Buying Advice Help cure ignorance....mine

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #1  

NorthPole

Tractor
None
I'm in the market for my first small tractor (35-45 HP, 4WD) to do some tree/ground clearing on the 4 acres around my house. While I have operated a tractor (a friend's CAT 410) for a couple of days, I'm by no means an "old hand". We have the following dealers in town: Kubota, John Deere and Case. I visited Kubota and JD today, Case was closed. If a Kubota, I'm leaning toward the L3800 or maybe the L4600/MX4700 (definately on the large side of what I think I need). They had a nice L3940, but I don't think the approximately $10K for cab and fancy stuff is where I want to go.

John Deere had absolute no tractors in the showroom. They have a 4005 with manual trans in their other store (350 miles south). Look at the data, it doesn't seem like a bad machine at all. I will most likely be using this in a way that will require a lot of back-forth. How big an annoyance is the "manual" transmission? The Deere dealer was much more personable and knowldgeabe than the Kubota dealer. Although the Deere guy said that all the manufacturer's machines are pretty close, it's the attachemetns you need to look at. He specifically mentioned the capacity of the FEL that the Kubota's maybe a little weak. Humm. Looking at the spec sheet the JD 4005 with the 300CX FEL can lift 1256 lbs at full height. While the Kubota L3800 will 1490 lbs, the L4600 will do 1684 lbs and the MX4700 is rated at 1874 lbs. He did mention that JD is now making the dealers pay for shippment to Alaska which is drive up the price about $1,500. This would not apply to the tractor in stock. Kubota makes you pay the freight and has assembly charges.

I have no brand loyalites. Although I will say I really don't want to buy a Chineese product. Given how much / hard I'll use this, it will be my one and only tractor purchase, so I want to get it right. Any thoughts out there about yanmar 4-clynder v. Kubota 3-clynder (4 for hte MX4700) engines? Is HST a "must have" or just really nice?

Thanks in advance,

John

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #2  
When I bought my tractor almost two years ago, this is what I did. I checked with all the tractor owners in my area, and got their opinions. I drove several tractors at the dealers in my area. I was in no hurry, because this would probably be my last tractor that I bought in this Life. In the end, I bought the tractor that offered the accessories that I wanted, and at the Dealership that provided the best service and a Parts Dept. to match. I also chose the tractor with sufficient HP that served my current needs and possibly for future endeavors. BTW, I chose a tractor with 4 cylinders. Best wishes.

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #3  
Both companies seem to offer pretty good, comparable machines. I am a little partial to JD only because that is what I have and am familiar with the dealer and am confident with the parts availability as I have an older tractor. From what I have heard, Kubota is pretty good as well for parts, but I don't know first hand so I feel comfortable with Deere. It seems that Kubota gives you more dollar for dollar though, but for some reason I get more of a "stuck-up" kinda feeling from the couple different Kubota dealers I have talked to... I feel like I am at a Bentley dealer or something.

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #4  
I would also add, that when comparing loader lift capacities, you are comparing the same thing. Sometimes they rate it at at the pin, and sometimes a certain distance away. Obviously there is a big difference between being able to lift 1500 lbs at the pin and 1500 lbs 18" in front of the pin.

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #6  
I also have to say I don't understand the Deere dealer's "look at the implements" claim. There's no reason to buy implements from the dealer, and frankly, you can probably get much better deals buying used from other farmers, at auction, off Craigslist, etc... Does Kubota make a better implement than Deere? Who cares, because you're buying a Land Pride or a Woods. It's seldom the case that tractor-branded implements are EITHER the best OR the cheapest. The only reason I would buy my implements from my tractor dealer would be if I needed to roll them into the tractor's financing.

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #7  
Welcome to TBN NorthPole.

First I see you're near Fairbanks, and although I've never been to Alaska, a friend of mine lived there for a time and told me how brutal the winters are. Besides tree and ground clearing, I'm going to assume that snow removal is another priority. With that in mind, I would get a cab. Also I have no idea how old you are; but I'm going to suggest you look at this as a real long term purchase. Get what you want on the machine including a factory cab to make your life easier as you get older. Most guys working in and around trees like open station tractors to minimize the chances of branches damaging a cab. To me, based on where you live, an open station tractor is a fair weather machine limited to your short summers; but I freely admit that I'm a weather wimp.

