Ford vs chevy vs dodge

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #31  
I own a 2007 5.9 Cummins.I didn't buy a 2007.5 6.7 L because, this is the 1 st of emissions and they had problems. I think those problems were solved in the later yrs. With the 5.9.I have tons of room under hood to be able to work on if any problems were to arise. The 6.7 L Cummins doesn't have much room under the hood due to all the emissions crap. The D.max & Ford have little to no room under the hood.Not sure which year it started,but with Ford the cab has to be removed to be able to do some work on the engine.Some will say that Dodge has Tranny problems. I have 98K on mine and have never had any issues.Except brakes & tires

I have a 2007 5.9 Cummins 2500, Laramie edition. We have the quad cab and 8' bed. I Bought it new in 2007, and have 128,000 miles on it. I tow a 3 and 4 horse gooseneck trailer, tons of hay, and my tractor with no issues at all. If I had to buy it again, I would pick the same truck.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #32  
I would look for a '96-'03 Ford Super Duty with the 7.3 PowerStroke. The '95-'97 (Gen 1) PSD's don't have quite as much HP (no intercooler), but are still great trucks. I would be a little wary of a '95, just because they had a few bugs. There is no '98, Super Duty as they skipped it and introduced the '99 early.

I currently have a '97 F-250 and a '03 F-350. Previously, I also have had a '88, '93, '96, '00, and '02. All were 7.3's, although the '88 and '93 were not PowerStrokes.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #33  
Skip the junk and buy a Toyota unless you like paying a shop $$$
If toyota built a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck I might look at it.Heck if the built a HD 1/2 ton I would consider that also.I chose to skip the light wait junk.LOL,coobie

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #34  
i highly reccomend a 99-2003 ford 350 with the 7.3psd. it was available from 95 and on.. but I'd shoot for late.

I use mine as a daily driver... safe, strong.. no speed demon.. but gets you and your load there. probably the best engine offering in a ford diesel in a loooong time.

Okay, I'm not starting a pissing contest, I would like to know what year or model to avoid.

Looking for something big and strong, 250 or 2500, may consider bigger if I find a great deal.
Don't plan to use as daily more for weekend work and towing tractor or other equipment when needed.

Have also considered suburban and excursion.

Only looking at diesel motors.

Thanks guys for the help and no brand bashing.....lol

Mike

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #35  
I like the LBZ Duramax, we have a couple of the 2006 models we use for delivering tractors. I think they have 360 HP and the 6-speed Allison trans. On the Fords, I like the 7.3l Powerstrokes and prefer the manual transmission. They seem very dependable. We have also had the manual trans 2006 Dodge Cummins and that was a great truck. I'm not a fan of the later model trucks (post 2007) as they seem to have additional systems for emissions that add complicated systems to an already complicated truck. But eventually, we will have to go that route as we wear out these current trucks.

I'd stay away from the Duramax engines that have the injectors under the valve covers, I think they changed that in 2004 sometime. They are a pain to change injectors on, and expensive. I'd stay away from the 6.0l Fords entirely. Some guys drive them with good results, but too many have failed. I love the Cummins 5.9 engines, but apparently there were some built with thin engine castings, called 53 blocks I think. Some of them have cracked. But overall the Cummins 5.9 is impressive.

I'm not fussy on brands, and I totally respect the OP question. It's always nice to know what to avoid.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #36  
I'm running a GM 2500HD 07.5 and like it a lot. 13k on the bumper 15k+ on the GN. DPF doesn't rob as much fuel as people think. 365HP. Don't remember torque values but there up there. I pull a loaded trailer of hay (about 14k) and it pulls great. Haven't had any issues. I would stay away from 04 and earlier. Also would recommend Ford 06.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #37  
My neighbor once said "a 5.9 Cummins in a ford king ranch body & frame with an Allison transmission would be the ultimate truck" that may be true but, if it were me I would go with a 1994-2003 ford 7.3L As far as the older trucks go It is arguably one of the best. That's my :2cents:

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #38  
A 1993 Dodge W350 regular cab dually, Cummins powered is a truck I would love to have.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #40  
Okay, I'm not starting a pissing contest, I would like to know what year or model to avoid.

Looking for something big and strong, 250 or 2500, may consider bigger if I find a great deal.
Don't plan to use as daily more for weekend work and towing tractor or other equipment when needed.

Have also considered suburban and excursion.

Only looking at diesel motors.

Thanks guys for the help and no brand bashing.....lol

Mike

I am a big Ford fan but do have an engine to avoid. I had a 2005 Ford F350 with the 6.0 diesel and would not recommend it. The 6.0 has a lot of problems and would avoid the 04-07 Ford. My friend has an 03 with the 7.3 diesel and it just seems to just keep going.