Comparison 5075E vs 5075M

/ 5075E vs 5075M #1  

T Dew

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere
After reading this forum for years and learning as much as I can without posting, I am finally posting a question. I am (this week) planning to purchase a new tractor. My plan is to use this tractor to help get the farm back to its former glory with lots of post hole digging, a fair amount of loader and backhoe work, and a lot of bush-hogging. I will also be using it to work the soil a couple of times a year in a personal garden about 200' x 50', so I do not want anything too big. We are currently using a 6430 Premium to make hay on about 100 acres, but that tractor will soon have to be replaced as well. I just know that everything in the 6 series is too big to use for garden work or any of the landscaping work. I am left needing at least two tractors. The costs of them causes me to lean toward the E series, but my aging back (and everything else) sure love the look and feel of the deluxe cab on that M series. I'm wondering if I were to go with the M series (maybe even a bigger one than the 75) if I could get away with running most of the jobs on a 250 acre farm. If I could pull a baler and such as well as work in the garden with that tractor then I might not need a larger 6 series. I realize this is a lot of question, but I know the minds here will help me out.

Thanks in advance for all the input. This site has taught me more than I could ever convey, and it is part of the reason I have decided to return to farming after many, many years in an office.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #2  
Well all I can offer is my opinion on my 5083E. I think that the M's are built a little heavier and have those perks that if you are spending alot of seat time in the tractor it will make things really nice. Personally I would think that a 5075 is a bit big for a garden? although you sure could turn over the ground quick with a 2 or 3 bottom plow and then rototill the snot out of it! The part that makes me step back would be the hay making. I would look very carefully at the pto/weight requirements of your hay making equipment. Mainly if you have a discbine and a heavy round baler. The pto hp might exactly match but thats almost never a good idea to match the minimums, If you have any hills of significance, a large round baler like a 5x5 might be a chore to handle for a smaller tractor. MY 83E weighs over 10klbs after the fluid in the rear and the front weights but sometimes I sure wish it was heavier for some of the work that I do. IF you are planning on doing any major tilling you are either going to need more horsepower to keep up with the 6 series or sell and rebuy implements that match the lower horsepower of a smaller tractor.

I dont know if that helps but it might jumstart the discussion.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #3  
I have the 5045D and in my opinion, it would be a little big for garden use, but it would do it for sure...

/ 5075E vs 5075M #4  
For that size garden maybe a 2000 or 3000 series. For hay the 5093e looks nice. Anything in the M series is a plus.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #5  
First of all, welcome.

Your question does not have a simple answer, in my opinion. I recently traded a 4310 for a 5105M. Although the M is an awesome tractor there are times when I miss the 4310. A 5000 series tractor is just a little large for yard and garden work. If you are going to try to do it all with one tractor you are going to have to accept the fact that it's going to do some things better than others. I believe in your case you will be better served trying to do the small jobs with a big tractor. A tractor suitable for a garden is not going to make it in a hay field.

As for the E or the M, I looked at both. I'm 67 years old and this will, most likely, be my last tractor purchase. I opted for the M for all those extras that I would have kicked myself for not getting later. I decided on a used M over a new E. I'm glad that I did. I'm very happy with it. It's about 3 times the tractor that the 4310 was in just about every way. I notice that most when I try to do some little job around the house that I used to do with the 4310!

Enjoy your search. Tractor shopping is fun.

/ 5075E vs 5075M #6  
After reading this forum for years and learning as much as I can without posting, I am finally posting a question. I am (this week) planning to purchase a new tractor. My plan is to use this tractor to help get the farm back to its former glory with lots of post hole digging, a fair amount of loader and backhoe work, and a lot of bush-hogging. I will also be using it to work the soil a couple of times a year in a personal garden about 200' x 50', so I do not want anything too big. We are currently using a 6430 Premium to make hay on about 100 acres, but that tractor will soon have to be replaced as well. I just know that everything in the 6 series is too big to use for garden work or any of the landscaping work. I am left needing at least two tractors. The costs of them causes me to lean toward the E series, but my aging back (and everything else) sure love the look and feel of the deluxe cab on that M series. I'm wondering if I were to go with the M series (maybe even a bigger one than the 75) if I could get away with running most of the jobs on a 250 acre farm. If I could pull a baler and such as well as work in the garden with that tractor then I might not need a larger 6 series. I realize this is a lot of question, but I know the minds here will help me out.

Thanks in advance for all the input. This site has taught me more than I could ever convey, and it is part of the reason I have decided to return to farming after many, many years in an office.

Your situation does not lend itself to a simple answer or a single, "do-everything" tractor; either. Nonetheless, I have used my 5075M to rototill inside my 35'x65' greenhouse/high tunnel and do all the hay chores, too! It's a challenge to keep the edge of the cab from hitting the rafter supports along the side of the greenhouse - but, it can be done. It would really be a piece of cake to work a 200'x50' "open-air" parcel!

