Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    JD 2720

Default Re: New or new to me SCUT

If you're talking about a three point hitch splitter, keep in mind that the hydraulic flow on small tractors isn't sufficient to keep a splitter moving quickly enough to be efficient. I looked into a 3pt splitter myself and I found out that I would be waiting forever for the wedge to return to its starting point so I could load more wood onto the beam. I wound up buying a splitter with its own engine and the cycle time is much less. Some would argue that it's another engine to take care of while others will say why have your tractor engine running just to split wood. As with everything on these forums, it all comes down to personal choice.

Enjoy your new tractor. I bought mine a couple months ago and I never thought I would use it as much as I have since it arrived. It has already paid for itself in a number of ways.
    Gus

2012 JD 2720, 200CX FEL w/61" bucket, I-Match, Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Wallenstein WX620 splitter

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Gus is right. BX is pretty small for supplying hydraulic power to a splitter. If you get one you can pull with the BX, you can take it anywhere, and then use the BX loader to move the wood around. Among other things, the BX is the ultimate wheelbarrow. Good choice... post pics when it arrives.

Tractor
    BX1870, Bolens 1400 eliminator

I have read a few posts that would agree with both of you on the splitter. currently have a small electric splitter from HomeDepot and i was looking to upgrade. Maybe once the motor burns out on it ill see if we can retro fit it onto the BX, or get a bigger gar powered one. i cant wait, like a kid a week before christmas lol

Tractor
    JD 2720

Quote Originally Posted by dfortier View Post
    I have read a few posts that would agree with both of you on the splitter. currently have a small electric splitter from HomeDepot and i was looking to upgrade. Maybe once the motor burns out on it ill see if we can retro fit it onto the BX, or get a bigger gar powered one. i cant wait, like a kid a week before christmas lol
    That's how a lot of us are on this site. I waited 10 years to buy the tractor, splitter, and chipper I always wanted. Now that I finally have them I can get to work on all the jobs that have been waiting for the right equipment to get them done. There's nothing like having quality equipment to work with.
    Gus

2012 JD 2720, 200CX FEL w/61" bucket, I-Match, Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Wallenstein WX620 splitter

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

In complete agreement with pinetree10 and Grandad4. Even with a tractor big enough to run a splitter, we prefer a gas pull type leaving the tractor free, our 3PH splitter has sat in the shed for years.

The BX is a great little tractor, just some things are not optimal with it. We have several tractors and the BX's still get used a lot.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by dfortier View Post
    i saw that in another review, looks like a great addon. not to keen on the idea of drilling the bucket but i dont see how much can go wrong. im also looking at the ratchet rake for rock and root removaly.

thanks for the input
    The toothbar was very easy to install. I put it on the bucket, then put grease on the end of the bolt to mark the spot to drill, then drilled and bolted. Super easy

And I agree with the others, don't try to hook a splitter to the BX.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234