Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    BX1870, Bolens 1400 eliminator

Default New or new to me SCUT

Good morning,
    At this point im not even sure if i want something new or used but after the last snow storm im considering trading up from the bolens to something more useful. we would ideally like to have one machine to do the following:

remove snow (bucket loader enough with 4wd? we have a 1 stage snowthrower for the bolens now in a big or wet snow it is kind of useless)
    cut the grass (3/4 acre, some obstacles, small slope)
    haul wood/clear bush/pull small stumps/remove rocks, general yard cleanup

I started by looking for used, but given the large investment (unless you get something really old) and no warranty maybe new is better?
    my only real concern is that if I go used, it should be easy to work on (like the bolens) and parts should be available (since bolens is go this has been the biggest problem)

at the moment im looking at kubota vs Deere (I have read a number of threads here and elsewhere, Deere seems to have some advantage if you want to go new)

any and all suggestions/comments/concerns would be very helpful

Dan

Gold Member uglyboywith11fingers's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 BX24TLB, 1998 TG1860G

Default Re: New or new to me SCUT

Used, with no warranty, or new at a higher price, is a decision you'll have to make based on finances and your own comfort level. If you decide on new, take comfort in the fact that most SCUTs last almost forever with proper care & maintenance, and consequently keep their value.
    As an example, local kijiji lists a kubota BX1500 with FEL, MMM at under 500 hours at asking price of $10000.

welcome to TBN.

Pete

Tractor

Thanks, I guess what im really looking for is can one find a decent SCUT with fel and mmm for say 5k? Or is that just way to low, in which case I would have to go new I guess. Part of the issue Im having it information overload I think lol. Sooo much info and so many opinions which is better. correct me if im wrong please but from what I can tell, fel and mmm are machine specific, but a 3ph is a 3ph so pretty much any implement will work on any tractor if it is the right cat (ie 1, in the case of the SCUT).

thanks

Gold Member uglyboywith11fingers's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 BX24TLB, 1998 TG1860G

FEL & MMM for 5K might be a stretch... but keep looking on craigslist, kijiji and the tractor sites... (ironsearch, tractorhouse, etc)
    you're correct with your assumption on FEL, MMM and 3pt fitment.

Pete

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dfortier View Post
    Thanks, I guess what im really looking for is can one find a decent SCUT with fel and mmm for say 5k? Or is that just way to low, in which case I would have to go new I guess. Part of the issue Im having it information overload I think lol. Sooo much info and so many opinions which is better. correct me if im wrong please but from what I can tell, fel and mmm are machine specific, but a 3ph is a 3ph so pretty much any implement will work on any tractor if it is the right cat (ie 1, in the case of the SCUT).

thanks
    I can't imagine getting a decent used SCUT with MMM and FEL for 5K, I have a 2003 BX2200 I wouldn't consider selling for under $8-9K and I get offers any time someone sees it on a trailer.

On SCUTs you will have category 1 and limited category 1, so a category 1 off a full size tractor might hook up, but the lift height, how much the lift arms will spread will be a bit different. King Kutter, Woods and Land Pride make equipment that works best with a SCUT.

It sure does get confusing. I would look at SCUTs from all manufacturers who make one to find the one that fits you the best, all are pretty good machines.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by dfortier View Post
    Good morning,
    At this point im not even sure if i want something new or used but after the last snow storm im considering trading up from the bolens to something more useful. we would ideally like to have one machine to do the following:

remove snow (bucket loader enough with 4wd? we have a 1 stage snowthrower for the bolens now in a big or wet snow it is kind of useless)
    cut the grass (3/4 acre, some obstacles, small slope)
    haul wood/clear bush/pull small stumps/remove rocks, general yard cleanup

I started by looking for used, but given the large investment (unless you get something really old) and no warranty maybe new is better?
    my only real concern is that if I go used, it should be easy to work on (like the bolens) and parts should be available (since bolens is go this has been the biggest problem)

at the moment im looking at kubota vs Deere (I have read a number of threads here and elsewhere, Deere seems to have some advantage if you want to go new)

any and all suggestions/comments/concerns would be very helpful

Dan
    I think your work needs sound like a pretty darn good match for what is called a Sub-Cut. That type of machine, equipped with a loader and mower, will sell new in the mid-teens someplace. They are popular and hold their value well, so I think it's unrealistic to expect anything decent for $5k.

You mention using the bucket for snow removal. Most users find that works in a pinch, but it's 'way more efficient to have a rear blade or snowblower attachment also. Snow removal here in the Mid-Atlantic states is very occasional, so the rear blade is plenty, but in Connecticut, you would probably benefit from a snowblower.

As for new models, the latest Deere SCut's are very nice and have some handy features, but the Kubota BX has remained the market leader for a long time because they make a good product with good value. The Massey Ferguson SCut is highly regarded also. You definitely should look at all the models and choose the one that appeals to you the most.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Grandad4 View Post
    I think your work needs sound like a pretty darn good match for what is called a Sub-Cut. That type of machine, equipped with a loader and mower, will sell new in the mid-teens someplace. They are popular and hold their value well, so I think it's unrealistic to expect anything decent for $5k.

You mention using the bucket for snow removal. Most users find that works in a pinch, but it's 'way more efficient to have a rear blade or snowblower attachment also. Snow removal here in the Mid-Atlantic states is very occasional, so the rear blade is plenty, but in Connecticut, you would probably benefit from a snowblower.

As for new models, the latest Deere SCut's are very nice and have some handy features, but the kubota BX has remained the market leader for a long time because they make a good product with good value. The Massey Ferguson SCut is highly regarded also. You definitely should look at all the models and choose the one that appeals to you the most.
    I agree with this post.

You haven't stated the total acreage, but it sounds like a 'subcut' would do well for you.

When I purchased mine 3 years ago, I paid 13,750 for the tractor, FEL, and MMM(mid mount mower). Blower was a couple thousand extra, but just the FEL would clear your driveway. But I suggest the snowblower, just in case................I've only used mine twice in 2 winters,(wich was unnecessary) but if I need it, I've got it.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor

Thanks for all the info, i thought 5k might be unrealistic but i figured i would ask. I currently waiting on quotes from local JD 1023 and kubota BX2370, both with MMM and FEL. i will look into the others mentioned here as well. At the moment im leaning a bit more towards the deere for the quick mount mower and the option of a backhoe later. Deere is a bit more though, at least on the build it yourself webpage quote.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400

I agree with TripleR, look at them all and try them out. If you have it narrowed down already, the only thing I could add is be sure the dealer knows you might add the backhoe later. Some makes have a special frame/subframe requirement for backhoe models. I hope you are able to enjoy the whole process
    CCY SC2400, FEL, MMM, WB, Chore tote, Broadcast Spreader

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Just as an FYI, Woods makes back hoes that can be used on many different tractors including SCUTs, cheaper to buy OEM at the time of purchase, but if a person has a SCUT without one, you can equip your tractor without trading. There are some old threads on here about it.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast