Buying Advice Ford 1720 or John Deere 970

/ Ford 1720 or John Deere 970 #1  

wgbill

Tractor
none
I am looking at used 30hp 4wd tractors. Local recommended dealer/service center has a late 80's Deere 970 and a late 80's Ford 1720. He is suggesting I go with the Ford due to parts costs. Both tractors are running well, have front buckets, recently serviced, and have approximately 1200 hrs. Deere has had some front wheel bearing issues. Both are priced $7500-$8000. Would appreciate an advice as this will be my first tractor. Thank you.

/ Ford 1720 or John Deere 970 #2  
All things being equal, and being a Deere guy, I'd go with the 970.
However, I suggest you go with the tractor that fits you the best as far as controls, seat (and "comfort") and the overall "feel".

BTW, $8000 is a very good price for a good 970.

/ Ford 1720 or John Deere 970 #3  
I had a 1720 for years until I upgraded. Left it outside and did very little maintenance. Was mostly problem free and very reliable. Only issue was the hydraulic priority cylinder for the power steering went which I was told is fairly common. Easy to change but they want $1,200 for a new one and they are difficult to find used. Other then that very happy with it. Would start right down to 0 degrees so you should have no problem with it in the cold of VA. But like Roy said, try them both out and see which one fits best. Both have good reputations for being reliable. I don't so how parts are going to be cheaper with the ford but that's only my opinion.

/ Ford 1720 or John Deere 970 #4  
I agree that's a good price for a 970. I have one and really like it. Being a Deere the parts and/or service by the dealer is pricy which is why I'd do it myself. Otherwise its a good tractor.