I've never been around a Case, so I can't comment on them. Deere and Kubota make good machines. I'm partial to Deere as that is what I own, and when I was shopping for my rig, the Kubota dealers near me were real dicks. Plus I don't like the Kubota treadle system. That is another subject like HST vs gear, R1 vs R4 tires, etc has been debated more than the budget deficit in Congress.

I like manual transmissions in my cars and trucks; but prefer HST for my tractors as loader work is the bulk of what I do. A HST makes precise tractor positioning easy. That sucks that the Deere dealer has no selection for you to look at as I think you should sit on all three brands and test drive them around the lot.

As for the implement comment made by the dealer. Implement quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer; but a CAT 1 implement fits a CAT 1 hitch regardless of manufacturer.

Since you are way west of the Mississippi River, and way far north of most everyone else; don't be surprised to find used equipment is scarce, and when it does come on the market, it's probably beat to crap. Check Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder and www.tractorhouse.com to get an idea of the used market for your area.

I'll close my verbose post by suggesting you look up posts by your fellow Alaskan AKFISH as he has a Deere, and 4SHORTS out of Newfoundland who has a Kubota. Both of these members are very knowledgeable.

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #8  
I'm in the market for my first small tractor (35-45 HP, 4WD) to do some tree/ground clearing on the 4 acres around my house. While I have operated a tractor (a friend's CAT 410) for a couple of days, I'm by no means an "old hand". We have the following dealers in town: Kubota, John Deere and Case. I visited Kubota and JD today, Case was closed. If a Kubota, I'm leaning toward the L3800 or maybe the L4600/MX4700 (definately on the large side of what I think I need). They had a nice L3940, but I don't think the approximately $10K for cab and fancy stuff is where I want to go.

John Deere had absolute no tractors in the showroom. They have a 4005 with manual trans in their other store (350 miles south). Look at the data, it doesn't seem like a bad machine at all. I will most likely be using this in a way that will require a lot of back-forth. How big an annoyance is the "manual" transmission? The Deere dealer was much more personable and knowldgeabe than the Kubota dealer. Although the Deere guy said that all the manufacturer's machines are pretty close, it's the attachemetns you need to look at. He specifically mentioned the capacity of the FEL that the Kubota's maybe a little weak. Humm. Looking at the spec sheet the JD 4005 with the 300CX FEL can lift 1256 lbs at full height. While the Kubota L3800 will 1490 lbs, the L4600 will do 1684 lbs and the MX4700 is rated at 1874 lbs. He did mention that JD is now making the dealers pay for shippment to Alaska which is drive up the price about $1,500. This would not apply to the tractor in stock. Kubota makes you pay the freight and has assembly charges.

I have no brand loyalites. Although I will say I really don't want to buy a Chineese product. Given how much / hard I'll use this, it will be my one and only tractor purchase, so I want to get it right. Any thoughts out there about yanmar 4-clynder v. Kubota 3-clynder (4 for hte MX4700) engines? Is HST a "must have" or just really nice?

Thanks in advance,

looks as if you're doing a great job in research. at this point it may come down to quality of dealership service....but....you might also take a closer look @ your initial reasons for tractor purchase: "clearing" land with a 40hp tractor could be counter productive and better done by either renting or hiring the right equip for the job then looking at your realistic tractor needs for the future (which may well be in the 40hp range) trying to remove even small saplings & stumps may very time consuming and over the head of an already lightweight kubota that you're looking at. good luck

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #9  
personal bias

cab allows work in bad weather...and you WILL be out in bad weather.

HST shines in safety for precise operation and back/forth

both reduce fatigue, thus increase safety.

best wishes

/ Help cure ignorance....mine #10  
If you get into removing trees a backhoe would be nice. Cab is also nice for cold/hot weather.

Consider the hydrostatic transmission.

Try and drive some different tractors to get an idea of ergonomics. (I have heard one fellow comment on the placing of a shift lever as very relevant to his choice):D