Tractor
    JD 318, Case 680C backhoe, 284 IH tractor, Cat D2 dozer, gravely L

Default Case 680CK C

I am looking to buy a Case 680 C backhoe. Has anyone owned or had operating experience on one of these old hoe's?

Thanks,

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Default Re: Case 680CK C

I did a little research into them and sort of came to the conclusion that the parts may eat you alive. A 580 or 590 was a much more popular model and therefore alot more knowledge/parts base for them. I'd suggest shying away from it unless its a deal you can't pass up and your handy with your own repairs.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

The 680's are a big hoe & quite rare as they were a little too big/pricey for the market where an excavator proved a more viable option -also unless it's 4x4 because of their weight they will bog readily/not steer well in dirt/soft ground (ballasting the rear tyres/fitting oversize front tyres on a 2WD will help but not overcome this shortcoming).

Nothing really inherrently wrong with a 680 if you need a big hoe, the motor/transmission/driveline are quite robust/powerful - I recall the one we had was fitted with air brakes which were excellent too -& the hoe/FELcombination has some serious lifting/breakout capacity, the downside is with all that power an unsympathetic operator could often inflicted severe damage/stress on the machine.

IMO a 680 is fine if you've got a special purpose for such a large hoe & it's bargain priced, but purchase in the knowledge a 580 is lot more nimble, suitable & usefull in "offroad" applications around a farm with the 580 a lot easy to source parts both new & reasonably priced s/h - prior to purchase make certain to test thoroughly the "pushing" power of any Case machine too at operating temperature, they're often fine running around on flat ground but put them load & some have no grunt to push dirt, small trees or even run up a loading ramp onto a truck as the torque converter has been "fried" .

Tractor

Thanks guys for the reply. The 680 is big and heavy but I think it will be OK for what I need it for. It has the normal issues of bad hoses and rust. I have't driven it yet to determi any major issues. It has been setting for a long time so I want to check the cc for anti-freeze in case the sleeve "O" rings have leaked. I will give some more feedback after we check it out. Parts are scarce and I will be doing the repairs in house.

Thanks again,
    Darrel

Tractor
    case 680 CK

Hi guys
    I just purchased a 680CK. It's a nice OLD machine. It will do just what I need it to do, then I will sell it. I do have a question about the hydraulic lines coming from the pivot point on the hoe. Is there a wrench or socket I can use to tighten the line? It's really a tight spot. Thanks for you help.
    Reverend Pepin

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by reverendpepin View Post
    Hi guys
    I just purchased a 680CK. It's a nice OLD machine. It will do just what I need it to do, then I will sell it. I do have a question about the hydraulic lines coming from the pivot point on the hoe. Is there a wrench or socket I can use to tighten the line? It's really a tight spot. Thanks for you help.
    Reverend Pepin
    Hi Pepin,

Welcome. Crows foot wrenches will work on some of the fittings but not all. I ended up detaching the hoe but I needed to replace some pivot and swing bushings and the hoses there. It is very difficult to get to the fittings. It was built from one end to the other and difficult to work in the middle. You may have to make some of your own tools unique to that area. Your leaks may be on an "O" ring fitting and it may need a new one. I probably just added to your confusion.

Good luck and keep us updated,
    Darrel

Tractor
    case 680 CK

Thanks Darrel,
    I found out if I open the floor panel in the cab in front of the hoe controls I should be able to get to the hoses. Also the previous owner just replace all the hoses for the hoe. He said he couldn't tighten one, that's why it leaks. I am going to try a service wrench set from harbor freight. The fitting should be an inch and a quarter. I will have before and after pictures if anyone wants to see. I will let you guys know how it went.

Tractor

Yes, pepin I should have mentioned the floor plate. It is still hard to get a backup and tightening wrench into that spot on some of the fittings. Maybe you will luck out and get an easy one. Just keep in mind the ones with an "O" ring fitting may not spot leaking unless you replace the "O" ring.
    Thanks for the update and we will watch for a progress report.
    Darrel