Buying Advice Utility farm tractor advice

/ Utility farm tractor advice #1  

ernstv

Tractor
Oliver 770
I am looking for feed-back regarding suggested tractor models that would work well for my small farming operation (30 acres of wild hay, 40 acres of CRP, 0.5 mile drive way).

I currently own an Oliver 770 gas tractor (wide front), that I have used for the last 20 years for baling, mowing, manure spreading and snow removal duties. Engine HP is in the mid to upper 50's, with a PTO rating of 47. During haying season, I use a 9ft. New Holland 'haybine' for cutting, and a (small) IH baler. During my tenure, I have never felt this tractor to be under-powered.

Having reached a stage of my life where money is more abundant, I am exploring the notion of replacing the Oliver with something a bit newer. What I had in mind, was a tractor of similar HP and capabilities, however, with the added luxury of having a heated/cooled cab.

Having looked (and visited) with a number of dealers, it appears that most all manufacturers have something in their line-up that (I feel) fits my needs. At this point I have the following models on my radar:

Kubota M5700 & M6800
Mahindra 6110
Kioto DK65

Ideally, I would like to find a 'gently' used model of later vintage with (up to) 1,000-1,500 hrs on it.

My visits with dealers have been somewhat frustrating, in that all have tried to steer me to their larger models once I have shared what usage the tractor will see. As such, I am looking for your input. I don't necessarily conform to the 'bigger is better' notion, and actually wouldn't mind a tractor with a smaller foot print, as the Oliver can be a bit of a beast around the yard. However, I do understand that I may have to consider factors other than HP ratings when shopping around.

I plan to use this tractor until retirement (15-20 yrs), with anticipated yearly usage of approx. 100 hrs.

Your thoughts?

/ Utility farm tractor advice #2  
Partial to the Kubota M5700. We have one (my BIL's) and it handles the disc mower and square baler just fine. He has borrowed a large round baler and it made 6' bales just fine in heavy southern fescue hay. It is a good tractor and heavy enough. We have two dealers that can support our needs and both are within a 45 minute drive.

/ Utility farm tractor advice #3  
like what ted said keep a dealer close . and with the hp you got now you mite not like one with the same hp ..exp MF 50 hp is less the a Deere 50 hp tractor its how they rate them they are legally a 50hp just tested dif

/ Utility farm tractor advice #4  
I'd watch eBay and Craigslist for the type/size tractor you want. A lot of 10-20 year old tractors show up regularly there.

My large tractor is a 2005 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, partially synchronized gear tranny 8F/2R, triple hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, skid steer quick attach bucket). Cost new was $19K. Something like this might go for $12-14K now.

Good luck.

/ Utility farm tractor advice #5  
Oops--make that a 2008 Mahindra 5525.

/ Utility farm tractor advice #6  
The only one of the 3 that you mentioned, that matches the weight of your Oliver is the Kioti. The others are light enough that you would notice the difference. I think that's why the dealers are steering steering you into something bigger.

/ Utility farm tractor advice #7  
One of the important things to think about is weight. My MX5100 and my BIL's 5700 don't differ in HP by much - the 5700 is less than 10 hp greater. The 5700 has more weight because it is a bigger tractor and it is 4x4. I really don't like the baler behind the 5100 because of the weight of the baler and the shake caused by the plunger that packs the bales. You will find the modern tractors will weigh less than the older tractors like the Oliver. So I suppose size matters:shocked: .... as much as hp. Some brands weigh more than others. I understand that Mahindras weigh more. Nothing wrong with the weight difference - you just need to pick what suits your needs.

/ Utility farm tractor advice #8  
The M-series Kubota's are nice solid tractors, but they are a little light. Either of the models you mentioned would handle a mower conditioner and square baler though. You might also look into the 5000 series Deere's. I have a 5203 which is 44 PTO hp and it is a nice size for a small haying operation.

Regardless, all of these tractors are going to be a little bit smaller than what you have despite being the same hp. IIRC the 770 Oliver was a 6cyl tractor and had 38" rubber, so not a small tractor. The big old row crop tractors were much nicer for field work but not as handy as a smaller utility tractor around the farmyard. Are you planning on 4wd and a loader?

/ Utility farm tractor advice #9  
If you are interested in a Mahindra 5530 with 50hrs on it there is a thread started by AMSTAFF over in the mahindra buying/pricing forum. He is looking to unload his machine with several implements at a reasonable price. I only mention this cause you said you would like a slightly used machine. Good luck in your search.

/ Utility farm tractor advice
Thanks all for your advice. In my search, I will not only look for HP, but will consider weight as well. I have noticed that most all of the tractors I have looked at appear quite narrow too (in the rear), any concerns with that?