Buying Advice Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #1  

CamanoCJ

Tractor
Husqvarna/GT
hills, wet grass and GT52XLS traction

I like the GT52XLS for the Kawasaki engine, HydroGear transmission and fabricated deck, but have a wet, hilly lawn. Another area to mow is a rough, uneven area where maintenance over the septic field has been ignored. We want the ground engaging tractor so that we can grade our gravel driveway, carry a full trailer of firewood, and eventually create a 10x20 vegetable garden. Mostly we want the garden tractor to last. Would adding the 50 lb weight kit solve the potential traction problem if we buy the GT52XLS? Some postings recommend adding weight to the wheels, but won't that void the transmission warranty? Husqvarna seems to be the best value for our budget of about 3.5K for the GT and attachments.
Tractors with available locking wheel differential were recommended to us. They include YT48XLS, but is not rated as ground engaging. Does any one know if it has the Tuff Torq K46 that is inadequate per MANY posts? It does have the Kawasaki engine and fabricated deck. YT 46LS again is not ground engaging and has just a welded tube as reinforcement, so that seems inadequate.
The two garden tractors with locking wheel differential include GT48XLS (fabricated deck) & GT54LS (tubing reinforced deck) but we are trying to avoid B&S Endurance Vtwin. Thanks for any info! Does any one know which Tuff Torq transmission is in these models?
Thanks for any info!

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #2  
The wheel weights will probably help somewhat going uphill on wet grass. The problem will be stopping when going downhill.

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn
I didn't realize stopping going downhill was helped by locking rear differential but of course it makes sense. I just read that it can tear up the lawn, too. That would be less damage than an out of control mower. Any recommendations?

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #4  
We are in nearly identical situations. I'm currently considering the Husky GT48XLS vs. either a Deere x500 or a Simplicity Broadmoor. The later two would set me back nearly 2 grand over the Husky. I believe the GT48XLS has the Tuff Torq K66. I've convinced myself that I need a locking differential for my hills. I would also prefer a Kawasaki engine, but can't find one on a reasonably priced tractor to suit my needs. I gather that the Endurance engine is designed specifically for Husky. What don't you like about it?

- Dan

I've read several reports that it is hard to start, and is very noisy. Also, read that you have to disconnect the fuel line to squirt in carburetor cleaner. I was first told that it isn't a great engine for reliability by a repair tech, so went looking for more info. He recommended the B&S Vangard engine. I think the Endurance engine is in several manufacturer's garden tractors/lawn tractors in the lower to mid quality level. It is still tempting to get the GT48XLS because the others are more expensive. I'm still looking. Good luck and let us know what you get!

Hi Dan, I ruled out Simplicity because the stamped deck won't like the rough field that we need to mow, or the heavy attachment to grade our driveway. The John Deere 500 looks great, but expensive. We had a JD that was great until we ran over a tennis ball, and then it quit going in reverse. The repair was too expensive to be worth it, so we just mowed forward and pushed out of the garage. Are you planning to use ground engaging attachments, or can you use the Husky YT48XLS with the Kawasaki engine? I would just check if it has the Tuff Torq K46 that is inadequate per MANY tractor forum posts (including the entry level John Deere's.) I wish finding detailed info was easier. Good luck!

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #7  
I found the manual online for the GT48XLS. It says Tuff Torq K66. If it had the Kawasaki, I probably would have bought it already.

I completely agree with you!

Did you look into Snapper YT400, model 2691030, with a 24hp Briggs & Stratton Pro, K66 Tuff Torq hydrostatic trans with automatic control & differential lock? Snapper has 10g welded steel frame and a pivoting cast iron front axle with 1" spindles. 52" spring asst manual lift deck, pneumatic wheels 16x6.5, rear 23x10.5, 75x62x47, wider footprint for greater stability. Can use heavy attachments. Listed as $5,499 at online dealer. I thought about the YT300, but that has the K57 Tuff Torq hydros trans with the auto control traction, but that isn't rated as ground engaging. 46" deck, 71x50x43. $3,999.

I'd like a comparison on Snapper YT400 vs. John Deere x500. Also vs. Simplicity Broodmoor 269114 at $5,099, 27hp B&S Pro, welded 10g steel 52" deck. So many details, but hopefully with good care, this purchase will last. Sometimes I think we should buy a 3K model and replace it sooner!

/ Husky GT52XLS traction on hilly, wet lawn #10  
CamanoCJ said:
Sometimes I think we should buy a 3K model and replace it sooner!

I've had the exact same thought. Pay less and upgrade sooner with the latest improvements. Of course the Deere dealer would say that you could just trade in the X500 and get the latest stuff whenever you want.