Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: HP, trans and tires!

Quote Originally Posted by shysterk View Post
    Hi everyone...fairly new here. Although, I've been reading many discussions recently. Who knew there was so much to consider when buying a tractor? I have an old 9N with around 20hp. I'm looking to get another slightly used but nearly new tractor for around $10,000 plus or minus 3,000. Reliable name brand, with some history and plenty of replacement parts is very important. Would love a FEL but I am also willing to wait a yr to add one on. I wanna move dirt around, dig post holes, move hay, snow removal, brush cut, plant trees, plant various veggies on 3-5 acres and eventually I'd like to dig out a dairy(root cellar) and expand my pond from 1/4acre to 3/4acre (although I think I'll just have someone else do that with a big loader backhoe).

So, like I said, I'm fairly new to all this. I'm on 11 acres in S.E. MI, got some bees, goats n chickens, a dozen fruit trees and a gooey clay garden. Now I've planted 7 trees already and its been half heavy clay and half sandy loam. I also have neighbors who grow corn, orchards and whatever else. I'm currently considering a TN55 with 8x8trans, and a TC40D with hydro trans. I was told by a co-worker "get a TC30-HST w/FEL, 4x4 with R4 tires loaded with beet juice". All sounds good, but I do intend on discing and rototilling, or general ground work, I guess.

So considering all this, and hoping there may be someone out there with similiar conditions, let me first ask, what kind of tires should I go with? I may cut some grass with tractor too and dont want deep ruts in the grass. I did see some R-1 wide tires, any comments on these?

I'm also thinking I should go a little higher than 30 or 35hp....maybe 40-60hp? Is 4x4 necessary (gotta admit though...I want it!)

And lastly, is hydro trans really gonna get all this done? I am also not completely confident I am user friendly with a manual transmission and while I never had to replace a clutch in a car or my 9N, I've also never had either for very long.

Thanks in advance for any input, opinions, or other!
    No way "used ... , nearly new" Name brand 4wdloader ready 40+ HP for $13 - K. Love to find that myself. ... Better to stretch a bit above to get the whole package at once. Itll save money in the long run and only cost ~ $2K now.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    ford 9n

Default Re: HP, trans and tires!

Well thank you all for your input, advice and smart a** comments!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234