tractor search

/ tractor search #1  

whesser

Hello all you tractor enthusiasts!!! Never knew this site existed until a few days ago after buying new home with 6 acres. Former owner wants to sell me his Woods 6215? zero turn mower for about 6500 but my wife balked and I agree because I may want to do other things than just mow. The current acreage is all well manicured lawn. I have looked at alot of current postings/responses but can get confusing at times. Mostly will need tractor for mowing but may need for gravel driveway (200 yards) and other small projects. Landscape is relatively flat. Budget will be below $5K for tractor and finish mower. Understand that the better know tractors may be best way to go - but dont need big tractor at bigger price. Have seen postings re Mahindra and visited dealer that sells them -- nice looking tractors (new) good prices and financing. Also had used Yanmars -- fresh paint -- necessary repairs -- good prices but with no warranties. From what I have read so far (still much to learn) -- Yanmar is basically good tractor if you want to chance the "gray" market and parts/service availability. I am thinking I should get referrals from dealer of Yanmar owners and call to see how satisfied they are. All suggestions welcome as to recommendations - models - etc. -- within my budget. Never thought this "city" boy would ever get excited about a TRACTOR !! Must be getting old. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ tractor search #3  
ZTR are unequalled in mowing. Your manicured lawn will no longer look manicured with a tractor based mower (others may disagree but this is the truth). Priorities are the rule of the day. Lawn - ZTR, Single machine - sound like tractor. We can then start the MMM vs RFM debate.

/ tractor search #4  
Welcome to the club. You can get alot done for $5,000 - so dont let the boys with tractor payments discourage you in any way.

If I were in your situation, I would look for the following models:

Kubota - B6100, 6200 7100, 7200, 7300
Ford - 1200 series, 1300 series, 1500
Deere - 650, 655

All of these machines are small compacts which had available front or mid PTO (live) to run a mid mount mower, which you absolutely need. The problem with a chinese or grey market tractor is that you will not be easily able to get a mid mower, and using a rear finish mower around the house and trees is really tricky and frustrating.

All of the machines above would have a 3pt hitch that could accommodate a 4' box blade for maintaining the gravel drive, and all could take a loader in the future if you come across an additional $3000 or so. All will be available with 4wd, but for your immediate uses that is not completely necessary. I started out with a Kubota B6000E with mid mower and tiller, excellent condition for $2800. It was a fine finish mower, plenty of power to do a variety of tasks.

Anyhow, I didnt look up your location, but start looking at agdealer.com and ironsearch.com, as well as equipmenttrader.com.

The best resource is a local want-ad type paper. In my local paper there is a Kubota B7200 with mower for 3900 in very good condition, to give an example. Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif