JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #21  
Sure $ for $ in the right application a crawler can't be beaten, $ for $ in the wrong application a crawler is without doubt the most expense way to move material.
The key factors to operating any crawler economically are:
- an experienced operator who can make the most out of the machine without over-stressing it
- limiting travel to the absolute minimum so the tracks only turn if they are productive
- using a machine right sized for the application
- owning a "good" machine, that is one that is not beyond economic operation/repair

There's good reason traxcavators( i.e crawler loaders) are a dying breed, there are progressively less sub D7 sized dozers used in commercial operations & fewer smaller contractors own dozers....for most they no longer make economic sense & as an "aged" machine they're even harder to justify as a cost effective "investment" operating as a "tool of trade" on farms even if you value your seat time @ zero $'s - sure we always know someone who manages through good managment (or pure luck) to save dollar by owning/operating to clear their land, but for every 1 who comes out in front there are at least 10 who end up behind the 8 ball........IMO owning a crawler is akin to an ex wife who just keeps trying to bleed you dry.....

Isn't this true for about just about everything? Use the wrong tool for the application and it just goes down hill from there. The right tool with the right person and amazing things can be accomplished. I must be one of those 1 out of 10, because I have had excellent luck with my old warn out crawlers. They have paid for themselves many many times over. ;)

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #22  
Isn't this true for about just about everything? Use the wrong tool for the application and it just goes down hill from there. The right tool with the right person and amazing things can be accomplished. -1

I must be one of those 1 out of 10, because I have had excellent luck with my old warn out crawlers. They have paid for themselves many many times over. -2 ;)

1. Agreed, but few are going to be so costly as misuse or plain bad luck with a crawler.......

2.Great when crawler ownership works out in your favour, but for those aspiring/new to "aged" crawler ownership it's remains a potential minefield of down time & escalating costs- not suggesting it can't prove viable though it's generally the exception, & owning/operating any "aged" crawler can be exponentially more costly/problematic than owning/operating an aged wheeled ag tractor, vehicle, backhoe or even an excavator...etc....& repaing a crawler is whole different ballgame (from recovery.....to workshop requirements ...to skillset, craneage, tools..etc)

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #23  
1. Agreed, but few are going to be so costly as misuse or plain bad luck with a crawler.......

2.Great when crawler ownership works out in your favour, but for those aspiring/new to "aged" crawler ownership it's remains a potential minefield of down time & escalating costs- not suggesting it can't prove viable though it's generally the exception, & owning/operating any "aged" crawler can be exponentially more costly/problematic than owning/operating an aged wheeled ag tractor, vehicle, backhoe or even an excavator...etc....& repaing a crawler is whole different ballgame (from recovery.....to workshop requirements ...to skillset, craneage, tools..etc)

Agreed, crawlers are usually not the best way to go for the inexperienced. :eek:

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #24  
MtnViewRanch, how about a picture of your little crawler?

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #25  
I somewhat diasgree about the D7 size comment. I work in heavy industry (gas and oil) and we never use anything bigger than a D8. There is just to much cost associated with moving bigger iron that it doesn't make sense to be lugging it around. We do however contract out all of our dirt work and the D6 is by far and away the most popular size followed by a D5 and then the D8 shows up for the largest projects. One contractor swears by a little case dozer for doing his finish grading on his projects. His machines even have the GPS system on them, but he was trained old school and finishes by the seat of his pants.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #26  
I will have to agree with RedNeckRacin. I would also say that the D6,D7,D8 series tractors are very popular. They are also very good for land clearing and used Highly as the main series tractor on pipeline work. I know this to be true because of past pipeline experience. As RedNeckRacin said the D6 and D7 are easy to move especialy the D6. These size tractors have the B***S to move dirt and do hillside work ,along with clean up.Ive run all of these series and like he said i was taught to run by the *** of my pants. You wont go wrong with any of these tractors. I personally like the deere line of small dozers. they are top notch IMO.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #27  

Attachments

• P5150001.JPG
    P5150001.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 741
  • P5150003.JPG
    P5150003.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 2,730
  • P5151527.JPG
    P5151527.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 927
  • P2210010.JPG