JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #1  

TractorBob1529

Silver Member
Tractor
MX5100DT
Looking at some used equipment for some land clearing. Found two dozer around the same price JD 450 $6100.00 and Case 450 $6500.00. These are older models in about the same shape, JD has less UC. Which one should I consider?

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #2  
Having owned both previously, the JD is a lot more difficult to work on with major disassembly required to access most components for inspection/repair.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #3  
In that price range I'm assuming a 70s-early 80s machine. If the case is a three stick I'd go with that. Those are good little tractors and easy to move. Should be two track speed sticks and a FNR that's a little shorter

Brett

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #4  
What are your plans for land clearing? The Case will be limited on what it can do, is the JD heavier? It'll push large stumps with easy but even with a 6 way blade it's good up to about 12" diameter (this will vary some with different types of soils and trees), larger ones will require you to spend time doing things like trying to dig down on the sides of the stump to cut roots. But the Case is a very good dozer. Parts are easy to come by and pretty reasonable price wise. You can push it past it's limits without doing any damage. You will want a 6 way blade.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer
Most what I am doing will be finish work. Any stumps or so I got a mini-ex for. If anything I might hold out and get a CTL. Guess I'll save the money and keep looking for a nice one in my price range.

/ JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #7  
Which one has the better dealer? I've run a Deere 450G and I own a Case 1550 dozer. I can't compare the same sized dozers, but can say that Case can be difficult to get parts. They stop making some parts for their machines and if they don't have it, you are out of luck. I've had to go to salvage yards for my Case Dozer. I will say that the guys who work there went to a lot of effort to try and get me the parts I needed, but effort wasn't enough. My engine is a Cummins, but you can only got through Case to get parts for the engine. Case and Cummins have an agreement that if you use the engine number to get parts, a parts store like Napa or ABC or even a truck dealership cannot find any information on that engine. It's like it doesn't exist. Having said that, the price for engine parts is as good or better then the parts stores when I compared things like a new Turbo and bearings.

On the Deere, it also had some issues with getting parts and only being able to go through the dealer to get them. I don't have anywhere near as much experience on the Deere, or wrenching on it, but found that they where about the same as far as getting parts and what you pay for them.

So it really comes down to the dealer.

Eddie

Not to change the subject, but I found a JD 450 track loader. I know it don't have the 6-way blade, but I think I can get about the same work done. Should I even consider the track loader instead of a dozer? The loader is an mid 70s, but it's cheaper by almost half. $3500.00 And I miss being in Texas.

This is it. The guy says it needs a new drive clutch. Is it worth it?
JD 450 Loader.jpg

Last edited:
   / JD 450 Dozer vs Case 450 Dozer #10  
TractorBob,
I had a similar 450 dozer like that about 40 years ago in decent shape. Can't imagine wanting to go there again at todays prices for parts. I suspect you would be buying a money pit.