Buying Advice advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other?

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #1  

peanutbob

Tractor
none
Any advise on buying a new compact tractor ? I know nothing about tractors except what i am seeing on line.i live in central Tx. have 8 mostly heavily wooded acres,sandy soil with clay not very far down. I have had about 3 acres roughly cleared with dozer, i want to do some more clearing,move the stumps/rocks and debris from the dozer in a pile for a 2ed burn. move gravel to redo drive way, dig trenches to re do water line/drain field that is to shallow,smooth cleared land .then maintain cleared prop. mow, some tilling ,ect.. i know i want 4 wheel drive as when wet the ground is real soft easy to sink .I want to get tractor package as i need trailer, tractor and implements i have been looking at kubotas and john deere as there are dealers in austin and segiun closest to me. and i will financeing looking to buy between 20,000/35,000 with about 5,000 down..looking at one of the dealer sites and build your tractor.. i haven't got a clue.. what type/size tires front and back what size pins for backhoe attachment the diff sizes for blade, bucket, diesel or gas. what hydraulic valves i need and pump ?? like i said im green do not know squat except what i read on line .. any help/ advise would be very appreciated

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #2  
Think of what you will do most with the tractor. If you want to mow grass with a MMM (mid mount mower) then a sub compact would be best ( I use a sub. massey on 5 ac to do a lot) If you will have a mower and a tractor a larger compact might work better for you. Sounds like you want a back hoe, they work on both :2cents:

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #3  
It sounds like you're going to wind up somewhere in the 30-50hp range, because much smaller will make it difficult to do some of the tasks you're talking about....or make them take much longer. Forget gas, diesel will be better in almost every way.

I think you're going to find it difficult to buy new from most of the big names like Deere, Kubota, Case, etc, and get implements, plus a trailer, for $35k. In fact, most of their typical 40hp (ballpark) tractors are going to wind up around $30k for just the tractor with FEL/bucket. There are a couple of Kioti dealers within about a half hour of you, and they're an excellent bang for the buck brand that would likely fit in that budget range. Austin has one of the best LS and Yanmar dealers, RCO Tractors, in the country. Both brands would likely keep you in budget as well. For reference, my 47hp LS was $21,500 delivered. RCO does packages, and actually shows some financing numbers on their very helpful website. I e-mailed, and spoke to them several times during my tractor search, and they were very helpful. They've also been in business for something like 50 years, so I don't think you have to worry about service, and support over time. I'd definitely stop by there and at least talk to them before making any decisions. The other thing to consider is sales tax. If you qualify for the state Ag exemption, it can save you some serious cash, but you have to establish that prior to the purchase. The link here is misleading, because they do sell new Yanmar tractors as well. RCO Tractor - New LS Tractors & Used Yanmar Tractors from Texas - The Finest Diesel Compact Tractor On Sale Now!

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other?
thanks guys for the response so far ..i have seen tractor packages in the texas co-op mag i get in the mail in my price range and is part of the reason i am looking at them ..keep the advise coming all thanks ..peanutbob

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #5  
Being in Texas you are probably at least considering a cab tractor with AC. That takes a chunk out of your budget right off and backhoe attachments don't come cheap. You have a realistic budget and have plenty of good choices from several manufacturers and it comes down to what you want to do and in what way.
Personally I would skip the backhoe attachment and rent a machine with one or a small excavator when doing trench work or a ditch witch for laying water pipe. The small excavator is more efficent then a rear mounted hoe and you can use your tractor with loader to back fill. Those jobs you tend to do one time and then the backhoe tends to sit unused while the payments go on and on.
I'm not into compact or sub compact tractors as I feel like a Shriner in a parade when I'm on one and find a full sized utility tractor more useful for close to the same money and sometimes less if you compare a cabbed compact with an open station utility tractor. Not a fair comparison I know but when you hook on to a big log to pull the log don't care if your in a cab or not.
This is what I shopped for and settled on last year. $29,800 with loader and 6 ft. rotary cutter.
070712085235tractorview.jpg

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #6  
Bob, if you want a backhoe, something you need to look at is gallons per minute on the hydraulic pump. I have run cheaper 3 point hoes on lesser tractors, there not worth a flip. Specially for the task your wanting to do. The Kubota line has a dedacated tractor/loader/backhoe package TLB, there industrial built that are expensive, but they build the tractor for the backhoe. You turn your seat around just like a full size hoe, you dont have to mount and dismount every time you use the backhoe. You can drop the backhoe in minutes and put on your 3 point arms for your attacthnments. You may want to consider good used. There are a lot of low hour machines that have not been abused, you just have to look. You will want a root rake with grapple for the cleanup also. A thumb on the backhoe would be nice. A good boxblade, for your driveway maintence and also can level you field after you get it cleaned up. A heavy scalloped blade 3 point disc. On the bachoe part, I considered a backhoe for my tractor, but decided to get a mini excavator when funds allow, they are quicker and stouter. I guess you see where this is going, it dont end. Industrial tire are good in between tires. If you have a lot of work to do, a belly mower will be a pain to hook and unhook every time you want to mow. I would rather have a 3 point mower on a tractor that I would have to do that much work with on my place. Also, I would want hydrostat drive, a pair of hydraulic outlets on the rear. And of course front wheel assist. Hydrostat and loader work is great, also for mowing. But shuttle shift is good also. I am sure I have forgot a bunch, others will chime in eventually. LUTT

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #7  
You're off to a good start. Before going to the build sites you might go to the various dealers and sit down with them and get a feel for how the dealership will treat you as they're the one you'll be turning to for service etc.

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #8  
Forgot one important piece of adviCe (sorry, don't hate me ;)) Make sure you get some actual seat time in a number of different brands, models, etc. You'll be surprised at some of the things that wind up being annoying, and you'd never know it without driving them, and comparing different models, brands, sizes, etc. R,

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other?
Again tks guys keep the advice coming..GManbart i clicked the link you sent they responded right away an seem very helpful ..haven't heard of ls or yanmar but will be going up there to take a look soon..ty lutt got my list started of things to ask about when getting to the dealers ..drive by the kubota dealer back an forth from work will be looking them soon also.. i thinking i would like the mower thats pulled behind rather than a belly mower, i will be doing more field work than grass ( lots of brush sapling and yupon here) maybe hay bailing when every things is down and clear. got husqavarne riding mower for the grass,this place tears up my riders pretty quickly. bends, breaks blades and blade mounts easily.. need trailer to haul the tractor why i was looking new but if i can find what i want used at a dealer with trailer will take hard look at used for 1st timer.. used i may be able to get few more implements root rake with grapple .. i think as small as this place is high 20 hp to low to mid 30 hp would work specially after the main hardest work is done..got lots of fences to build right now clearing by hand till i find the right tractor so out the door i go ..again tks keep the advise flowing..Peanutbob

/ advise on1st tractor.. buying new. Deere/kubota tx. or other? #10  
pm sent to you