Buying Advice HP, trans and tires!

/ HP, trans and tires! #11  
About the horse power needed Shysterk, you said you wanted to move hay. Would that include cutting and baling it yourself or just moving round bales around the barn yard? If your putting up your own hay with just one tractor it needs to be large enough to handle whatever baler you plan to use and a lot of todays balers of all types need 50 HP at the PTO. Also some of the round and large square bales weigh 1500lbs and you need a tractor that will lift twice that on both the 3PH and the loader to move them routinely and safely (need a smiley for just kicked a hornet's nest here). Figure out the work you want to do and the equipment you want to do it with and work backward from that to the tractor you need rather then get a tractor and then have trouble finding equipment it can pull that will get the job done.

/ HP, trans and tires! #12  
I would throw LS in the same category as New Holland if you're looking at CUTs....if parts are available for one, they'll work on the other as they're the sme machine. Buying a NH really only causes you to spend more when looking at new in that category.

I saw this just yesterday, and while it's a two hour drive (give or take) for you, I think it's the kind of used tractor you might find works well for you....still needs an FEL, but you said that could wait a year. I wouldn't be afraid of the hours since it appears to be in good shape....could always ask for service records, and schools like MSU are likely to stick with reputable dealers fr ongoing maintenance.

2001 Kubota L4310 With Plow and Salter

/ HP, trans and tires! #14  
what does the OP want to spend new or a used unit

/ HP, trans and tires! #15  
I recommend you stick with the major brands and there are several good ones to choose from. I don't consider Branson to be one of them, not picking on them but they haven't got a big enough footprint in the tractor arena. Kubota, Deere, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra, New Holland, Ford, Case IH all have had tractors and parts available for a number of years. Kioti is another brand that has gained ground in the last few years and seems to be well liked. Yanmar is another brand that has been around for years and can be a good tractor. So there are lots of what most consider to be a popular brand out there. When considering a used tractor you should check to see if you have a local dealer for that brand as that should help with service. It is best to be open minded about brands when shopping used and for the most part not limit yourself right out the gate.

About power I would recommend depending on what you find a deal on about 35 minimum to 60 maximum. Forty pto hp should work well for anything you need to do.

I would go with R1 tires if you need alot of traction but would say that R4 tires would be fine if you go with a rototiller instead of discing. Recognize that a forward rotation tiller actualy pushes the tractor forward in operation. i wouldn't let the difference in the tires choices between R1 and R4 make the difference in choosing a good used tractor.

I prefer the hydro transmissions but have both gear and hydro tractors today. For someone doing a wide variety of jobs I feel the hydro is a better choice. My tractors have the steering brakes on the left and go pedals on the right on the hydros so you can use a brake and a go pedal at the same time. Most gear tractors will have the clutch on the left and brakes on the right and this works well too. I would consider both gear and hydro tractors in searching for a good deal. Again the more you limit your choices the less youhave to pick from. Whatever you do make sure you get one with power steering as that would be far more important imo.

If you think you want a fel for the tractor then buy it now already mounted and included in the sale. Far cheaper than adding on later. I recommend you start checking on line at www.tractorhouse.com and Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder to familiarize yourself with some of the tractor models and get a rough idea of what prices are. Also read the forums here to get better aquainted in general.

Good advice here.

Also, that Kubota L4310 at MSU could be a good find worth a closer look. I have a similar model that has been dead solid reliable and hard working for more than 10 years now. I think you might have to fit a non-OEM brand of loader to it since that model series is from the 1998-2004 time period (or thereabouts). A Kubota dealer may not be able to find a new factory LA682 loader anymore (that's the specific model to fit that tractor) and it's kind of a trick finding one of those for sale separate from a tractor. It would also involve a bit of additional work because of the cab on that tractor, which requires a different setup for the joystick loader control. You'd probably be looking at something in the $4k range for a brand-new loader... don't know if that tractor and a loader are in your budget range, but it did look pretty nice.

Best of luck with your search. Keep the questions coming, there's a lot of knowledge among the folks here.

/ HP, trans and tires!
Ok i was hitting reply here directly under other users thinking that the reply would show up in that spot. So when Vtsnowedin put two listings up I tried to reply with "Appreciate the links but I'm really trying to stay within 1-2 hundred miles as I'm sure I'll be paying some trucking fees." But it showed up here right after the MSU listing. And I am definately getting some tips and reasoning that will come in handy. I think I'm going to re visit the TC40D with hydro, and there's a TN55 shuttle I still havent test drove. Again, neither of these have the FEL but I am absolutely fine with an aftermarket black loader on a blue, green, red or orange tractor. I have to say I drove a Kubota L3830HST and I think I'm in love. No loader but oh my.... its like a Cadillac compared to everthing else I've driven. I just wanna pull the trigger on it so bad but am worried it might be less than what I need as my projects and ideas grow. So any thoughts, concerns or experience doing a little discing or ground work with the Kubota L3830? Too light or just right?

Last edited:
   / HP, trans and tires!
excellent introspective and tips to boot! I did look at the NH TC40 w/loader 12x12 lh reverser....drove it around used hydraulics, nice solid tractor. A little rubbing on right front inside wheel. It is either from past (due to rust where contact was made) or still going on although I didnt notice anything while driving it. Actually the guy who traded it in pulled up on shoulder of the road just after I parked it and I got a little history from him. He had just traded it in two days earlier for something bigger, says he thought he was stressing the FEL too much picking up round bales and such so needed a bit more. He bought it with 900hrs on it and added a lil over 700 himself. So the add that drew me to this listed it as 626hrs and I know that extra thousand might not seem like a whole lot to some, but that misprint, the wheel rubbing (or was rubbing), and the previous owner telling me he beat the chit outta it....

/ HP, trans and tires! #18  
Just a thought, but with the Kubota, and two New Hollands you're mentioning, you're really talking about three machines that are all in different capability groups (although the Kubota and TC40 are fairly close in several areas) and aren't really good comparisons against one another. That will make narrowing things down that much harder :)

Last edited:
   / HP, trans and tires! #19  
Ok i was hitting reply here directly under other users thinking that the reply would show up in that spot. So when Vtsnowedin put two listings up I tried to reply with "Appreciate the links but I'm really trying to stay within 1-2 hundred miles as I'm sure I'll be paying some trucking fees." But it showed up here right after the MSU listing. And I am definately getting some tips and reasoning that will come in handy. I think I'm going to re visit the TC40D with hydro, and there's a TN55 shuttle I still havent test drove. Again, neither of these have the FEL but I am absolutely fine with an aftermarket black loader on a blue, green, red or orange tractor. I have to say I drove a Kubota L3830HST and I think I'm in love. No loader but oh my.... its like a Cadillac compared to everthing else I've driven. I just wanna pull the trigger on it so bad but am worried it might be less than what I need as my projects and ideas grow. So any thoughts, concerns or experience doing a little discing or ground work with the Kubota L3830? Too light or just right?

The L3830 is actually a little heavier tractor than a TC40, although they are basically in the same size and horsepower range. That size of "compact" tractor is very popular because they are large enough to so some serious work yet small enough to be economical to operate and very maneuverable. Both the Kubota and the NH were very good units and between them, for me it would come down to personal preference, what condition they are in and affordability. The TN55 is in another category and was designed for different work requirements. It's heavier, larger and more oriented to agriculture and field work. Also, the price tag for implements to fit a bigger tractor starts climbing when you get into 50+ hp equipment.

Just going from your description of your work, I'd think the L or TC type tractor would about be a perfect fit for your type of work. If you had a 200 acre farm operation of some sort, the TN would make more sense, but for 11 acres of mixed use, well that's exactly what those compact units were designed for. Any ground engagement work, such as tilling, disc harrow, etc. you might need to do on that property should be well within either tractor's capability.

/ HP, trans and tires!
So Grandad4, you think the hydro is fine for some discing and rototilling? Also, you mentioned one being heavier....why is that, and does it matter? I did notice the TC40D being heavier than the TC40, and I assumed that a hydro would weigh less than a manual.

Like you said I'm not farming 200 acres and even if I do, I think the Kobuta will still be a very good trade in! I did love driving that Kubota and I would think enjoying driving your tractor should be kinda important also. I just loved where all the controls were located, it felt very natural and I didnt feel like I was looking and feeling around all over the place for all the different gear levers. Also I've read some threads about NH TC's (might of just been aTC30 problem) almost breaking in half at the clutch housing, and the TC40's having some electrical issues. I know driving a tractor for a couple months would make everything second nature, but I think I would feel like that with the Kubota after only a couple hours. Can't knock NH though, my uncle in TN has a TC65? Anyways, what he does on a yearly basis with it is amazing, especially clearing some ridge paths that seem hard enough just to walk let alone drive and work a tractor!