Sub vs compact... Need advice

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #41  
...but our yard is "new" and is in much need of improvement. Our plan is to use the tractor for a year or two, and once the property is in order go back to a larger ztr for the mowing...

You are exactly right. A ztr is hands-down the fastest, easiest mowing machine on a smooth, finished lawn. But there are millions of acres across America that aren't quite so smooth and finished but still need regular mowing, where a ztr can't do its quick zip 'n clip routine. I've got a few acres like that, apparently so do you. A cut or scut eats those acres up, albeit at a more, shall we say, dignified pace.

As for your situation, mowing 4 acres with a 54" belly mower is a big job. I've done it, and it takes me at least 6 hours, much of it trimming. It sounds like your options are somewhat limited. Going to a 60" deck would help, but probably not a real game changer... it will still be a lot of mowing. If your 4 acres is open enough, a 3 pt finish mower could work, although it's not going to be very handy if you have lots of trimming to do. A 3 pt mower does have the advantage of being a more marketable item if you decide to sell it later when your lawn improvements are done and the ztr takes over again.

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #42  
I have read that rear weight is needed for doing loader work, and the box blade should get quite a bit of use as well.

Yes you are right but for mowing take the box blade and loader off.You will be lighter and more manuverable.

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #43  
We currently have a kubota 54" ztr that she mows with, but our yard is "new" and is in much need of improvement. Our plan is to use the tractor for a year or two, and once the property is in order go back to a larger ztr for the mowing.

Here is my current dilemma.... I have found the tractor I want (bobcat ct122) and the price is excellent but I cannot find a belly mower larger than 54". I have called 4 dealers, and all say 54 is the only option for this model.
Apparently bobcat used to offer a 60, but not anymore. I'm sure this model can handle a 60" or bigger since they are putting 62's on the subcompacts. Can I use a kioti, McCormack, or other brand belly mower on the bobcat? Any ideas?

Do you really need a belly mower? I used a 60" rear finish mower on my previously owned ck20. It mowed very well and was easy to maneuver around trees ( at least for me). A RFM is less expensive than a belly mower and isn't a PITA to attach. Just my .02.

I'll be mowing with a 72" with my new tractor.

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #44  
Mow vs. loader work is always a dilemma. If you have several obstacles to mow around, consider a used JD 400 series with all wheel steer. I have many many trees, shrubs, flower beds and other obstacles to mow around. Even so, I cut at a rate of about 1 acre an hour with a 54" deck (1.75 acres in 1.5 hours), and virtually no trimming afterwards. These little tractors are almost as fast as zero turn, yet work well on hills and can pull a yard cart, plow snow, and much more. I know you said you couldn't afford 2 machines. But, used you can pick one of these up for $3 - 4K. That's only slightly more than the mower deck for the CT122. Then you can dedicate the CT122 to earth tasks. Later, you can keep an eye out for an inexpensive used rear mower for the CT122 and both of you can mow a the same time. This is how I operate. My CK25 is dedicated to earth chores, and my JD 425 AWS mows grass and plows snow. BTW, the 425 will mow circles around the CK without a doubt and is better at snow removal in tight spaces.. Just another option to consider...

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice
First off, no problem, call Kioti, Landini or McCormick and see what they have.

Second, I'm confused. If you have a ZTR, why get a tractor for mowing? Even if you get a 72" mower on it (I don't think you can), I'd bet the ZTR will still out mow it. Why not use the ZTR for what it's good for and buy a tractor with even more muscle but no mower? CT225/230 or even 235 are awesome tractors (I had a CK30). Nothing wrong with a CT122, but if you take mowing away, you'll probably get one of the bigger ones at the same price or even less if you forget the MMM and optional mid PTO.

McCormick doesn't seem to offer belly mowers and their stuff is red anyway. Landini only has dealers in Canada, and Kioti doesn't have any belly mowers that will fit at this time. They say they are supposed to be getting some in this spring, but est. price is $3500! May have to go with a pull behind afterall. What do you guys recommend?

Mow vs. loader work is always a dilemma. If you have several obstacles to mow around, consider a used JD 400 series with all wheel steer. I have many many trees, shrubs, flower beds and other obstacles to mow around. Even so, I cut at a rate of about 1 acre an hour with a 54" deck (1.75 acres in 1.5 hours), and virtually no trimming afterwards. These little tractors are almost as fast as zero turn, yet work well on hills and can pull a yard cart, plow snow, and much more. I know you said you couldn't afford 2 machines. But, used you can pick one of these up for $3 - 4K. That's only slightly more than the mower deck for the CT122. Then you can dedicate the CT122 to earth tasks. Later, you can keep an eye out for an inexpensive used rear mower for the CT122 and both of you can mow a the same time. This is how I operate. My CK25 is dedicated to earth chores, and my JD 425 AWS mows grass and plows snow. BTW, the 425 will mow circles around the CK without a doubt and is better at snow removal in tight spaces.. Just another option to consider...

Food for thought.... not a bad idea at all. But who said I wanted to help mow! ;)

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #47  
McCormick doesn't seem to offer belly mowers and their stuff is red anyway. Landini only has dealers in Canada, and Kioti doesn't have any belly mowers that will fit at this time. They say they are supposed to be getting some in this spring, but est. price is $3500! May have to go with a pull behind afterall. What do you guys recommend?

Belly mower aren't cheap. McCormick and Landini are owned by the same parent company now so you'd probably get the same answer there anyway. Kioti lists it as an option and shows it in the description I posted, so I'm surprised, it might be worth calling a second dealer to inquire. I've heard that rear mowers are easier to use since you can back the mower under trees and down into ditches. I've never used one, so I don't know.

Belly mower aren't cheap. McCormick and Landini are owned by the same parent company now so you'd probably get the same answer there anyway. Kioti lists it as an option and shows it in the description I posted, so I'm surprised, it might be worth calling a second dealer to inquire. I've heard that rear mowers are easier to use since you can back the mower under trees and down into ditches. I've never used one, so I don't know.

Called a 2nd kioti dealer and they told me same thing.

I think the rear mower is going to be the best option. May just keep the kubota ztr for the tight spots for now and see how things go.

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #49  
I think since you have a Zero turn I would keep it and use it to mow the grass. I would take the money I was going to put towards a MMM and use that to get a bigger tractor or a tractor with a cab. A Ct122, a Kubota B3200 and JD 2720 would all be on the heavy side for mowing. I have seen a like 4 or 5 guys on here that have had the 4WD go out of their CT122, something broke in the front axle.

/ Sub vs compact... Need advice #50  
I think almost everyone who signs up for TBN wants to have a tractor and I understand that. But, being in the landscape and grading business I can tell you it would be far cheaper to have someone else smooth up your 4 acre lawn area with the proper equipment. I do lots of this type work and most smoothing jobs without trees and shrub plantings can be done in as short as three days time. Working alone then you and the wife can handle all the details such as plantings, flower beds and other time consuming jobs. Your equipment needed to buy can then be alot less costly. Your existing mower could be properly utilized.