Price Check third function.

/ third function. #11  
Can't speak universally, but this guy?

...used a Fasse multplier and controller to get his third function for his Grapple. He does a step-by-step with that thread pretty well. (Granted, it's on a BX25, but I think you would find it applicable.)

(The hydro/valve stuff mostly starts on page 4 of the thread, btw)

A true 3ed function is an independent valve in the flow path of the hyd system.

The selector/diverter valve is simply a switching circuit for the hyd and has no flow until activated by the FEL lever and a switch to activate the solenoid.

Either one can control a grapple.

/ third function.
Is one any better than the other I see they are priced about the same.

/ third function. #13  
Is one any better than the other I see they are priced about the same.

Only my opinion, but with a diverter you have 100% control of what it is controlling and they are very easy to install. With a true 3rd function the valve is either open or closed, nothing in between. I have never used a true 3rd function so I can't honestly comment if the open closed deal is good or bad. I know that I am completely satisfied with all of my diverters though. ;) I don't have complete kits yet, but I can get you everything to do what you need to do for about $500, 3rd function or diverter.

Let me know if you feel that I might be able to help you. ;)

/ third function. #14  
I have used a 3rd function, but never used a diverter. I can say that using the 3rd function for a grapple worked just fine. Nothing ever moved too fast. In fact, most of the time I wished the grapple would open/close more quickly. It was easy enough to precisely control the grapple with just touching the button as opposed to holding it down.

ac

/ third function. #15  
avc8130,

The tractor specs say that your L45 tractor will pump about 25 GPM.

If that is true and you are running the tractor at med to max rpm, You should have a very fast grapple using the 3ed function. You are talking about a solenoid operated 3ed function valve , correct.

As soon as you put 12 v to the solenoid, you would have full flow, if there are no restrictors inserted in the grapple circuit.

/ third function. #16  
A true 3ed function is an independent valve in the flow path of the hyd system.

The selector/diverter valve is simply a switching circuit for the hyd and has no flow until activated by the FEL lever and a switch to activate the solenoid.

Either one can control a grapple.
JJ, Your clarity in hydraulic issues is invaluable. Thank you. I might add that putting in a selector switch can double the usage of 1 remote valve.

/ third function. #17  
avc8130,

The tractor specs say that your L45 tractor will pump about 25 GPM.

If that is true and you are running the tractor at med to max rpm, You should have a very fast grapple using the 3ed function. You are talking about a solenoid operated 3ed function valve , correct.

As soon as you put 12 v to the solenoid, you would have full flow, if there are no restrictors inserted in the grapple circuit.

That spec is a fudge. That is combined between the main pump and the steering/swing pump. Main pump is only 11.8 gpm.

Now, I haven't had a 3rd function on my L45 (yet) but had it on my L39. Same flow rate I believe and it was a solenoid valve. It certainly was not too fast.

I used the grapple to pick up logs and other wooden materials mostly. Smashing them didn't matter. I did use the grapple to move my portable generator a lot and never had any trouble not squishing it.

ac

/ third function. #18  
Say you have 11.8 GPM and an 18 in shaft on a 3 in cyl on the grapple.

The extend speed would be about 2.83 sec, and retract would be about 2.14 sec. That is fairly quick.

/ third function. #19  
Say you have 11.8 GPM and an 18 in shaft on a 3 in cyl on the grapple.

The extend speed would be about 2.83 sec, and retract would be about 2.14 sec. That is fairly quick.

The one problem with your calcs is that as far as I know of anyway, :confused3: no grapple uses 3" dia cylinders. Smaller dia cylinders are normally used and so the movement should be quite a bit faster. (I think) :eek:

/ third function. #20  
Hey guys while we r kinda on the subject, would a diverter valve have enough flow to run a hyd. post hole auger? Or is that where the true third function is better? Or would either be just fine? :confused3: