Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled

Default Re: A List of Basic No Frills Tractors

I would say there is allot of people on here that are not concerned about resale especially if they have smaller acreage where they dont put allot of hours on them and will keep them forever. Yes I know that LS builds some of the smaller New Hollands and yes they are cheaper up front. The reliablity may be the same but over all there name is just not known in the USA as far as the ag industry goes. I figure if something where to happen to LS New Holland would have someone in line to get parts from for those models. The lessor known brands in these parts seem hard to find second owners for. Most of the dealers are lucky to be open a year cause all the big companies get the business first. I like close dealers that I feel will be around for some time and if they do close another is about equal distance anyway. That is what the less known names don't have. I can think of allot of less known brands that came to the US ten years ago and are basically gone now. I don't know how many times I have had peope tell me they wish they bought a new name brand tractor or a good used name brand even if it did cost more up front.

Tractor
    JD 5055E

I read somewhere on TBN that NH was dropping LS. Anyone in the know care to comment?

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I don't know if someone said it but kubota also has the MX5100.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    new hollaand

You can do far more work with a bare bones tractor than most people think. I have a workmaster 75 and make my living farming with this tractor. I have had it just under 2 years and have 1700 hours on it. Some other tractors would be nicer to operate but would also cost twiceof much.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by fieldman12 View Post
    I figure if something where to happen to LS New Holland would have someone in line to get parts from for those models. Which means if that were to happen, and you have an LS, those parts would still be available from NH, so it's not really a problem after all.

Most of the dealers are lucky to be open a year cause all the big companies get the business first. If that were true, LS and Kioti wouldn't be two of the fastest (some cite LS as being the fastest) growing tractor brands in the U.S. Lots of dealerships are dropping the old guard names, but that isn't happening much with the newer companies. The three LS dealers I spoke to have all been in business for multiple decades, and that's the norm. I doubt those dealers suddenly got stupid about product quality, or wanted to risk their long-term survival by switching to smaller brands.
    This is all pretty similar to what people said when Japanese cars started showing up, and then again with Korean cars....and look what happened to the auto industry. In reality, all of the big names, save for kubota, are outsourcing their small to medium tractors to other companies, so when someone buys a small/medium Deere, or a NH, or a Case, etc, it's already made by a company that they likely wouldn't trust buying from directly, they just don't know it.

Would you tell someone not to buy a New Holland Boomer, because NH doesn't make it?

Costing more is one thing, but 40% more, for the identical machine, is completely different. My tractor, with NH badging would have been over $30K, and I paid $21,500. $8,500+ more and all I get is maybe the chance of better support down the road? If I were to look for a clue as to why we're seeing a couple of small companies growing at an incredible rate, that would be it.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Notforhire View Post
    I read somewhere on TBN that NH was dropping LS. Anyone in the know care to comment?
    What I've seen described is that NH is adding cab models from Shibaura to fill a gap in the lineup, but not dropping the Boomer/LS series. The reports seem to vary over the actual reasoning. I've seen people say that it was the fact that LS wasn't willing to build the smaller cab models, but they just released info on their own cab models in that size range, so it seems less likely (although still possible). All of that is just going off what folks are saying...time will tell.

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Now, if you really want basic; This model has been production for a long time.A List of Basic No Frills Tractors-mule.jpg

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Notforhire View Post
    Now, if you really want basic; This model has been production for a long time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mule.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	306161

Bill
    Been there done that. The parking break on that brand ain't worth a hoot and the work done per unit of fuel factor is lousey.

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew

My biggest hangup with the lesser name tractors is dealers, a lot of them are fly by night. I know some of the brands are getting better. But I have seen a lot of dealers dealing off brand tractors come and go. You cant put yanmar in the same boat with these either. They have been around as long as kubota. John Deere has been using them since the seventies. Far as NH goes, our local ag dealer for NH also sells Mahindra, supposedly the # 1 sellling compact company in the world. I am friends with the owner, salesman, shop foreman, head parts person, and know everybody there, my family has done business there since the fifties. They had rather sell you a Mahindra, easier to get parts for than the boomer, and easier to deal with on warranty issues. You may buy brand X, and if the dealer support is not there, ten years down the road. It is not gonna help you one bit. Most of the dealers for these dont have trained technicians to work on brand X, which doesnt matter to be me, cause I do my own mechanic work, but alot of people dont, so what are they gonna do if something happens to there tractor an they have no one to work on it latter down the road? Your not gonna go to Oriellys or Napa and get that little widget you need that was hard for the dealer to get to begin with. For me, I am not brand loyal on a compact. I found a good deal on the deere I have. But up until the late 90's we had 30 2 cylinder John Deere tractors, you could still get alot of there parts then and still can. That is pretty good dealer support. I have worked on a 3500 acre rice farm most of my life, so I have some knowledge of what works and what dont. You will always see Red, Green, or Blue on a ag farm. There is a reason for that. That rule of thumb will still apply to subcompacts and compacts. It is like some one stated above, most of us by our tractors for life, I am only 40, so hopefully me and my tractor have alot of life left. The here and know, there is not much difference in any of the compacts, beside customer preference, the long haul, I think so. LUTT

Tractor
    JD 5055E

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Been there done that. The parking break on that brand ain't worth a hoot and the work done per unit of fuel factor is lousey.
    So your saying neigh, to my suggestion? OK I don't think they will qualify for tier IV emissions anyway.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast