advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #1  

Rmart30

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently Kubota L4600HST, two Massey 265's, Massey 230, Kubota M8540...... Had Long 510, Mahindra 3510.Ford 4000, Deere 4230.
Guys im looking to buy around a 38-42 hp tractor for using at my hunting lease for bush hogging and planting green fields.

I am 99% not going to be getting a FEL with it at this time but would like to add one in the future.
Im also 99% leaning toward a hydrostatic trans just because of all the back and forth work in tight spots.

I have looked and priced a Kubota L3800 hydro 4x4 and it priced at $14,900 + tax with ag tires.

next I went to the green store and they had no 4000 series machines in stock. Said they just didnt sell many that most people went to the 5 series instead.
They quoted me a 4120 hydro 4x4 with ag tires at $26k ..... a 4105 same setup $20k..... or a 5045 gear $23k

Lastly i have looked at a Mahindra 4025. 4x4, ag tires manual trans.... $15k

Now the 5045 is a heck of alot more tractor than the others are but, it wont fit on my fit on my current trailer and id be taking quite a loss on it if i had to upgrade trailers. it would probably cost me in loss on old trailer and upgrade cost at least $2k overall.

I said id like to add a FEL at a later time. Im a construction equipment mechanic by trade and adding a FEL and the hyd to a kubota looked by far to be the easiest as they already have the mid hyd plumbing already there its just a simple 4 bolt block to add on after removing the plate and 2 side mounts for the loader.
So it gets the plus in that deptartment.
The Mahindra outweighs the others by over 1500# (except the 5045)

Any input on this ? Any other models that I should be looking at ?
id rather stay with one of the bigger name brand tractors. After owning one Long tractor and its lack of parts support I don't want to go thru that again.

Last edited:
   / advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #2  
Likely that I will get shouted down. But, seems to me that if you are going to be doing a lot of field work, you would want a geared Trans instead of Hydro. Pulling plows in large plots season after season does not seem like it would be ideal for Hydro.

But you said you have a lot of back and forth work in tight spots. Are your food plots tiny?

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #3  
You have any Kioti dealers near you?

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #4  
Now the 5045 is a heck of alot more tractor than the others are but, it wont fit on my fit on my current trailer and id be taking quite a loss on it if i had to upgrade trailers. it would probably cost me in loss on old trailer and upgrade cost at least $2k overall.

I agree:thumbsup: Do you need to trailer it to and from the hunting lease every-time you use it? How many hours do you want to work your tractor each year? If its less then a hundred you might be better off renting machines a couple of weeks and a couple of weekends a year.

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #5  
I do love tractors, but vtsnowedin makes a good point. For equipment we use only a couple of times a year or so, we just rent.

Of the tractors mentioned I really don't know all that much about them and would also look at Kioti and any other good dealer around.

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #6  
Likely that I will get shouted down. But, seems to me that if you are going to be doing a lot of field work, you would want a geared Trans instead of Hydro. Pulling plows in large plots season after season does not seem like it would be ideal for Hydro.

But you said you have a lot of back and forth work in tight spots. Are your food plots tiny?

I do ten acres a year with my HST tractor(and have for nine years),no problem.

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4
No Kioti around that I have ever seen ...most of the food plots this will be used for are small..1/2 -3/4 acre ... our lease is ten thousand acres and the biggest food plot is maybe 2 acres. I have a 4230 deere (100hp) we use for the big stuff with a 12 ft Bush hog. And the 60 hp long also
Im sure wed put 80-100 hrs per yer on this small tractor. Our lease tip to tip is about 6 miles and we will be trailering this smaller tractor to the plots rather than driving the big one back and forth on the roads.

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #8  
I do ten acres a year with my HST tractor(and have for nine years),no problem.

In this case, since pulling does not seem to be an issue, is there any situation where a geared tractor would be better?

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #9  
No Kioti around that I have ever seen ...most of the food plots this will be used for are small..1/2 -3/4 acre ... our lease is ten thousand acres and the biggest food plot is maybe 2 acres. I have a 4230 deere (100hp) we use for the big stuff with a 12 ft Bush hog. And the 60 hp long also
Im sure wed put 80-100 hrs per yer on this small tractor. Our lease tip to tip is about 6 miles and we will be trailering this smaller tractor to the plots rather than driving the big one back and forth on the roads.

Ahh more information. Makes a big difference if you alread have the heavy lifting covered. Are the two you already have parked on the lease or do you bring them in when needed?

/ advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4 #10  
I sure like my Mahindra 4035...I also work a lot of deer lease stuff...whatever you end up with I would highly advise an FEL as it has come in VERY handy on the lease on multiple occasions ! I have a PST, no experience with HST...

Rich