Tractor / zero turn

/ Tractor / zero turn #1  

erkjlk

I have 6 acres - half lawn, half pasture, 200 trees to cut around and one really large/steep hill. We have no farm animals - right now - future maybe. Gravel driveway. We are trying to decide between a zero turn mower and a compact tractor - JD 2210, or Kubota BX 2200, or ?. The pastures are cut short now and relatively smooth. I would get the 60/62 MMM and would consider a FEL.
I know most of you are tractor people, but any suggestions on what to buy - or what model to buy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

/ Tractor / zero turn #2  
Get a New Holland w/ super steer, hydro and MMM.
They turn almost as sharp as z-turn.
Mine is the larger size and trims better than my JD 110.
I wouldn't use anything else now.

/ Tractor / zero turn #3  
Welcome to the forum. Many of us have been in your situation.
Among the tractors you listed might also add MF GC2300.
But what would help, what are you wanting to do with the future unit?
By your post it seems you have already ruled out the ZTR, stating MMM and possible FEL. From my experiences, and from all others, the FEL is a must. You never would think you would use it much until you get one.
Take a few moments a fill out your profile, think about all the jobs you will be doing besides cutting grass. A lot of folks will tell you, figure out which tractor you need, then buy the next bigger model. Works for some, but with the amount of trees, sounds like you need to stay small to get around. You have quite a bit of ground to manage.
The tractors you listed are very good, and do a great job of mowing while still able to do other task.

/ Tractor / zero turn #4  
Hambone,

I think he meant IF he decided on the tractor...

I would say for the original question, first decide if you want a machine that will give you the finest yard possible, but little else, or a machine that will give you a pretty nice yard and still do other things for you.

In my case, I bought the small tractor. I never really considered the z turn...cause I deal with short weeds that look pretty nice. But they are still short weeds and I doubt that we will every have anything but short weeds...we actually like the look of short weeds! Our three geese prefer short weeks over grass too...

Anyway, I got a Kubota BX to accompany my larger b2910...it does a fine job cutting the grass, but it is NOT at z turn. I think I did right in my case, but we don't have any competition for the best looking yard in this neighborhood...I'm glad I went with the tractor over a z turn. Suit sme perfectly...

Forgot to add, if this was our only tractor I would really be happy I went the tractor route!

/ Tractor / zero turn #5  
<font color="red"> and one really large/steep hill. </font>

For a really steep hill you might want to consider a Power Trac unit--one is rated for slopes up to 45 degrees. The smallest units are suitable for slopes up to 20 degrees. All have a front end loader as a part of the tractor. There is a separate section of this board that focuses on these tractors.

The manufacturers web site can be reached here Power Trac

/ Tractor / zero turn #6  
Welcome to TBN! Great source of information - and opinions such as mine /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

<font color="blue"> and one really large/steep hill. </font>

One thing to bear in mind is that ZTRs don't handle hills very well. They're meant for relatively flat, finished areas. You might be able to use one, depending on your terrain, but you don't want to be spinning a ZTR on a steep slope.

My $0.02 would be to go with some kind of CUT. With 200 trees you'll have plenty of stuff to haul around and an FEL would be quite handy. Yet another thing a CUT can do that a ZTR isn't so great at is hauling a trailer or wagon (yeah, I know, it *can* be done but that doesn't mean it should be). We use our JD lawn tractor as much to haul a small garden wagon as we do to cut grass.

Good luck on your hunt...

/ Tractor / zero turn #7  
I had not considered a FEL until reading many of the postings by our fellow TBN'ers. They convinced me with their logic and reasoning that a FEL is a very handy tool. I bought a NH TC30 with a BH 1846 FEL (there are stronger FEL's but the BH suits my needs). The first use of the FEL was to offload the other 4 implements that I bought to go with the tractor. The FEL and some chain saved us some heavy lifting chores! This weekend I will be preparing ground for some outbuildings. The FEL will do the rough grading and a Rear Blade will do the rest. Need to move topsoil, gravel or mulch? FEL! Remove sod for a flower bed or garden? FEL! You get the idea. Although expensive the FEL is highly recommended.

Bruce Launius,
Roseville, PA

/ Tractor / zero turn
Thanks to everyone for responding to my request!

I have now looked at the NH and MF. The tractors themselves are maybe a little cheaper, but the implements are really expensive. I am looking at $12,500 for a JD2210 with 60"MMM & FEL, vs $13,200 for the MF. The MF tractor itself is $1000 cheaper. Not as much detail on the NH yet.

Looked at the power trac units - pretty neat, but haven't seen any in my area and service will be important to me.

Any thoughts on going up in size IF I decide on the tractor? Most of you have the bigger tractors.

Thanks again!

/ Tractor / zero turn #9  
<font color="blue">I have now looked at the NH and MF. The tractors themselves are maybe a little cheaper, but the implements are really expensive. I am looking at $12,500 for a JD2210 with 60"MMM & FEL, vs $13,200 for the MF. The MF tractor itself is $1000 cheaper. Not as much detail on the NH yet.

Looked at the power trac units - pretty neat, but haven't seen any in my area and service will be important to me.
</font>

Welcome to TBN. My suggestion would be to look at as many tractors as possible and don't jump into anything. We looked for over a year before deciding on the Power Trac PT425. There are too many great tractors out there to make a quick decision. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Another thing to consider is what jobs you need to do now with a tractor VS the jobs you will need to do in the future. We had some really large jobs to do early on, so we bought a really large used tractor/FEL. Those jobs are long over with, so we downsized to the PT425.

Also, if you can swing it, get the FEL with the purchase. In most cases(not the Power Trac as the loader arms come with all their tractors) it is cheaper to buy a package deal than it is to add on an FEL later... lots cheaper. The FEL is the most useful implement you can own, in my humble opinion, of course.

There are many Indiana based TBNers here. What's the closest major city to you?

Again, welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor / zero turn #10  
As you point out, most of us are tractor people.. so bear in mind that my advice is biased.

A tractor is a multi purpose machine.. good at lots of things. A Zero turn mower is a specialized machine.. great at one thing.. cutting grass. That said... you can cut a heck of alot of grass pretty nicely with a ZTR.. I have to give them that. However, you can't rough cut with them.. pull the neighbors car out when it is stuck.. pull the kids hay wagon at halloween, etc.. etc...
Bottom line.. if I had a ztr instead of a tractor.. I wouldn't/couldn't have a farm.. and at the prices these ZTR's are going for.. you can deffinately find tractor alternatives in the ballpark, if not cheaper, if you go with an off brand/manufacturer.. like a chineese model, etc.

( I'm not slamming ztr's here.. they have their place.. ) But I agree with the fellow about the New Holland with super steer!

Soundguy