Which Tractor?

/ Which Tractor? #1  

AndyM

Veteran Member
Tractor
1948 Ford 8N and 1993 Toro WheelHorse 520H
The CFO has already said I can buy a new tractor when she's working again. Now that those prospects are looking pretty good, I'm drooling over a couple of possibilities...

First, a little background-- We have roughly 3.6 acres, 210 feet wide by 760 feet deep. The house is about 250 feet from the road. The lot is very flat, except for a low spot that runs from roughly 50 to 100 feet from the road. I'm attaching a recent picture of it. (Bear in mind that we've had over 12 inches of rain this month, usually by July it's hard ground and you can drive right through it!) Anyhoo, the lot is generally flat but wet (mushy). I drive over some of the property with the 8N and create ruts while I'm mowing. The lot is treed but not wooded (I would call it "park like").

Here are my possibilities for roughly the same amount of money--

I was looking at 25hp models from Homiers and Northern Tool with the FEL. Since I think this would be too much weight to mow with in my newly seeded yard and septic field, I am also considering a 48" riding mower to go with it. I would use it to cut the grass in front of the house and probably about 50 feet behind the house, and use the Homier or Northern Tool model with a rough cut mower to do the back that no one really sees.

I am also looking at New Holland TC18 with FEL. With the lighter weight, I would also use this to do ALL my mowing. I would either get a RFM or a MMM but I keep going back and forth on that also. I know there's a great debate on that one too, but what would be best for what I have? Also, if I bought the NH, I would get it with the R4 tires.

Given the backgroung information above, what would you all suggest? Any other recomendations instead of what I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 297383-IM000327.JPG
    297383-IM000327.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 424
   / Which Tractor? #2  
"I am also considering a 48" riding mower to go with it. I would use it to cut the grass in front of the house and probably about 50 feet behind the house..."

I use a Snapper rider (only 30 inch cut) near the house and my tractor for the rest. It works out great. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You'll get numerous responses as to tractor make, but an 18-22 hp CUT would work out good for you... small enough to maneuver but big enough to landscape and maintain the property with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a 20 hp Iseki 4wd that plows, digs ditches, grades, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Which Tractor? #3  
I use a 1510 Yanmar for cutting my lawn lot of power for a small tractor. If you'r looking for something with a FEL, look in the TBN classifieds there is a 1802D with loader available. This tractor is light & has plenty of power for what you would need. I could deliver it to Canel Fulton next weekend if you are intrested.

/ Which Tractor? #4  
I've got 11+ acres (3ac dense woods 3ac in crops) and use a Cub Cadet lawn tractor with 54" deck plus a NH TC24D with a rear discharge Befco 60" finish mower. The little Cub can mow the whole property. I think your NH TC18 would make you very happy, it is small, light and will turn on a dime. My TC24 turns almost as tight as the Cub Cadet, but the ROPS hits the smaller trees.

I like the frame size of the NH, it is big enough, but not too big. The Northern tractors are another frame size larger and don't have the tight turning radius of the TC18/21/24.

Also, just for comparison, I also have an Oliver Super 55 Diesel with is almost identical in size/weight to your 8n. After getting the NH TC24 we completely stopped using the Oliver. 7' diameter turns versus 25' turns. I gave up some power but not enough worry about, even when I put a blade in the back and pull the ditches. The work gets done faster with the smaller tractor.

By the way, anyone want to buy a really nice running + good looking (mostly restored) Oliver?

/ Which Tractor? #5  
I am not sure what if you are going to do anything besides mowing. If you are mostly going to do mowing I would look at the Bx2200. Great little tractor so I hear. You can get with with an FEL. There are Bx2200 owners that can tell you more than I can. I would give it a look at

Dave

/ Which Tractor? #6  
Not to start a war or anything, but your needs do not match up well with a Northern (chinese) or grey market tractor. You need something with a live, mid-pto and a good MMM. The aforementioned BX would be my first stop, the TC18 is another great option with a bit larger frame. I know many folks who use a BX as a primary mower, alleviating the need for a second ride-on of some sort. You didnt mentione budget, though - and since you looked at Northern I fear you may be trying to do this on the cheap - which is fine.

If you cant swing a new BX (great financing right now) look for a used smaller (possibly hydrostatic) machine which will get you the live pto and likely MMM. Good examples in the $5,000 range would be '80s vintage Kubotas (B6100, 6200, 7100, 7200) or Fords (1210, 1220, 1320, etc). You may also run accross a Case/IH 234 or 235 both of which were made by Mitsubishi and often have a MMM. All of these options are essentially forerunners to the BX. Same idea, but cheaper due to age. Many are in great shape since they have been stored inside and used primarily for mowing.

Just my two cents, but in terms of reliability, resale, parts availability - I would take a 20 year old Kubota or Ford over a lesser known brand.

/ Which Tractor? #7  
AndyM,

Myself, given the choices you listed...I would not blink twice before going for the TC18.

I just would not want to chance the headachs that might come with those other choices.

A big 3 tractor is a good choice. Good warrenty if needed, good parts availability. But most important...good reliability.

I have about the same property as you...3.7 acres to deal with here...and for the small jobs, but mainly mowing, I just bought a bx2200 Kubota. I simply love it for grass cutting... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a bigger Kubota, so I have not used the bx for other things yet. But hey, it only has 3.5 hours on it now...just came this week... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...won't be long before it is working as hard as the other one!

Enjoy the decision process...

/ Which Tractor? #8  
Hey I have a Yanmar YM1700, gray market tractor. And I have 7 1/3 acres, and it does the job very well. Nothing wrong with the gray market tractors. The people that knock them are generally people that know nothing about them.they cost a lot less, but still do the job just fine. After all the Yanmar makes most of the John Deere compacts, and they most think they are good. I wanted an extra key for mine, so went to John Deere and got one of theirs, the same exact thing.

/ Which Tractor? #9  
AndyM,
I used to have a Yanmar YM1700. It would out-perform the TC18 all day as far as mowing or box blading. But I wanted a FEL, Hydro, Power steering. So I bought a TC18 with the above and a MMM. No way will I ever regret that decision. It is a great tractor for my 2 acres.
Take a look at them, with the financing, it's a good tractor to have. I have no complaints on the YM1700..........but I wanted more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which Tractor? #10  
I would try to find a older 55 series like a 655, 755 which is hydrostatic and live PTO or a 70 series like the 670, 770 for your needs. They are great little tractors and you could get one pretty cheap because they would be from the 80s or early to mid 90s. Or if you prefer a 2210 is a very nice subcompact tractor. You can still order mowers and loaders for the 55 & 70 series. I would choose one of these over a older Kubota or Ford anyday or the week. As for the mower is you have a lot of trees to go around I would get the MMM if it is mostly open a RFM would be a fine choice and it can be quickly removed from the tractor. I have a MMM and a new RFM and its not hard to get used to the mower on the back. Great parts and service are still available from John Deere if you choose a JD compact! Good luck with your tractor purchase.

Nick
990 4x4 turf, 272 RFM, 430 loader, 25A flail