New or new to me SCUT

/ New or new to me SCUT #21  
Someone made a great comment about SCuts (not the exact quote, but words to this effect): If you're downsizing from a big farm tractor, you'll think it's tiny. If you're upgrading from a lawn tractor, you'll think it's a D8.

/ New or new to me SCUT #22  
Along the lines of Grandad4, we both own several sizes and SCUTS are great little tractors and their abilities underestimated by many. I have moved quite a few dump truck loads of crushed rock and dirt with ours and hauled a lot of things with the FEL I sure wouodn't want to have done with a cart or by hand. Once you get to use one, you will love it.

A backhoe has been mentioned and for some they are great, we just rent one when we need one maybe once a year and sometimes not even that often. We find it preferable to storing and paying for one, I like them but they just aren't worth the money for us. We are only 18 miles from a good rental place.

/ New or new to me SCUT
That is kind of my thought process. after not being able to do what we want or find what we want for the bolens, my first thought on a new one was "do not be limited in anyway". After really thinking about it though im not sure i need to be able to use a back hoe. after all it would only be once or twice a year tops and at a cost of 5k extra for the tractor and 6k for the back hoe it self, thats an alot of rental time i could get. Jury is still out b you all are making alot of good points. Now i just need to figure out what the two bolens might be worth. Well that and convince the wife :)

Edit: forgot, hoping someone here might know. another thing that would be really useful for us a log splitter. We go through alot of wood during camping season. i know they make them, but is it something that a bx1870 could handle?

thanks again for all the input/knowledge

Last edited:
   / New or new to me SCUT #24  
That is kind of my thought process. after not being able to do what we want or find what we want for the bolens, my first thought on a new one was "do not be limited in anyway". After really thinking about it though im not sure i need to be able to use a back hoe. after all it would only be once or twice a year tops and at a cost of 5k extra for the tractor and 6k for the back hoe it self, thats an alot of rental time i could get. Jury is still out b you all are making alot of good points. Now i just need to figure out what the two bolens might be worth. Well that and convince the wife :)
I had the same problem.

I had an old Cub Cadet(one of the last original ones), and it was eating us alive in belts (125.00 for tiller belt), snowblower belt would get cut by ice continuously. Couple that with the poorly design clutch(half hydro/half gear), and the operational costs started mounting. Then parts availability started to deteriorate(like with your Bolens).
We went shopping at the 'big box stores' first, and I showed her how poorly they were made(it helped that her father had major problems with 4 new lawn tractors, and a 2 former neighbors did also), then I proceeded to look up reviews on the 'big box store' tractors. About 2 out 10 were 'ok' reviews.

So I finally got her to at least look at subcuts, she saw the quality difference herself(especially the no-belt situation). Then I got her to sit on them, and she fell in love with the Massey. She has had two major neck operations, and her right wrist is fused(no movement) after 9 surgical procedures, so the hydraulic operation and 'pinky' steering clinched the deal.

/ New or new to me SCUT #25  
i would recommend one of the BX18xx tractors. my family has the bx1850 and it preforms wonderfully. taking the deck off is fairly easy.

/ New or new to me SCUT #26  
Hi dfortier,
You gotta love the tractor hunt thats for sure. I was glad to have my tractor for this past storm. Sorry i am late to the post. Just wanted to let you know about the cub cadet yanmar tractors. One nice machine and very very pleased with my purchase. I have an sx3100 which is a twin to a jd2720 infact yanmar makes the jd2720. I am happy to say that i saved about 6k-7k by not going green. Have you looked into the sc2400 by CCY i think you could find one no problem around 10k with fel and mmm. They have a 5yr warranty and i don't think i have seen anyone post anything bad about them. Just alittle input from a fellow CT res. I was also looking at used tractors prior to purchasing mine and found that it was not worth it for a few thousand more you will get something new and under warranty. Good luck

/ New or new to me SCUT
Thanks for the suggestions, trying to get the other half down to look at a scut this weekend. I will also take a look at cubs as I had not looked at them yet. 5yr warranty sounds really nice :)

/ New or new to me SCUT
Hi all, just figured i would post back with the out come (i hate when there is not closure in a thread i had been reading). We decided to go with the bx1870 for a number of reasons, price being a major one, but the dealer really clinched it for us. Hy at Ruwit-Sibley was the nicest and most knowledgable of all the people we taked to and the only one to actually offer up a test drive. Where as some of the other dealers, well it seemed as though i was bothering them (not here to bash anyone).

So yes, orange it is and i couldnt be happier. now the waiting game begins though, if we are luck it will be here on friday the 10th. anyone want to purchase a bolens? :)

/ New or new to me SCUT #29  
Hi all, just figured i would post back with the out come (i hate when there is not closure in a thread i had been reading). We decided to go with the bx1870 for a number of reasons, price being a major one, but the dealer really clinched it for us. Hy at Ruwit-Sibley was the nicest and most knowledgable of all the people we taked to and the only one to actually offer up a test drive. Where as some of the other dealers, well it seemed as though i was bothering them (not here to bash anyone).

So yes, orange it is and i couldnt be happier. now the waiting game begins though, if we are luck it will be here on friday the 10th. anyone want to purchase a bolens? :)
Thanks for letting us know of your decision.

Check into the Piranha toothbar at BXpanded for your brush removal and general digging chores. I think you will like it. I just purchased on myself.

/ New or new to me SCUT
i saw that in another review, looks like a great addon. not to keen on the idea of drilling the bucket but i dont see how much can go wrong. im also looking at the ratchet rake for rock and root removaly.

thanks for the input