Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #1  

owkaye

Tractor
none
Hello,

I have a chance to buy an "old type" (serial number less than N60163) Kubota B7100 HST. It is a 4wd tractor with good tires, and the seller doesn't know the year it was manufactured, but it has more than 3000 hours on it. This seems like a LOT of hours for one of these little tractors, don't you think?

The seller's ad said the tractor needs a front drive shaft. I asked him how he bent or broke it and he said it did not have a front drive shaft when he bought it. He also said he bought it recently from an out-of-town Kubota dealer in Theodore, Alabama so he could resell it for a profit here in Biloxi -- which means he really doesn't know much about this tractor.

He told me he just finished putting a new front drive shaft on it, and he said it does run in four wheel drive now. I asked him if it starts hard and he said "sort of" which of course means "yes". He also said it smokes when it starts cold, but then when it warms up it does not smoke any more. Are either of these issues "red flags" that should discourage me from buying this tractor?

He's asking $2700 which I felt might be a great price until I learned that it has 3000+ hours on it. Now I'm not so sure his asking price is all that great. What do you think?

I'm planning to go look at it tomorrow, but since I have little knowledge of what to look for and what to ask, I'm hoping that you folks might give me some suggestions -- so I can try to avoid getting stuck with a lemon that might cost me more to fix than what I buy it for.

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #2  
Hello,

I have a chance to buy an "old type" (serial number less than N60163) Kubota B7100 HST. It is a 4wd tractor with good tires, and the seller doesn't know the year it was manufactured, but it has more than 3000 hours on it. This seems like a LOT of hours for one of these little tractors, don't you think?

The seller's ad said the tractor needs a front drive shaft. I asked him how he bent or broke it and he said it did not have a front drive shaft when he bought it. He also said he bought it recently from an out-of-town Kubota dealer in Theodore, Alabama so he could resell it for a profit here in Biloxi -- which means he really doesn't know much about this tractor.

He told me he just finished putting a new front drive shaft on it, and he said it does run in four wheel drive now. I asked him if it starts hard and he said "sort of" which of course means "yes". He also said it smokes when it starts cold, but then when it warms up it does not smoke any more. Are either of these issues "red flags" that should discourage me from buying this tractor?

He's asking $2700 which I felt might be a great price until I learned that it has 3000+ hours on it. Now I'm not so sure his asking price is all that great. What do you think?

I'm planning to go look at it tomorrow, but since I have little knowledge of what to look for and what to ask, I'm hoping that you folks might give me some suggestions -- so I can try to avoid getting stuck with a lemon that might cost me more to fix than what I buy it for.

try over here for more info, lot of great guys that work on the older kabota

OrangeTractorTalks | Kubota Tractor Tips, Classifieds, Specifications and Discussion

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #3  
Those B7100 Kub's are capable of a lot of hours we had one from new until we sold it off still runnging fine @ according to the broken hour meter @4000hrs+ & we still have a old B7100 FEL/BH that just cloocked over 6300hrs with no signs of giving up the ghost yet - all comes down to basic good maintenance practices (clean filters, the best oils & regular coolant changes).

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #4  
Take it for test spin,try diffe.locking see if there slips,also check rer axle see if tires are sloppy do to wear.

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #5  
My Kubotas B7100 had 3000 hours on it when traded on a larger tractor. It ran well, used no oil and the hydro was no different than when new. Hard starting and smoke were normal since new on it.:thumbsup:

The Little Mule.:D

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #6  
check all the fluids in the tractor look at the pp s check for wear check hoses belts and boots

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours
All comes down to basic good maintenance practices (clean filters, the best oils & regular coolant changes).
... which I have no idea about of course since the current owner bought it from a dealer and has no idea how it was treated during its 3000+ hour lifetime.

Take it for test spin, try diffe.locking see if there slips, also check rear axle see if tires are sloppy do to wear. Check all the fluids in the tractor look at the pp s check for wear check hoses belts and boots
Tires look very good in the pix. What do I look for at the rear axle? Where is the lever that engages the differential lock? What is the "pp s"?

Hard starting and smoke were normal since new on it.
So hard starting is not a deal breaker or an indication of anything serious? Thanks.

/ Kubota B7100 HST 4wd 3000+ hours #8  
... which I have no idea about of course since the current owner bought it from a dealer and has no idea how it was treated during its 3000+ hour lifetime.

Tires look very good in the pix. What do I look for at the rear axle? Where is the lever that engages the differential lock? What is the "pp s"?

So hard starting is not a deal breaker or an indication of anything serious? Thanks.

I have one, excellent machine. I'm in FL so it's never really cold but the preheat for the glow plugs helps a lot to make it start quickly and with no smoke...