Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4

Guys im looking to buy around a 38-42 hp tractor for using at my hunting lease for bush hogging and planting green fields.

I am 99% not going to be getting a FEL with it at this time but would like to add one in the future.
    Im also 99% leaning toward a hydrostatic trans just because of all the back and forth work in tight spots.

I have looked and priced a kubota L3800 hydro 4x4 and it priced at $14,900 + tax with ag tires.

next I went to the green store and they had no 4000 series machines in stock. Said they just didnt sell many that most people went to the 5 series instead.
    They quoted me a 4120 hydro 4x4 with ag tires at $26k ..... a 4105 same setup $20k..... or a 5045 gear $23k

Lastly i have looked at a Mahindra 4025. 4x4, ag tires manual trans.... $15k

Now the 5045 is a heck of alot more tractor than the others are but, it wont fit on my fit on my current trailer and id be taking quite a loss on it if i had to upgrade trailers. it would probably cost me in loss on old trailer and upgrade cost at least $2k overall.

I said id like to add a FEL at a later time. Im a construction equipment mechanic by trade and adding a FEL and the hyd to a kubota looked by far to be the easiest as they already have the mid hyd plumbing already there its just a simple 4 bolt block to add on after removing the plate and 2 side mounts for the loader.
    So it gets the plus in that deptartment.
    The Mahindra outweighs the others by over 1500# (except the 5045)

Any input on this ? Any other models that I should be looking at ?
    id rather stay with one of the bigger name brand tractors. After owning one Long tractor and its lack of parts support I don't want to go thru that again.
    Last edited by Rmart30; 02-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Gold Member

Default Re: advice on a 38-42 hp 4x4

Likely that I will get shouted down. But, seems to me that if you are going to be doing a lot of field work, you would want a geared Trans instead of Hydro. Pulling plows in large plots season after season does not seem like it would be ideal for Hydro.

But you said you have a lot of back and forth work in tight spots. Are your food plots tiny?

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

You have any Kioti dealers near you?
    Murph ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    Now the 5045 is a heck of alot more tractor than the others are but, it wont fit on my fit on my current trailer and id be taking quite a loss on it if i had to upgrade trailers. it would probably cost me in loss on old trailer and upgrade cost at least $2k overall.

I agree Do you need to trailer it to and from the hunting lease every-time you use it? How many hours do you want to work your tractor each year? If its less then a hundred you might be better off renting machines a couple of weeks and a couple of weekends a year.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

I do love tractors, but vtsnowedin makes a good point. For equipment we use only a couple of times a year or so, we just rent.

Of the tractors mentioned I really don't know all that much about them and would also look at Kioti and any other good dealer around.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Quote Originally Posted by Singalo View Post
    Likely that I will get shouted down. But, seems to me that if you are going to be doing a lot of field work, you would want a geared Trans instead of Hydro. Pulling plows in large plots season after season does not seem like it would be ideal for Hydro.

But you said you have a lot of back and forth work in tight spots. Are your food plots tiny?
    I do ten acres a year with my HST tractor(and have for nine years),no problem.

Silver Member

No Kioti around that I have ever seen ...most of the food plots this will be used for are small..1/2 -3/4 acre ... our lease is ten thousand acres and the biggest food plot is maybe 2 acres. I have a 4230 deere (100hp) we use for the big stuff with a 12 ft Bush hog. And the 60 hp long also
    Im sure wed put 80-100 hrs per yer on this small tractor. Our lease tip to tip is about 6 miles and we will be trailering this smaller tractor to the plots rather than driving the big one back and forth on the roads.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by nybirdman View Post
    I do ten acres a year with my HST tractor(and have for nine years),no problem.
    In this case, since pulling does not seem to be an issue, is there any situation where a geared tractor would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmart30 View Post
    No Kioti around that I have ever seen ...most of the food plots this will be used for are small..1/2 -3/4 acre ... our lease is ten thousand acres and the biggest food plot is maybe 2 acres. I have a 4230 deere (100hp) we use for the big stuff with a 12 ft Bush hog. And the 60 hp long also
    Im sure wed put 80-100 hrs per yer on this small tractor. Our lease tip to tip is about 6 miles and we will be trailering this smaller tractor to the plots rather than driving the big one back and forth on the roads.
    Ahh more information. Makes a big difference if you alread have the heavy lifting covered. Are the two you already have parked on the lease or do you bring them in when needed?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 35, Mahindra 4035

I sure like my Mahindra 4035...I also work a lot of deer lease stuff...whatever you end up with I would highly advise an FEL as it has come in VERY handy on the lease on multiple occasions ! I have a PST, no experience with HST...

Rich

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast