Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    918 allis-chalmers

Default Re: Ford vs chevy vs dodge

Why does it HAVE to be Ford,vs.Chevy,vs. Dodge? They're ALL good trucks......they'll ALL take a beating and keep on ticking.
    Pick the one you like on a test drive,as long as it has heavy duty frame, suspension,brakes, and wheels.
    Just about anything that's used will require a minimal amount of fixing little things. Get a truck expert to drive it and then if it falls apart,you can blame him/her!! LOL! don-ohio (:^)

Silver Member
    Well... permanent adresses is Bonaventure, Eastern Quebec, Canada
    Tractor
    White LT 18hp B&S old beater

I would say avoid gm 05 & older cause of injector issue. Gm 06 & 07.5 were awesome trucks and the gm dmax engine before the clean emmission diesel 07.5 & later.

I would say avoid any 6.0 ford, but if you can find a good shape 7.3 they were build to last.

The 5.9 cummins is an awesome engine. But i am not a fan of 4 soeed trans, and I have heard rhey are on the weak side when stock, but a good after market trans kit csn make it bulletproof..
    Life is Highway. One day, I will retired at home.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Skip the junk and buy a Toyota unless you like paying a shop $$$

I've worked on my '04 powerstroke several times. Although it looks like there is very little room to work under the hood once you remove all the routing for the turbo there is much more room than you think. It takes maybe 10-15 minutes tops for me to pull all the boot hoses and fittings out. The air flows from the fresh air intake through the radiator and then back to the engine. I suspect that the other diesels are the same way.

I have replaced the thermostat and cleaned the EGR valve. I didn't have to remove all the turbo piping but I ended up finding a hole in one of the hoses that was causing me to lose boost.

I wouldn't be scared of any Dodge from the early to mid-2000's or Chevy/Duramax. If you decide to go with a ford just get ready to replace the engine oil cooler and a few other known items like the EGR cooler at about 90-120K miles. It's about a ~$2K job if you hire it out. They all have their problems, most are well known.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    I own a 2007 5.9 Cummins.I didn't buy a 2007.5 6.7 L because, this is the 1 st of emissions and they had problems. I think those problems were solved in the later yrs. With the 5.9.I have tons of room under hood to be able to work on if any problems were to arise. The 6.7 L Cummins doesn't have much room under the hood due to all the emissions crap. The D.max & Ford have little to no room under the hood.Not sure which year it started,but with Ford the cab has to be removed to be able to do some work on the engine.Some will say that Dodge has Tranny problems. I have 98K on mine and have never had any issues.Except brakes & tires
    Kubota L3400 HST with FEL, R1 Tires, 4x4
    Ford 1910 Gear tractor
    Ford Box Blade
    Land-Pride spreader
    Armstrong Ag Disc
    Landpride Clamp on Forks

Tractor
    Baddest LS P7010C south of Palm Beach County

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Q View Post
    I would say avoid gm 05 & older cause of injector issue. Gm 06 & 07.5 were awesome trucks and the gm dmax engine before the clean emmission diesel 07.5 & later.

I would say avoid any 6.0 ford, but if you can find a good shape 7.3 they were build to last.

The 5.9 cummins is an awesome engine. But i am not a fan of 4 soeed trans, and I have heard rhey are on the weak side when stock, but a good after market trans kit csn make it bulletproof..

Fi-Q, thank you. That's the info I was looking for.

Toyota???.... Really???? Didn't even know they could pull that much.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    DK50SE Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1369 View Post

Fi-Q, thank you. That's the info I was looking for.

Toyota???.... Really???? Didn't even know they could pull that much.
    Yeah, didn't you see them pulling the Space shuttle with one?

Don't know how much you are planning to pull, but I was very surprised ay how much an F150 can pull these days. Over 11000 with the right package! I just ordered one rated for over 9000 after considering a 250. After seeing the cost of ownership of the bigger truck, I went with the F150 since I'm only towing stuff a few times a year.

My family and friends (and even me to some degree) all work for GM but after years of ongoing troubles with my Acadia, they do not deserve my $$$.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615L

04-05 dodge 5.9 with 6 speed manual.
    325hp and 600ft.lb is plenty, leave it stock exept an exhaust and quality air filter.
    The auto is terrible unless you have 3k to invest in the tranny.
    The 4x4's eat ball joints and tires the 2wd is lower maintenance and gets better gas mileage.
    If I were looking this is what I would be scouting for.

Tractor
    in process

We purchased a DuraMax 2500. Never Again. We had injector issues @ 90K. This Pickup was maintained well, and never pushed. Cummins is probably the way to go. I never cared for Chevy's interior. Seems blocky, and just not very refined. I like Ford and Dodge (I have a Ram1500 now). If you decide on a Chevy, ask for a deep discount...you paid for it in fed. taxes already .

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by Fi-Q View Post

Well, you can hear it from someone that owns 1. 98 K and have had no problems. Mine is stock.Problems usually start when you add xtra power without up grading the tranny.They aren't built to handle xtra HP without an upgrade.You may want to look at a gasser instead of diesel unless,you tow a good amount of weight
    Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak