Thoughts for downsizing

/ Thoughts for downsizing #1  

Cloudrnnr

Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I am still searching through old threads, and I have lurked for years, but it is time for a direct question. After 26 years, I am finally hanging up the uniform and retiring. I'm proud to have served all these years, but the time has come to take my beautiful wife back home to her family as I promised a long time ago. We'll be moving from central Texas up to northern Idaho this fall, and settling in on a little 10 acre place on the side of the mountain. The property has about an acre and a half that has been turned into lawn, some of it on a fairly steep slope, while the rest is in a mix of evergreeens on slopes that range from moderate to mountain-goat territory.

I currently have an Kubota L2800 that has been fantastic, and an old Craftsman 42" mower, but I am looking for that smaller, do-it-all machine that I can use for mowing the lawn portions, but still have the loader when I need to push around a little dirt or snow. I am hoping to find something with a mid PTO that can use a mower deck and a snowblower, but there seem to be a bewildering range of choices. I am not brand particular in the slightest, but I am so tight that I squeak. That said, finding something a few years old would be ideal, but I don't mind new if a particular model is best suited and hasn't been on the market long.

Uses--mowing, snowplow and blowing, some dirtwork (terracing, digging out hillside cellar, etc), grading a fairly level gravel drive. The previous property owner got by with a large Cub Cadet lawn mower and an ATV with a snow plow and blower attachment, but didn't do much beyond the more manicured area of the property.

Ideas, please? I have been looking at the BX and GC series, as well as the Mahindra Max, but I am a little worried about going down that small and not having the lift capacity I've gotten used to. My concern with something like a "B" series is whether or not it will be a constant battle for stability on the slopes.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #2  
I hear that Power Trac machines are ideal for steep slopes. I don't know anything about them other than a little bit of web info with pricing. It looks like all equipment is made specifically for the PT and none of the 3 PH stuff will work. I think Mossroad (TBN member ) has one.
Check out the Power-Trac.com website not to be confused with PowerTrac.com which is a used equipment dealer.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #3  
If worried about lift, the Max28XL is welled spec'd. Other option might be a Bobcat CT220 or Kioti CK20. I hear soon the CK20 will have 25 HP, and they will be re-introducing a midmount mower. The BC's will be discontinued soon. So, a good deal might be found on one. They are just a white Kioti anyway. Want a little more? Consider the Kioti CK35 HST - really nice tractor. The Kubota B's are nice, but seem to be high and narrow. Of course JD and MF have nice offerings as well if you got the dough. If it were me, I'd be leaning toward the Mahindra MAX28XL though.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #4  
If worried about lift, the Max28XL is welled spec'd. Other option might be a Bobcat CT220 or Kioti CK20. I hear soon the CK20 will have 25 HP, and they will be re-introducing a midmount mower. The BC's will be discontinued soon. So, a good deal might be found on one. They are just a white Kioti anyway. Want a little more? Consider the Kioti CK35 HST - really nice tractor. The Kubota B's are nice, but seem to be high and narrow. Of course JD and MF have nice offerings as well if you got the dough. If it were me, I'd be leaning toward the Mahindra MAX28XL though.
I think the OP said he wanted to downsize. Is any of those a downsize from the L2800, not much I would think. And I sure wouldn't want to be operating any CUT or especially a SCUT on super steep slopes.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #5  
As far as the BX and B series Kubotas are concerned. I have had both a BX2660 and a B3030. Neither one was very stable off the showroom floor with the loader. The B was slightly better than the BX. That said, once I ballast the tires with Rimguard, that made a huge difference on both as well as reversing the front tires on the B3030. The B had roughly twice the lifting capacity, which still only like 1100#. The cab was great on the B3030. The compact size, and weight of the B2660 was better on my yard. Both pushed the crap out of snow! I had the frame mount plows on both, and I used them commercially. Once I pushed through a drift as tall as the BX2660 hood with no problem. If I had to pick one, that would be a tough choice.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #6  
I was just reading another forum and came across a guy with at TOOLCAT. Similar to the Powertrac but looks like it may have 3 PH capability and its wide track, low profile so it should be very stable on slopes.

/ Thoughts for downsizing
I should clarify, I know better than to try too much of a slope. I have had the L2800 on the back side of a tank dam as steep as the property and it was stable, but it wouldn't be comfortable to work regularly. It is also too large for the lawn portion (which really isn't that steep). One option really is to keep the L for snow and dirt and pick up a dedicated mower for the yard. I'd like one swiss army knife, but my 2800 only has 100 hours and there aren't many new machines that would be a straight trade even with adding the purchase price of a mower. Did I mention that my wallet squeals when I am forced to open it?

/ Thoughts for downsizing #8  
Check out the Ventrac machines. There is a forum here on TBN for them. I just watched the web presentation of one climbing a 30 degree slope with ease with a big contour tracking mower on the front. Might be just what you need for those slopes and it has FEL capability.

/ Thoughts for downsizing #9  
Stability on slopes? Wider rear tires, duallies will help. The setup I have on my 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel would work safely on pretty steep slopes.

MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

The rears are Goodrich 18.4-16A (18" wide, 16" dia rim, 40" tall). The front axle spindles have been shortened to keep the tractor level.
This is a field tractor that has been set up to squat low for work in the olive orchards around here.

Dave Siemens, my Mahindra dealer in Red Bluff, CA (he posts here on TBN with the handle "DavesTractor") has set up at least one of the 30 hp Mahindra's he sells to squat low like my 135. I should have taken a photo of that tractor when I saw it last year. Any tractor can be configured for work on hills. Contact Dave and he'll tell you how he did the mods.

Dave's Tractor, Inc - Home

Dave is a West Coast distributor for Mahindra and IIRC Idaho is in his territory.

Hope you enjoy your retirement. I retired in 1997 and moved from a condo in Orange County, CA to 10 acres (flat pasture) about 120 miles North of Sacramento. Had a ball building up a new place from scratch on virgin land.

Good luck

/ Thoughts for downsizing #10  
Have you considered a rear finish mower for the tractor you already have? I've been using RFM's for 20 years after not caring for a belly mower on the first tractor.