finish or flail mower to mow the yard area and only be out maybe $400~$900
    5. Doesnt a MMM basically rule out any real dirt moving with out removing it? Dont know this for sure, I just dont see the MMM being very convenient
    As I said in post 24, he needs to get the L2800 to the new property and try it out before making any decisions.

I'll also add that my subcut is near the 2,000lb. mark with the FEL and loaded tires.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST

Folks, Okay, okay, I am convinced. Now I just have to find the right rider for the mowing duties. I have the "Tim Taylor" complex for wanting a high end machine, but I have to admit, my $400 MTD off of craigslist has been very, very hard to kill despite nearly 5 years of Texas sand and oak droppings. It is at the point of being on life support, but the dang thing just keeps on starting.

On the L2800, currently I have the stock R1s. Would going to R4s increase the slope stability any?

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST

And you absolutely convinced she-who-must-be-obeyed that it was more economical to keep what I have!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post
    Folks, Okay, okay, I am convinced. Now I just have to find the right rider for the mowing duties. I have the "Tim Taylor" complex for wanting a high end machine, but I have to admit, my $400 MTD off of craigslist has been very, very hard to kill despite nearly 5 years of Texas sand and oak droppings. It is at the point of being on life support, but the dang thing just keeps on starting.

On the L2800, currently I have the stock R1s. Would going to R4s increase the slope stability any?
    R4's are generally wider, which sould make it more stable. But I believe the rim would need to be replaced to accomodate R4's. That's getting into a lot of money. You could just get wheel spacers to widen your footprint 'if the need arises'.
    Don

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudrnnr View Post

yes a little, due to the fact they are wider. But that is a wad of money to put out for new tires and new wheels.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    R4's are generally wider, which sould make it more stable. But I believe the rim would need to be replaced to accomodate R4's. That's getting into a lot of money. You could just get wheel spacers to widen your footprint 'if the need arises'.
    This would be a good approach to start with. Put as much low weight on the tractor as you can get to stay in place: Ballast the tires, add wheel weights if you can find some that are affordable, strap your heaviest relative to the 3 pt (or maybe just an implement, if it weighs more ). Keep the R1's and make sure the wheels are set as wide as possible. Add wheel spacers.

These would all be frugal ways to keep your tractor stable. You may spend hundreds doing this, but not thousands.

Regarding the mower, don't spend all your time keeping an old beater alive. Get something dependable. You'll have lots of other stuff to do.

By the way, I hope you have a great time with your new place. That could be quite an adventure!

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

The Rear rims in your L2800 should be reversible. That being said you have the square "dish" bolted onto the rim. That dish should have at least 2 positions, likely 4 to alter the width of your tractor. The front tires can easily be reversed (left tire put on right side, tread still pointing forward) however that will put added stress on your front axle when doing work with the FEL. You also can buy wheel spacers online, that may be a good alternative to getting the most width out of the tractor, but I would defiantly start with looking at adjusting the rear rims since that will co$t nothing to do.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

You could also put dual wheels on the rear. I think his handle is TungularFish Camp and he rigged up dual wheels for his CUT due to operation in beach sand, but it works for slopes also. Look at the Ventrac with duals. Kind of expensive proposition but doable and less cost than a new tractor.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234