Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JCB 214 Loader BackHoe, Farm Tractor TBD

Default How to negotiate

I'm sure this has been covered before but I didn't turn up anything in a search.

I'm about ready to buy a kubota M7040 2012 model. have been quoted ~$44K. This is a big purchase for me and one that will most likely be something i live with for the rest of my life. Was quoted with a loader, front remote, single rear remote. Will be using this for mowing 100 acres, skidding logs and clearing 60 acres, moving round bales, disking maybe 10 acres each year, putting in 4 miles of fences (I have a hydraulic post pounder).

First Q - any critique of my selection? You won't hurt my feelings if you tell me I'm going all wrong. I want your opinions.

Second Q - how do i go about negotiating with the dealer? I'm pretty good at car buying, but I have so much more info then.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: How to negotiate

Should get 15% off list on tractor.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Cash helps. Telling the dealer after he prices it that you are going to shop for other tractors before deciding sometimes helps more. I have had them call me when I got home with a better price than the original. I'm not a haggler on prices. It's just not in my blood. Both both of the above has worked for. I think your choice of tractor is a very good one.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Tractor

I am paying cash, saved up a long time for this.

Preble County?!? I dated a girl from Eaton and of course, the classic joke from that area...I can't remember if I was dating a girl from Eaton or (ahem) Eaton a girl from Dayton. The joke works much better verbally. I used to work in Hueston Woods, a lifetime ago, the early 80s, when attending MU.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by CesumPec View Post
    I am paying cash, saved up a long time for this.

Preble County?!? I dated a girl from Eaton and of course, the classic joke from that area...I can't remember if I was dating a girl from Eaton or (ahem) Eaton a girl from Dayton. The joke works much better verbally. I used to work in Hueston Woods, a lifetime ago, the early 80s, when attending MU.
    We live one mile from Hueston Woods. Sounds like we have stomped some of the same ground.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5530 4WD Turbo - Gear,

CesumPec,

DO NOT buy it without a minimum of two remotes on the rear you will not be happy with one. You need to know everything you want on that tractor to start with and anything added on the tractor after the sale is going to cost you more later. Negotiating can be fun but take the emotion out of it. Example: I bought a new CT Scanner for the hospital and did it by email after making a phone call and asked for a quote. After that call it was by email to come to the final price. They started at $538,855.00 and final price $327,000.00. I also got full coverage on a service contract for 7 years at 69K per year. Normally these service contracts go for 102K to 120K per year on that model and only for 4 years.
    By negotiating by email you will have paper trail of what each of you are wanting or needing and do not call them or meet with them. Finalize it only when you are getting what you want. Know your maximum price and stick to it, money does not grow on trees and you worked hard for it. it. Look at other tractors - apple for apple comparison and use that info in your favor. That's how I did it for the CT sacnner. I knew what I wanted but used competitors info to get what I wanted not what the vendor wanted for me to buy. There is alot in the "Art of Negotiating" I just provided my one example. The dealer sells everyday but you are buying once. Get what you want/need from them on this tractor as you say "something i live with for the rest of my life". I hope you have not mentioned to the dealer that your a cash buyer. Keep that close and if asked "say" that you will do personal financing and leave it at that. Negotiate for a price you are happy with and then use your cash as the final negotiating piece. Cash talks loudest at the end. Good luck

idaho2

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S

First off - good choice! I just bought a M7040 with CAB a few weeks ago and so far I love the tractor.

Is the price you were quoted "out the door", or is it before taxes and documentation fees? Since you're paying cash you don't have to buy the kubota insuance policy - but I did - so I'll assume your quote doesn't have the insurance policy. My "quoted" price during negotiations was almost $2k less than your quoted price (before insurance) - and included zero percent financing too. If I had been paying cash the price would have been even less. Mine does not have a front remote, but does have the Hydro Shuttle trans, radio, and delivery was also thrown in (85 miles one way - so that was significant). Tractor also came with a full tank of diesel.

You also didn't mention if your quote was for a CAB or not. If it's an open platform then I'd say you're leaving way too much cash at the table. If it's a CAB, then you're close.

BTW - I also do all of my deals by e-mail. As idaho2 says, you get the paper trail and I find you get a better deal when you're NOT face to face.
    Keith

Kubota M7040 Kubota L3130

San Ducerro Vineyards Yoakum, TX

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Good advice from others and I agree on a minimum of two rear remotes with three being preferable with at least one a float, will be cheaper at the time of purchase. Check to see if you can get a hydraulic top link figured in. Consider cast wheel centers and loaded/filled tires. Get some good hooks on your bucket, there are several threads on here, we have three on our M8540 and five on our L5740. I am guessing you are getting the hydraulic shuttle shift, if not get it. A rear wiper comes in handy; didn't get one on the M8540, but did on our subsequent L5740.

Some really like the air ride seat but it is pretty pricey, we were going to get one on our M8540, but it was going to take too long and the stock suspension seat is pretty comfortable.

Check to see if you qualify as a farm and the lack of sales tax will save you a lot.

I would check for a good dealer you trust and many buy from Barlow in KY as they deliver all over. Our dealer offered a good price, but having quotes from other dealers can help in your negotiations.

Are you getting Ag tires, if so check on getting a larger than stock size, forman Etexas did this, we have the tires that come stock on an M9540 on our M8540, our dealer orders all of them that way.

Good luck in your buying experience.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S

Ditto on the air seat TripleR mentioned - I have it on my M7040 and it's fantastic!
    Keith

Kubota M7040 Kubota L3130

San Ducerro Vineyards Yoakum, TX

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by idaho2 View Post
    CesumPec,

DO NOT buy it without a minimum of two remotes on the rear you will not be happy with one. You need to know everything you want on that tractor to start with and anything added on the tractor after the sale is going to cost you more later. Negotiating can be fun but take the emotion out of it. Example: I bought a new CT Scanner for the hospital and did it by email after making a phone call and asked for a quote. After that call it was by email to come to the final price. They started at $538,855.00 and final price $327,000.00. I also got full coverage on a service contract for 7 years at 69K per year. Normally these service contracts go for 102K to 120K per year on that model and only for 4 years.
    By negotiating by email you will have paper trail of what each of you are wanting or needing and do not call them or meet with them. Finalize it only when you are getting what you want. Know your maximum price and stick to it, money does not grow on trees and you worked hard for it. it. Look at other tractors - apple for apple comparison and use that info in your favor. That's how I did it for the CT sacnner. I knew what I wanted but used competitors info to get what I wanted not what the vendor wanted for me to buy. There is alot in the "Art of Negotiating" I just provided my one example. The dealer sells everyday but you are buying once. Get what you want/need from them on this tractor as you say "something i live with for the rest of my life". I hope you have not mentioned to the dealer that your a cash buyer. Keep that close and if asked "say" that you will do personal financing and leave it at that. Negotiate for a price you are happy with and then use your cash as the final negotiating piece. Cash talks loudest at the end. Good luck

idaho2
    convince me on the two remotes. I've been using a tractor with one and rarely use that one. I'm not an experienced farmer. What equipment should i expect to run that will 2 or 3?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast