Buying Advice Newbie question.

/ Newbie question. #1  

manwithplan46151

Tractor
1979 550c
Hi, I am a new member to the forum, Im from Manchester Ky. I am looking to buy a dozer to move some dirt and trees from my property. Question is.... I have found a 1979 550c John Deere, Im going to check it out better today. It looks like a good dozer has root ripper on the blade, Seller is asking $14,500 for it, I am hoping to buy it for 13,000......Is it worth $14,000 if it is in good working order? Thx in advance for any and all replies. I have never owned one. I am familiar with heavy equipment, as I am a truck driver and haved hauled them....Thats the extent of my knowledge. I hope I can get some advice before 2pm today. Thx.

/ Newbie question. #2  
Welcome to the forum:welcome:

If all you have done is haul them then I recommend you hire a dozer mechanic to look at it for you. Well worth couple of hundred bucks to be better informed as to what kind of condition the tracks and undercarriage, engine, drivetrain and hydraulics are in. I have had a 450 and 850 dozers and the cost of repairs can be staggering. Not trying to scare you away from purchasing but you do wan't to know what to expect from the machine.

/ Newbie question. #3  
:welcome: and good luck.

/ Newbie question.
I passed on this particular dozer....Took a friend who operates...he knows more than me. He suggest the track adjuster was too close to the front of the rail. Said it was worn bad to be stretched that far. My hunt is still on. I need a dozer, I been paying alot of cash out to have work done $1000 at a time. I got alot of clearing to do still. I feel like it makes good sense to buy one and do my own work. Anyone in Ky or close states have any ideas of where to buy? Can I buy a fair shaped one for $10---$12,000? Thx

/ Newbie question. #6  
Your thinking is right on but I think you are going to have a hard time finding that size dozer with a good undercarriage in your price range. My neighbor bought a Cat D3C LGP to clear a lot of his property. It had a new undercarriage so he was able to get his clearing done weekends, holidays and the like over a 2 year period. He then sold the Cat for more than he paid for it and bought an older JD 350 plus Kubota BX3030 for cleaning up. Of course he had the money sunk in the Cat for 2 years. I think it is about the same power class as the JD 550 you are looking at. He had to build a road across a swamp so the LGP came in handy but his work now is all on dry land so the smaller, lower investment machine works for him.

/ Newbie question. #7  
i agree with MHarryE on selecting a better machine if you can swing it. I would bet money it is cheaper to spend a little more money on the purchase starting out than to have to buy a worn out machine and rebuild it as you try to work. I have been there and done that. Bought the 850 brand new when I was younger and more ambitious.:eek: I switched from struggling with repairs to struggling with payments. Should have bought a good used machine at a substancial savings and that is what I would recommend you consider today.

/ Newbie question. #8  
if i were id rent one or hire someone to come in and do it you have no clue what a dozer cost to fix plus up keep ypu think a 1k is alot to fix broken parts on a older mach lol on a 943 cat to buy a used motor back in 1990 it was 4k and new rails that was 10k in 1988 now the cost today 2x-2.5x a good used mach try 50k at least

/ Newbie question.
Trust me.....Im 52 years old. Lived in the country all my life, I do know the cost of repairs, Thats why I am being very cautious about buying one. I know they sell used dozers everyday to people with less than what I have. I will be super easy on a machine. I feel if it checks out with what im looking for, It will last me a long time. I have 46 acres of land and i want probably 20 of it cleared. Hiring someone to do it is out of the question. I have done paid out too much to others guys with used dozers to do what I have had done so far. I am convinced I can buy a decent dozer for 12----16,000. I have 12,000 cash, I might have to borrow some to go with it to get the dozer I need, But I sure refuse to pay any more $60 per hour. I would never get my work done hiring someone to do it....Thx for the advice though.....Not being sarcastic....Just being real. Thx

/ Newbie question. #10  
I'm sure you can find a nice machine in that price range. A couple of years back, I was out for a bike ride and saw a very nice 1983 Case 450B for sale and ended up paying $7000. It seems like you're looking for a bigger machine. As others have mentioned, inspect carefully since parts and repairs are high for dozers