Buying Advice HP, trans and tires!

/ HP, trans and tires! #1  

shysterk

Tractor
ford 9n
Hi everyone...fairly new here. Although, I've been reading many discussions recently. Who knew there was so much to consider when buying a tractor? I have an old 9N with around 20hp. I'm looking to get another slightly used but nearly new tractor for around $10,000 plus or minus 3,000. Reliable name brand, with some history and plenty of replacement parts is very important. Would love a FEL but I am also willing to wait a yr to add one on. I wanna move dirt around, dig post holes, move hay, snow removal, brush cut, plant trees, plant various veggies on 3-5 acres and eventually I'd like to dig out a dairy(root cellar) and expand my pond from 1/4acre to 3/4acre (although I think I'll just have someone else do that with a big loader backhoe).

So, like I said, I'm fairly new to all this. I'm on 11 acres in S.E. MI, got some bees, goats n chickens, a dozen fruit trees and a gooey clay garden. Now I've planted 7 trees already and its been half heavy clay and half sandy loam. I also have neighbors who grow corn, orchards and whatever else. I'm currently considering a TN55 with 8x8trans, and a TC40D with hydro trans. I was told by a co-worker "get a TC30-HST w/FEL, 4x4 with R4 tires loaded with beet juice". All sounds good, but I do intend on discing and rototilling, or general ground work, I guess.

So considering all this, and hoping there may be someone out there with similiar conditions, let me first ask, what kind of tires should I go with? I may cut some grass with tractor too and dont want deep ruts in the grass. I did see some R-1 wide tires, any comments on these?

I'm also thinking I should go a little higher than 30 or 35hp....maybe 40-60hp? Is 4x4 necessary (gotta admit though...I want it!)

And lastly, is hydro trans really gonna get all this done? I am also not completely confident I am user friendly with a manual transmission and while I never had to replace a clutch in a car or my 9N, I've also never had either for very long.

Thanks in advance for any input, opinions, or other!

/ HP, trans and tires! #2  
Welcome to the site.
:welcome:
For the work you describe I'd go with R1s. R4s are better working on pavement and surfaces you don't want torn up like a lawn but they give up tractive force in loose soil.
For $10,000 you should be able to find a good used tractor with a loader that will fill your needs but there are more people out there looking for a nice setup like that then there are machines for sale. You have to look sharp and have your money ready and be willing to go quite a ways out to find what you want. Finding a loader later that fits your tractor might be hard unless you buy one of the more popular brands so it's probably better and cheaper to get the loader on the tractor to start with. 10K will also make a nice down payment on a new tractor ordered to fit your needs and financed at 0%. It depends on how secure you think your cash flow is.

/ HP, trans and tires!

Thanks Vtsnowedin, now any recommedations for hp or if the hydro trans is good for pulling ground? I was just looking at some Branson tractors, they are not as pricey and they claim to have a Cummings engine in them....they do make some very durable engines. Have you heard anything good or bad about Branson?

/ HP, trans and tires! #5  
Thanks Vtsnowedin, now any recommedations for hp or if the hydro trans is good for pulling ground? I was just looking at some Branson tractors, they are not as pricey and they claim to have a Cummings engine in them....they do make some very durable engines. Have you heard anything good or bad about Branson?

Nope , your first google click will tell you more then I know about Branson one way or the other. I'm in dairy country (or at least it used to be) and there is a lot of the big four American brands around here. Parts, service, and resale value on the tried and true brands are real considerations. When considering a lesser known brand I'd look at what used ones with respectable hours on them (say 2000hrs) are selling for and how well they stood up to the work.
As to the hydro transmissions the debate here on that subject appears to be endless and people defend their side of the issue with relegious zeal. I'm a gear man myself and don't want to have to keep pushing a go pedal all the time and don't have any trouble doing loader work with my 5045E and I like the split steering brakes which don't work on an HST as you can't use the same foot for two things at once. An HST fan will probably chime in that the HST allows precise control when loading in close quarters and stops where ever you let go of the pedal and can start up as smooth as silk etc. They are not wrong either it is just a matter of personal preference and the specific tasks at hand.

/ HP, trans and tires! #6  
I've heard that the Bransons' have weak transmissions. This came from an old farmer I know.

/ HP, trans and tires! #7  
As to the hydro transmissions the debate here on that subject appears to be endless and people defend their side of the issue with relegious zeal. I'm a gear man myself and don't want to have to keep pushing a go pedal all the time and don't have any trouble doing loader work with my 5045E and I like the split steering brakes which don't work on an HST as you can't use the same foot for two things at once. An HST fan will probably chime in that the HST allows precise control when loading in close quarters and stops where ever you let go of the pedal and can start up as smooth as silk etc. They are not wrong either it is just a matter of personal preference and the specific tasks at hand

Hydrostat Zealot here:D . Cruise control is for when you don't want to have to keep pressing the pedal all the time.:) The split brakes are on the left on many hydro tractors, JD's and my Kioti come to mind:) And yes when doing loader work the hydrostatic transmission is the closest thing to Nirvana you will experience on this planet:) . .... This message was brought to you by the defenders of the true faith, Of Our Lady of the Hydrostats. YMMV.:D

James K0UA

/ HP, trans and tires!
Looking4new, thanks. I've been looking and looking at tractors, dreaming about tractors, and probably talking about tractors in my sleep. My woman says I've looked at every tractor in MI, but I've also been looking for some firsthand knowledge. I had seen a TractorHouse listing for I think it was a 40hp Branson, with a trailer, loader, and finish mower for like 22,000! But as Vtsnowed in said..."Parts, service, and resale value on the tried and true brands are real considerations. When considering a lesser known brand I'd look at what used ones with respectable hours on them (say 2000hrs) are selling for and how well they stood up to the work."

Well two NH TC40's showed up in my general area. One TC40D has hydro but no loader or remotes, 200hrs turf tires but also less than a half hour away for $11,500. The other is TC40 623hrs 12x12 left hand reverser with a loader, AG tires and one remote for $13,500 & loadable with rimguard. They are both New holland dealers so I shouldnt get any slack one way or the other. Theres a local tractor mechanic who sold me my 9N with a 1yr warranty. He has a brandnew farmpro 30hp no FEL (but he said should be no problem to get in a few months)for 9500, but what little there is info wise online didnt seem very enthusiastic.

/ HP, trans and tires! #9  
I recommend you stick with the major brands and there are several good ones to choose from. I don't consider Branson to be one of them, not picking on them but they haven't got a big enough footprint in the tractor arena. Kubota, Deere, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra, New Holland, Ford, Case IH all have had tractors and parts available for a number of years. Kioti is another brand that has gained ground in the last few years and seems to be well liked. Yanmar is another brand that has been around for years and can be a good tractor. So there are lots of what most consider to be a popular brand out there. When considering a used tractor you should check to see if you have a local dealer for that brand as that should help with service. It is best to be open minded about brands when shopping used and for the most part not limit yourself right out the gate.

About power I would recommend depending on what you find a deal on about 35 minimum to 60 maximum. Forty pto hp should work well for anything you need to do.

I would go with R1 tires if you need alot of traction but would say that R4 tires would be fine if you go with a rototiller instead of discing. Recognize that a forward rotation tiller actualy pushes the tractor forward in operation. i wouldn't let the difference in the tires choices between R1 and R4 make the difference in choosing a good used tractor.

I prefer the hydro transmissions but have both gear and hydro tractors today. For someone doing a wide variety of jobs I feel the hydro is a better choice. My tractors have the steering brakes on the left and go pedals on the right on the hydros so you can use a brake and a go pedal at the same time. Most gear tractors will have the clutch on the left and brakes on the right and this works well too. I would consider both gear and hydro tractors in searching for a good deal. Again the more you limit your choices the less youhave to pick from. Whatever you do make sure you get one with power steering as that would be far more important imo.

If you think you want a fel for the tractor then buy it now already mounted and included in the sale. Far cheaper than adding on later. I recommend you start checking on line at www.tractorhouse.com and Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder to familiarize yourself with some of the tractor models and get a rough idea of what prices are. Also read the forums here to get better aquainted in general.

/ HP, trans and tires! #10  
shysterk,
The second tractor with fel and left hand reverser might work for you but that is about as light a machine as I would consider. Not familiar enough to comment on the price.