Buying Advice massey ferguson 5480

/ massey ferguson 5480 #1  

bratman11

Tractor
landini ghibli90
i am trying out a new 2012 5480 massey and i guess the million dallor question is are they worth the 125,000.00 there asking or is there a similair tractor from another manufactor in that range for cheaper. i know compare apples to apples.

/ massey ferguson 5480 #2  
I like the hydraulic options available, the 29gpm closed system looks good. Looks like a good tractor but I would look at all the competition particularly the transmission options to make sure your needs are covered. Most larger tractors have a wider choice of transmissions to choose from but if the 16 speed works for you all is well. Lots of money so choose wisely.

/ massey ferguson 5480 #3  
125k seems pretty high. It must have a loader on it but even fully optioned out I can't see it running more than 95-100K. Does it have front 3pt/PTO as well? In that HP range you can start to get into some of the smaller row crop tractors, but option for option equivelant machines, the 5400 should price out lower.

They are an awesome machine though.

/ massey ferguson 5480
I like the hydraulic options available, the 29gpm closed system looks good. Looks like a good tractor but I would look at all the competition particularly the transmission options to make sure your needs are covered. Most larger tractors have a wider choice of transmissions to choose from but if the 16 speed works for you all is well. Lots of money so choose wisely.

ya it has a loader grapple and larger tires front and back the 29 gpm hydraulics wheel weights and an extra fuel tank and 3 pt hitch on back of tractor no pto in front so you would recommend like a 24 speed transmission.

/ massey ferguson 5480 #5  
ya it has a loader grapple and larger tires front and back the 29 gpm hydraulics wheel weights and an extra fuel tank and 3 pt hitch on back of tractor no pto in front so you would recommend like a 24 speed transmission.

Your use and needs should dictate whether you need more gears to hit the sweet spot. Most high end tractors would offer an additional high low for 32 speeds. Some may need a creeper too. I just didn't see any other offerings besides the 16 speed and found that odd. I would definately want three front circuits and three rear circuits for the hydraulics. Other options could vary alot depending on what you plan to do with it such as flanged vs. rack & pinion wheels spacing. On most larger utility tractors the options can total as much as $40,000 so it can make a huge difference in the tractors cost. No matter what brand you choose ( and I consider MF to be a top brand) you should compare features and pricing carefully to assure you are getting a good value.

If you can tell us more about your intended uses for the tractor we could all help you more. Collectively there is alot of experience here on TBN.

/ massey ferguson 5480
mostly baling and using a bale processor and front loader work stacking bales mostly. are the rear diffs on these a fendt design