Buying Advice Good used mini tractor

/ Good used mini tractor #1  

Sam in TN

So im looking for a diesel powered SCUT to keep a 2 acre yard mowed with. Found a Kubota B6100 HST with a 48" belly mower, but it has 2000 hours on it for $2200. While it seems to run good, isnt that approaching rebuild time? Also looking at a Yanmar YM1500 with only 500 hours on it that I can buy for $1800. It seems like a better deal but then I would need a finish mower and an over run clutch for the pto as I dont think it has live or independent PTO.

How many hours are those older Kubotas good for before needing engine or tran work? I really like the idea of a belly mower, just dont want to take on a money pit. Or should I just go with the Yanmar and not look back?

/ Good used mini tractor #2  
By the time you add the cost of a mower to the Yanmar you may have more money in it than you wan't.

You might want to consider something easier to mow with such as a diesel 400 series Deere mower with hydro transmission. I think these would out mow the models you are considering. Mowing with an non syncro transmission is hard to like imo.

/ Good used mini tractor
Yea I know a large rider is probably the smart thing, I just really want a tractor. And yard maintenance kinda justifies it in my own little mind.;)

Just moved to a smaller place and miss my MF 135, plus would be nice to have something around to pull a fallen tree out of the way, blade snow off the drive, pull a trailer etc. Not sure what them ag tires would do to my yard though.

/ Good used mini tractor #4  
I bought the larger compacts before buying the garden tractor I have now. While a garden tractor isn't nearly as capable as a compact or larger tractor I find that they can get more done than I expected. I use a landplane, boxblade, landscape rake, chipper, carts, collection system, roto tiller, pine needle rake, spin spreader and other numerous attachments. I don't need a front blower or bucket but they are readily available.

To be clear there are alot of small tractors that will work in your case including Massey Fergusons' I would strongly recommend you get something with turf tires for mowing a nice lawn, power steering and hydrostatic tranny. Something such as a BX 1500 Kubota comes to mind.

About having a tractor I fully understand that, I went into custom tractor work a few years ago more out of want than need. I started over after many years without a tractor buying my Deere 820 and restoring it in 1997. Still have the tractor and used it last week. You might want to consider restoring a tractor of your choice but go for turf tires and wheels.

/ Good used mini tractor #5  
... isnt that approaching rebuild time? ...

Well, no, it's not ordinarily "that time" for Kubota diesels. They are some of the finest small diesels on the planet and reports of many thousands of hours operation are typical. They are widely used in maximum reliability situations such as marine engines, industrial gensets, portable pumps etc. Can't say whether that particular engine is OK or not, but presuming it's about done for solely based on the 2,000 hours is not supported by reality.

The Yanmar has a fine engine also, and the engines wouldn't be a deal maker/breaker for me between those two tractors. The Yanmar is a larger tractor, so choosing which size machine to buy would be the first question. Then you'd pretty much have to check out each tractor. With used equipment, finding the one in the best condition is maybe more important than the brand. Best of luck with your shopping.

/ Good used mini tractor #6  
My b7100 hst (probably very similar to a b6100hst) was a beast (I mean that in a good way). It was excellent at cutting grass (3pt finish mower), but would of been better with a belly mower if that was the majority of its work. I don't think a 400's series Deere even compares to the the b6100 (b7100). Plus you get 4 wheel drive, limited slip and a 3pt hitch.

/ Good used mini tractor #7  
My b7100 hst (probably very similar to a b6100hst) was a beast (I mean that in a good way). It was excellent at cutting grass (3pt finish mower), but would of been better with a belly mower if that was the majority of its work. I don't think a 400's series Deere even compares to the the b6100 (b7100). Plus you get 4 wheel drive, limited slip and a 3pt hitch.

Both types have their advantages and strong points, a small tractor such as the b6100 or b7100 can be very handy to have. Might work great for the OP since he wants a small tractor. The 455 mower with about 50% more pto power will easily outmow the b6100,7100 and be easier to use while doing it. Everyone has to pick and choose according to what best fits their needs. If you have a nice lawn and want it to stay that way a proper mower will work better than a subcompact tractor long term. A mower is best when it is light, has high floatation turf or hdap tires and is very manueverable, a tractor doing tractive type work is better being heavy with cleated tires such as R1's. Whenever you start combining the two machines you have to make compromises. These compromises can have an ill effect on the lawn or limit your ability to do other tractor related jobs.