JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer
That's what I though. Worth looking into. I guest I'm back to square one. Better than a 6ft backhoe on a MF1529. Got to keep looking.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #12  
Not to change the subject, but I found a JD 450 track loader. I know it don't have the 6-way blade, but I think I can get about the same work done. Should I even consider the track loader instead of a dozer? The loader is an mid 70s, but it's cheaper by almost half. $3500.00 And I miss being in Texas.

Consider also that a track loader will not push anywhere near as hard as an equivalent sized dozer & is a "lightweight" in ripping tasks, but IMO if your heart's set on a crawler & I could only own one machine I'd personally take a track loader every time over a dozer because of it's extra versatility - as for repair costs it's much the same, whilst in theory the track loader may be marginally higher than a dozer generally it works out about the same (or worse for dozer) because of extra abuse dozers are subjected to.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer
Is there not one machine that does it all and never breaks down? And for cheap too! I can only dream, until then I keep looking and turning wrenches.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #14  
Is there not one machine that does it all and never breaks down? And for cheap too! I can only dream, until then I keep looking and turning wrenches.

Yep there's actually two machines like that - it's the one I don't own & the other one's a shovel....:D.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #15  
Yep there's actually two machines like that - it's the one I don't own & the other one's a shovel....:D.

If you have never broken a shovel, then you have never used one in the proper manner. :rolleyes:

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #16  
Not to get side tracked, but one of the things that get me is how so many people call tracked machines money pits. If one was to take into consideration of how much work is done with a tracked machine, is it really any more that what a wheeled machine would cost to do the same amount of work? The money pits are the machines that are warn out and on the verge of breakdown. But then doesn't that apply to any machine? I suppose that yes the tracked machine costs more to R&R, but if you take into consideration of how much work has been done by that machine, is it really that costly? I think that they aren't any different than ANYTHING ELSE, if you happen to get it at the end of it's normal life, then it is going to cost you a bunch of money to get it back to good working order.

Buy a 50 year old house that has had minimal maintenance, you don't just move in and expect to live there for the next 50 years without spending some money.

Just my :2cents:

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #17  
Brian,
I think it is more a matter of people buying a worn out machine because of the lower initial entry price and thinking they will save money. You are right that a track machine can do alot of work but you have to get one that has some work left in it or be prepared to pay to put the life back in it. You have to be prepared for this either way.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #18  
Steve, I understand this. I guess I didn't express myself well. If a person buys old worn out anything, they need to expect to put money into it. Yes a warn out tracked machine is going to cost more to put some life back into it than a wheeled machine. No different than buying a 100 year old, 1000 square foot house and a 100 year old, 3000 square foot house. One is going to cost more to rejuvenate than the other. Common sense.

Sometimes I forget that there are people that don't realize this and that that is why we are here, to help them out. :ashamed:

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #19  
I just finished...or thought I finished, an early 80's model case 450b. Been in weeds for last 10 yrs or so. Pretty simple little dozer. Had all undercarriage done and few other things. Got about one hour seat time before fuel pump quite working. Gotta jump on that next.

Attachments

• image-4123022076.jpg
    image-4123022076.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 836
   / JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #20  
Not to get side tracked, but one of the things that get me is how so many people call tracked machines money pits. If one was to take into consideration of how much work is done with a tracked machine, is it really any more that what a wheeled machine would cost to do the same amount of work? The money pits are the machines that are warn out and on the verge of breakdown. But then doesn't that apply to any machine? I suppose that yes the tracked machine costs more to R&R, but if you take into consideration of how much work has been done by that machine, is it really that costly? I think that they aren't any different than ANYTHING ELSE, if you happen to get it at the end of it's normal life, then it is going to cost you a bunch of money to get it back to good working order.

Buy a 50 year old house that has had minimal maintenance, you don't just move in and expect to live there for the next 50 years without spending some money.

Just my :2cents:

Sure $ for $ in the right application a crawler can't be beaten, $ for $ in the wrong application a crawler is without doubt the most expense way to move material.
The key factors to operating any crawler economically are:
- an experienced operator who can make the most out of the machine without over-stressing it
- limiting travel to the absolute minimum so the tracks only turn if they are productive
- using a machine right sized for the application
- owning a "good" machine, that is one that is not beyond economic operation/repair

There's good reason traxcavators( i.e crawler loaders) are a dying breed, there are progressively less sub D7 sized dozers used in commercial operations & fewer smaller contractors own dozers....for most they no longer make economic sense & as an "aged" machine they're even harder to justify as a cost effective "investment" operating as a "tool of trade" on farms even if you value your seat time @ zero $'s - sure we always know someone who manages through good managment (or pure luck) to save dollar by owning/operating to clear their land, but for every 1 who comes out in front there are at least 10 who end up behind the 8 ball........IMO owning a crawler is akin to an ex wife who just keeps trying to bleed you dry.....