Ford vs chevy vs dodge

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #41  
Our 94 F-350 crewcab turbo diesel has 250k and is still pulling strong with 16 mpg. A lot of trucks will not pull a heavy load up our steep 1/2 mile long driveway. Our Ford pulls anything. I suspect it is the antislip differentials.

I don't do my own maintenance and my conclusion is that diesel's are more expensive too maintain. Our truck has been rock solid. I was a marine engineer working on navy ships long ago. Our ford reminds me of one of those old navy ships. You just keep fixing them up and upgrading.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #42  
Ive been looking into the same question for my tow rig, bear with me on the info

Chevy/GMC
06-07 duramax - most of the injector problems were resolved by this point, went to the 6sp allison
01-02 - injectors were mounted under intake, hard/expensive to get to and replace

Ford
97-02 7.3 powerstroke - engines and drivetrains seem to hold up well, latter body style has better steering

Dodge
95-early98 - 12v cummins- basically bulletproof motor, avoid auto trans, front hubs don't hold up well on 4x4
late 98-02 - 24v injector lift pumps dont seem to hold up but motors themselves hold up well, avoid 53 block

Ive only been looking into the trucks before the more stringent emissions in '07 hope this helps

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge
What the heck is a 53 block.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #44  
It was the casting #from the engine block. There have been numerous accounts of these blocks developing a crack over time. Doesn't seem to be a problem for the other castings.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge
Where do you find this number.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #46  
Agree here. We run 7.3 Super Duty's and they are pretty rugged. My personal truck is a 2001 7.3 SRW. I have an exhaust brake installed and a turbo saver timer. I don't think I've done anything to the rotors in over 6 years, the exhaust brake, and a manual transmission help with that. I regularly haul 8-10,000 lb loads of cattle from June-Dec and drive it every day around the farm. They go through ball joints, glow plugs, cam shaft position sensors and other little crap but mostly your turn the key and they run. Sometimes I fantasize about an Allison tranny in it, at the end of a busy day when my knee starts to wear out.

If you can get away with a smaller, cheaper rig then do it. I just bought tires for my truck (Cooper) and they were $730. My farm vet drives a Prius. Stuffs all his gear in there and saves a ton of money over the Dodge Cummins he used to drive.

Between the front ends, extra oil, fuel economy, etc you might look at the new little diesel I think Chevy is coming out with, or a toyota, or some other small truck. Diesel trucks are meant to work hard. I know it is all in perspective, but I'd rather drive my little VW diesel car than anything. It is comfortable, quiet, tight steering, park anywhere; everything my truck isn't. But alas, I am a farmer and can't get the work done with a little sedan. For straight up transportation, a car is the way to go.

I would look for a '96-'03 Ford Super Duty with the 7.3 PowerStroke. The '95-'97 (Gen 1) PSD's don't have quite as much HP (no intercooler), but are still great trucks. I would be a little wary of a '95, just because they had a few bugs. There is no '98, Super Duty as they skipped it and introduced the '99 early.

I currently have a '97 F-250 and a '03 F-350. Previously, I also have had a '88, '93, '96, '00, and '02. All were 7.3's, although the '88 and '93 were not PowerStrokes.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #47  
Where do you find this number.

I believe it is on the driver's side front just above the oil pan, there is a ton of information about them on the cummins forums

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge
I believe it is on the driver's side front just above the oil pan, there is a ton of information about them on the cummins forums

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hey anyone crazy enough to haul around 10k lbs with an 05 dodge ram 1500..have a chance to score up a sweet deal but I need to know if it's possible with some upgrades.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #49  
I have four Fords because the dealership is better than the other brands in my locale. The 99 F550 and 2002 F350 with the 7.3 engines have worked out well. The 2003 F250 and 2005 F550 with the 6.0 have had more problems for sure. Most of it has been under warranty though and covered by Ford. I would like to buy a couple of new trucks but don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any of the new diesels' offered today. I have been waiting to see if any of the manufacturers could come out with a good diesel engine again. It appears to me the EPA is strangling all the manufacturers and won't let up.

I would like to strangle the EPA instead, with a few less restraints all of the top brands could have great engines.

/ Ford vs chevy vs dodge #50  
I have four Fords because the dealership is better than the other brands in my locale. The 99 F550 and 2002 F350 with the 7.3 engines have worked out well. The 2003 F250 and 2005 F550 with the 6.0 have had more problems for sure. Most of it has been under warranty though and covered by Ford. I would like to buy a couple of new trucks but don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about any of the new diesels' offered today. I have been waiting to see if any of the manufacturers could come out with a good diesel engine again. It appears to me the EPA is strangling all the manufacturers and won't let up.

I would like to strangle the EPA instead, with a few less restraints all of the top brands could have great engines.

This is the most sensible statement I have ever heard on this subject, the dealer is why I drive a chevy. There good, local and I like them. I have never been much on buying a truck over in the next county, or state, just over maybe 1500 dollars differance either. I would like to go back to a diesel, and probly will, but the EPA is the biggest hold up on the those trucks. jenkinsph, thanks for the post. Every time these Chevy,Dodge,Ford comes up, they turn into a you know what match. But to me it is more about the dealer, cause if you drive any brand long enough, you will eventually get it worked on for something. LUTT