Buying Advice Case 680CK C

/ Case 680CK C #1  
Tractor
JD 318, Case 680C backhoe, JD 850 4wd, Cat D2 dozer, gravely L
I am looking to buy a Case 680 C backhoe. Has anyone owned or had operating experience on one of these old hoe's?

Thanks,

/ Case 680CK C #2  
I did a little research into them and sort of came to the conclusion that the parts may eat you alive. A 580 or 590 was a much more popular model and therefore alot more knowledge/parts base for them. I'd suggest shying away from it unless its a deal you can't pass up and your handy with your own repairs.

/ Case 680CK C #3  
The 680's are a big hoe & quite rare as they were a little too big/pricey for the market where an excavator proved a more viable option -also unless it's 4x4 because of their weight they will bog readily/not steer well in dirt/soft ground (ballasting the rear tyres/fitting oversize front tyres on a 2WD will help but not overcome this shortcoming).

Nothing really inherrently wrong with a 680 if you need a big hoe, the motor/transmission/driveline are quite robust/powerful - I recall the one we had was fitted with air brakes which were excellent too -& the hoe/FELcombination has some serious lifting/breakout capacity, the downside is with all that power an unsympathetic operator could often inflicted severe damage/stress on the machine.

IMO a 680 is fine if you've got a special purpose for such a large hoe & it's bargain priced, but purchase in the knowledge a 580 is lot more nimble, suitable & usefull in "offroad" applications around a farm with the 580 a lot easy to source parts both new & reasonably priced s/h - prior to purchase make certain to test thoroughly the "pushing" power of any Case machine too at operating temperature, they're often fine running around on flat ground but put them load & some have no grunt to push dirt, small trees or even run up a loading ramp onto a truck as the torque converter has been "fried" .

/ Case 680CK C
Thanks guys for the reply. The 680 is big and heavy but I think it will be OK for what I need it for. It has the normal issues of bad hoses and rust. I have't driven it yet to determi any major issues. It has been setting for a long time so I want to check the cc for anti-freeze in case the sleeve "O" rings have leaked. I will give some more feedback after we check it out. Parts are scarce and I will be doing the repairs in house.

Thanks again,
Darrel

/ Case 680CK C #5  
Hi guys
I just purchased a 680CK. It's a nice OLD machine. It will do just what I need it to do, then I will sell it. I do have a question about the hydraulic lines coming from the pivot point on the hoe. Is there a wrench or socket I can use to tighten the line? It's really a tight spot. Thanks for you help.
Reverend Pepin

/ Case 680CK C
Hi guys
I just purchased a 680CK. It's a nice OLD machine. It will do just what I need it to do, then I will sell it. I do have a question about the hydraulic lines coming from the pivot point on the hoe. Is there a wrench or socket I can use to tighten the line? It's really a tight spot. Thanks for you help.
Reverend Pepin

Hi Pepin,

Welcome. Crows foot wrenches will work on some of the fittings but not all. I ended up detaching the hoe but I needed to replace some pivot and swing bushings and the hoses there. It is very difficult to get to the fittings. It was built from one end to the other and difficult to work in the middle. You may have to make some of your own tools unique to that area. Your leaks may be on an "O" ring fitting and it may need a new one. I probably just added to your confusion.

Good luck and keep us updated,
Darrel

/ Case 680CK C #7  
Thanks Darrel,
I found out if I open the floor panel in the cab in front of the hoe controls I should be able to get to the hoses. Also the previous owner just replace all the hoses for the hoe. He said he couldn't tighten one, that's why it leaks. I am going to try a service wrench set from harbor freight. The fitting should be an inch and a quarter. I will have before and after pictures if anyone wants to see. I will let you guys know how it went.

/ Case 680CK C
Yes, pepin I should have mentioned the floor plate. It is still hard to get a backup and tightening wrench into that spot on some of the fittings. Maybe you will luck out and get an easy one. Just keep in mind the ones with an "O" ring fitting may not spot leaking unless you replace the "O" ring.
Thanks for the update and we will watch for a progress report.
Darrel

/ Case 680CK C #9  
Thanks guys for the reply. The 680 is big and heavy but I think it will be OK for what I need it for. It has the normal issues of bad hoses and rust. I have't driven it yet to determi any major issues. It has been setting for a long time so I want to check the cc for anti-freeze in case the sleeve "O" rings have leaked. I will give some more feedback after we check it out. Parts are scarce and I will be doing the repairs in house.

Thanks again,
Darrel

Darrel...My names Del and i just came in ownership of a Case 680 myself....I have no use for it...so if you know anyone who might need one for parts or to fix up...let me know... I live in Ky. by Tennessee and Virginia borders...I;m not sure if this will get to you or not...I'm new at this Thing....lol But you can friend request me on Facebook if you like...

/ Case 680CK C
Hey Del,
I have used mine a little after I replaced all the hoses, one new tire and a new radiator. It's actually too big for where I live but it is a beast. I will sell mine as well but have not advertised yet. Good talking and good luck. Darrel