Price Check third function.

/ third function.
Hey guys while we r kinda on the subject, would a diverter valve have enough flow to run a hyd. post hole auger? Or is that where the true third function is better? Or would either be just fine? :confused3:

That is a good question surely someone knows?

/ third function. #22  
Some people are not handy or knowledgeable and want someone to make up a kit exactly for their tractor, and if they want to spend that kind of money, then so be it.

I just can not see the money in the kits.

I added rear hydraulics with the JD kit for my tractor specifically because I'm not up to speed on hydraulics. I'm still a hydro newbie, but I've been reading the Vickers Hydraulics manual and looking forward to the next project.

I would like to use the rear controls for top 'n' tilt and add a 3rd function for a grapple. I would love to save some $ and buy parts, rather than a 3rd function kit. Anyone know of a parts list, DIY blogs, etc. for adding a 3rd function from parts rather than a kit?

/ third function. #23  
Say you have 11.8 GPM and an 18 in shaft on a 3 in cyl on the grapple.

The extend speed would be about 2.83 sec, and retract would be about 2.14 sec. That is fairly quick.

Well, 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. The Kubota 3rd function kit I had included a hidden flow restriction.
2. This isn't an issue in practice.

The grapple function never worked faster than I could handle. Now, realize I was using a GST tractor. I rarely set the rpm very high and used the foot throttle to maneuver the tractor and speed up the hydraulics when necessary.

ac

/ third function. #24  
The one problem with your calcs is that as far as I know of anyway, :confused3: no grapple uses 3" dia cylinders. Smaller dia cylinders are normally used and so the movement should be quite a bit faster. (I think) :eek:

I agree, I used that example as the extreme. And yes, it would be faster.

Don't know why avc8130 grapple was slow.

Cylinder Speed single cyl

Bore Size 2 inches
Rod Diameter 1 inches
Pump Flow 11.8 GPM

Extension Speed 14.5 inches per second = 1.25 sec
Retraction Speed 19.3 inches per second = .93 sec

/ third function. #25  
Chickengrower,

If the valve is sized for the flow in GPM, any type valve will run the auger.

You can use a selector valve, a true 3d function, or remote valve.

/ third function. #26  
I added rear hydraulics with the JD kit for my tractor specifically because I'm not up to speed on hydraulics. I'm still a hydro newbie, but I've been reading the Vickers Hydraulics manual and looking forward to the next project.

I would like to use the rear controls for top 'n' tilt and add a 3rd function for a grapple. I would love to save some $ and buy parts, rather than a 3rd function kit. Anyone know of a parts list, DIY blogs, etc. for adding a 3rd function from parts rather than a kit?

3ed function parts for grapple

Surplus Center - 12 VDC 10 GPM OC DA SOLENOID VALVE

Surplus Center - 1 STATION DO3 SUBPLATE OPEN CENTER

Selector/diverter valve for grapple.

Surplus Center - 12 VDC 13.2 GPM SAE 8 DOUBLE SELECTOR VALVE

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7852.pdf

Plus hoses, wire and switches.

/ third function. #27  
Thanks JJ! You da man! :thumbsup::wave:

/ third function. #28  
I agree, I used that example as the extreme. And yes, it would be faster.

Don't know why avc8130 grapple was slow.

Cylinder Speed single cyl

Bore Size 2 inches
Rod Diameter 1 inches
Pump Flow 11.8 GPM

Extension Speed 14.5 inches per second = 1.25 sec
Retraction Speed 19.3 inches per second = .93 sec

JJ,

I can't argue with the math, it is sound. Again, I didn't usually run the grapple at full rpm. I also had 2 cylinders on my grapple.

It could also be noted that Everything Attachments, WR Long and Kubota all sell 3rd function kits. I don't believe ANY of them have any flow restriction. Lots of happy users on these forums and I don't see anyone complaining about how fast their grapples operate.

ac

/ third function. #29  
   / third function. #30