That said, you can invest several thousands more into an M model versus a fairly equivalent E model. And, with your acreage and amount/kinds of farm work - you're probably committed to another larger frame tractor. So, those extra dollars could be used for that 2nd machine.

The new E's are a major improvement over the previous models. Power reverser transmissions (with creeper), cabs with air seats, better hydraulic options and loaders, HD plastic fenders and hoods - a significant shift towards the plus features of the M lineup. And, they are a bit shorter (wheelbase) and lighter than the M's, (the 2012 M's were stretched another 5 inches on the wheelbase) which makes them a bit more agile than their M stablemates. But.... the latest word is that those newer model E's won't be available until August.

However, if you need that tractor "right now" and want to use it on as many of the farm chores as possible - including hay baling - I'd look at the 5100M or the 5115M. With a 310 or 340MSL loader, wheel weights and/or filled tires with the added hydraulic options including the HD 3pt hitch - IMO - you won't have a problem with even the silage special 5' balers.

AKfish

That's the high tunnel in the photo.

Attachments

• Mow2012.JPG
    Mow2012.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 1,168
   / 5075E vs 5075M #7  
If I were in your situation I'd look at a 5055e or 5065e (or even 4000 series) combined with a 6D series for basic field work. The larger 5E and 5M series will be too big for many of the 'utility' type chores you are planning and will feel too small in the field, especially after coming from a 6000 series.

/ 5075E vs 5075M
I know this was a difficult problem with no simple solution, and I appreciate all of the input. I'm a little impressed that you, AKFish, inside that tunnel, and it gives me hope that I could use any of these in that open air garden. That being said, I do feel as if pulling the baler (especially with the hills around here) would be a little out of the reach of all but the biggest of the M series, and those would be far too large to use around the house and in the garden. It is further complicated by the fact that the new cabs and such will not be available until August for the E series. I had thought April was the date, but I hadn't heard anything to support that since the end of last year. I'm wondering if I could get by with the 5075M for all of the work except the baler for now. I have another 2 years or so left in that 6430, and I suppose I could buy a used 2 or even a new 1 to do the work immediately around the house and in the garden. My main concerns are all of the bushhogging, post holes, and digging (backhoe) that I have to do over the next year to get the place back in shape. I feel as if I could do it all with an open station E series, but I would be missing the comfort of a cab and nice seat. To be totally honest I'm also expecting to come across a lot more yellow jacket nests and such as I clear land that has been untouched and overgrown for 20 years. I feel a little weak admitting that, but I may as well lay it all out there.

My real issue with spending the money on the deluxe cab M is this: Is there enough difference between the 6 series and the 5M to justify eventually having both of them? I have not found the answer to this at the dealer or online, so I hope that you can help me with this. Money being no object I'd love to have one dedicated tractor for every task, but I do not think many of us have that option.

Thanks again for helping me and dealing with my rambling thoughts.

Tom

/ 5075E vs 5075M #9  
Just a few MSRP prices, average configurations:

5100M w/ mfwd cab and H260 loader $78,000

6105D 2wd cab $54000

5055E mfwd 553 loader $32000

3520 mfwd 300x loader $28000 (w/ cab $35000)

You could have a base model 6D series for field work and another smaller tractor for around the farm chores for almost the same money as a large 5M series. FWIW, my family farms about 400ac here in SW VA (hay, cattle, etc) and we use a M9540 Kubota with 4wd and loader(80hp), 2550 Deere 2wd (65hp), 5045e Deere w/ loader (37hp) and Kubota L3200 w/ loader(25hp). In the field we almost always use the two bigger tractors, and everyone still prefers the old 2wd 2550 for mowing hay. Around the farm, home, garden, etc the two small tractors are used almost exclusively. IMO, in the field bigger is better around the farmyard, garden, and home smaller is often better. Our smallest tractor gets double the hours in a year than the biggest.

/ 5075E vs 5075M
I tend to agree that pulling a baler and such is almost always better done behind the largest tractor one has. I also think from personal experience that it is a lot easier to see what's happening behind a smaller tractor when one is raking or cutting, but I also know that I know almost nothing. I've been off the farm for more years than I care to admit, so I appreciate the input from everyone who is wiser than I.

It seems that something in the middle of the E series with an open cab makes the most sense cost wise. That would leave me money in a few years to put toward the new 6 series for the hay work. The smaller size also makes a lot more sense around the house and garden for mowing and such. The added bonus is that the folding ROPS means I can park it in the garage while I am repairing the barn and/or another place to park the tractors.

It's just hard to talk myself out of the nicer work stations (cab or not) on those M series tractors.