Buying Advice New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #1  

jetrolee

Tractor
8n
New to the Forum. Already read a lot of great info. Hope someone can help.
Found a Belarus 250as for what appears to be a good price.
All that is said to be wrong is:
Needs Injector pump
Battery
Seat
My question for those that are familiar with these tractors.
What do i need to look for when going over the tractor? What are some signs of trouble I need to be aware of since this thing needs a battery and I may not be able to get it started or even turn the engine over.

Just do not want to buy a huge paper weight or money pit.

Jeffrey

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #2  
You might consider bring a battery with you to crank it up. You can find out which injector pump is on the tractor and see what that costs to rebuild, there is a good injector shop in north MS around Olive Branch. Core Info : American Diesel Service, Power Stroke Duramax Cummins Diesel Parts, Pumps, Injectors, & Gaskets

You say "Just do not want to buy a huge paper weight or money pit" but it appears you have heard enough negative comments about the brand already. Might want to consider heeding that advice.

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
As to the negative vs positive on the tractors.... it is about 50/50. From reading on here. Folks seem to want the parts at the local shop. I am ok with waiting a few days for parts to arrive if needed.
As to my comment on the money pit.... I wanted someone with experience on these tractors that could give me some things to look for that are dead on indications of more serious problems... IE.. "Look at housing around starter for cracking this is indicates a bad casting." That type of thing. I can pretty much fix anything. Just like to have those little tips on things that can indicate future issues that I really do not want to deal with.
I am bouncing between an 8n or this tractor. They both have their pros and cons. I know parts for the 8n are readily available. Just did not want to pass up a decent deal on a tractor with more HP for implements.:drink:

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #4  
New to the Forum. Already read a lot of great info. Hope someone can help.
Found a Belarus 250as for what appears to be a good price.
All that is said to be wrong is:
Needs Injector pump
Battery
Seat
My question for those that are familiar with these tractors.
What do i need to look for when going over the tractor? What are some signs of trouble I need to be aware of since this thing needs a battery and I may not be able to get it started or even turn the engine over.

Just do not want to buy a huge paper weight or money pit.

Jeffrey

I have a neighbor who had a Belarus as well as a Deutz. He has since got rid of both not as much due to them being bad machines, but because of the availibility and the cost of the parts. Might be worth looking into, you may have to wait, pay more shipping, and the higher overall starting price to me would be a great concern. As far as the injector pump, we had one rebuilt last year for a 45hp Kioti at a cost of $750. We no longer have the Kioti either, injector pump failed at just under or over (can't remember now) 1,000 hours. Followed by a water pump, and then a gas tank that was cracked all over the place.

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #5  
We no longer have the Kioti either, injector pump failed at just under or over (can't remember now) 1,000 hours. Followed by a water pump, and then a gas tank that was cracked all over the place.

Oh boy...
Our nearby Belarus dealer gave up the dealership years ago and switched to....Kioti!

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #6  
IMHO, the water cooled Belarus is a sturdy, crude, somewhat reliable tractor that has electrical and hyd oil leak issues. The air cooled Belarus is trash.

But if my choice was a Ford 9N that doesn't have live PTO, no power steering, has a troublesome carb, runs on gas has little power or a Belarus that needs expensive repairs, I'd call it a toss up.

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #7  
For what it's worth. The one thing i would not want to be wrong with a tractor I was gonna buy would be the injector pump. But if the price is right it would be hard to pass up.

/ New to Forum Looking for folks familiar to Belarus and no bashers #8  
As is the case with all tractors, sort of hard to check out much when it isn't running and has no electricity. No way to check the electrical system. No way to know if the clutch works and the transmission functions. I paid over $1300 for a Belarus injector pump that didn't improve the hard starting problem. But that was a larger tractor.
I saw a 925 Belarus with cab that ran good sell for under $4000 and a 75 horse 2WD Belarus, without cab,with under 1000 hours listed at $3500.
I'm not far from the US Distributor. You are not far from where a lot of Belarus were imported, so finding parts shouldn't be tough. I have found that any knowledge or experience in US electrical systems is of no use when working on a tractor that evolved far from modern electrical influence. I don't need brake lights, turn signals or a radio. I have managed to keep the starters replaced, the kill switch functioning and the batteries charged. Good enough. I have studied the 12 volt 24 volt starter relay and am confounded by the sheet metal strips that serve as fuses. Wires run from this relay and comingle with other shielded boxes containing diodes, resistors and rheostat-like components. The electrical diagrams are translated partly into English, but the symbols used might as well be Sanskrit. There is no oil filter, just a device created from a 1940s cream separator. No filter to buy, buy a bunch of carbon, a pile of blackened rags and a quart of carbon/diesel fuel that could be use to refill an ink cartridge. But it saved me an oil filter. Then they put three filters in the secondary fuel filter?
Right now there is a 250AS that runs good on ebay for around $1000 and a 500 that needs a bit of repair for under $1000.