Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Default Re: JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    Sure $ for $ in the right application a crawler can't be beaten, $ for $ in the wrong application a crawler is without doubt the most expense way to move material.
    The key factors to operating any crawler economically are:
    - an experienced operator who can make the most out of the machine without over-stressing it
    - limiting travel to the absolute minimum so the tracks only turn if they are productive
    - using a machine right sized for the application
    - owning a "good" machine, that is one that is not beyond economic operation/repair

There's good reason traxcavators( i.e crawler loaders) are a dying breed, there are progressively less sub D7 sized dozers used in commercial operations & fewer smaller contractors own dozers....for most they no longer make economic sense & as an "aged" machine they're even harder to justify as a cost effective "investment" operating as a "tool of trade" on farms even if you value your seat time @ zero $'s - sure we always know someone who manages through good managment (or pure luck) to save dollar by owning/operating to clear their land, but for every 1 who comes out in front there are at least 10 who end up behind the 8 ball........IMO owning a crawler is akin to an ex wife who just keeps trying to bleed you dry.....
    Isn't this true for about just about everything? Use the wrong tool for the application and it just goes down hill from there. The right tool with the right person and amazing things can be accomplished. I must be one of those 1 out of 10, because I have had excellent luck with my old warn out crawlers. They have paid for themselves many many times over.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post
    Isn't this true for about just about everything? Use the wrong tool for the application and it just goes down hill from there. The right tool with the right person and amazing things can be accomplished. -1

I must be one of those 1 out of 10, because I have had excellent luck with my old warn out crawlers. They have paid for themselves many many times over. -2
    1. Agreed, but few are going to be so costly as misuse or plain bad luck with a crawler.......

2.Great when crawler ownership works out in your favour, but for those aspiring/new to "aged" crawler ownership it's remains a potential minefield of down time & escalating costs- not suggesting it can't prove viable though it's generally the exception, & owning/operating any "aged" crawler can be exponentially more costly/problematic than owning/operating an aged wheeled ag tractor, vehicle, backhoe or even an excavator...etc....& repaing a crawler is whole different ballgame (from recovery.....to workshop requirements ...to skillset, craneage, tools..etc)

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    1. Agreed, but few are going to be so costly as misuse or plain bad luck with a crawler.......

2.Great when crawler ownership works out in your favour, but for those aspiring/new to "aged" crawler ownership it's remains a potential minefield of down time & escalating costs- not suggesting it can't prove viable though it's generally the exception, & owning/operating any "aged" crawler can be exponentially more costly/problematic than owning/operating an aged wheeled ag tractor, vehicle, backhoe or even an excavator...etc....& repaing a crawler is whole different ballgame (from recovery.....to workshop requirements ...to skillset, craneage, tools..etc)
    Agreed, crawlers are usually not the best way to go for the inexperienced.
    Brian

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

MtnViewRanch, how about a picture of your little crawler?
    Dave
    Red Bluff, California

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

I somewhat diasgree about the D7 size comment. I work in heavy industry (gas and oil) and we never use anything bigger than a D8. There is just to much cost associated with moving bigger iron that it doesn't make sense to be lugging it around. We do however contract out all of our dirt work and the D6 is by far and away the most popular size followed by a D5 and then the D8 shows up for the largest projects. One contractor swears by a little case dozer for doing his finish grading on his projects. His machines even have the GPS system on them, but he was trained old school and finishes by the seat of his pants.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Silver Member
    Tractor
    john deere 5093 4x4

I will have to agree with RedNeckRacin. I would also say that the D6,D7,D8 series tractors are very popular. They are also very good for land clearing and used Highly as the main series tractor on pipeline work. I know this to be true because of past pipeline experience. As RedNeckRacin said the D6 and D7 are easy to move especialy the D6. These size tractors have the B***S to move dirt and do hillside work ,along with clean up.Ive run all of these series and like he said i was taught to run by the *** of my pants. You wont go wrong with any of these tractors. I personally like the deere line of small dozers. they are top notch IMO.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by DavesTractor View Post
    MtnViewRanch, how about a picture of your little crawler?
    Here are a few.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p5150001.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p5150003.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p5151527.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p2210010.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p2210014.jpg  

JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-p1010105.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-img_0516.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-img_0736.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-img_0512.jpg   JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer-img_0064.jpg  

Brian

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Brian,
    That really looks good

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Brian,
    That really looks good
    Thanks Steve, unfortunately it doesn't get used very much any more. but then nothing is getting used much these days.
    Brian

Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch View Post

Here are a few.
    Very nice! What is the coil of hose in the engine compartment in the 3rd picture?
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast