City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #31  
Hi,
We just bought 25 wooded acres in hilly WV. We need a tractor that will be used mostly for clearing and building the first couple of years and then basic farm work there-after. Backhoe is top priority. This property will be our homestead and we will be doing all the building and clearing ourselves and there is a fair amount of rocks( not to bug though). My husband has some previous tractor experience but being a woman :cool: I want to add my 2 cents in so I'm trying to get A basic knowledge of what brands/models to look at. Thanks in advance!!!

How many of those 25 wooded acres do you plan to clear? If it's more than a couple, get yourself a used tractor loader backhoe (TLB) like a Deere 310B. The 310 is construction equipment that is a lot stronger than a compact utility tractor (CUT). YOu can find one usually for under $10K, use it to do the heaving clearing, and then sell it for pretty much what you paid for it.

For your farming, a 40-50 hp (pto) CUT from any of the reputable tractor dealers in your area will do. Get one with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, 6-ft wide front end loader (FEL) with skid steer quick attach, dual or triple hydraulic rear remotes, cab if the weather is a problem in your area. Figure $30-35K for a new tractor, $20K for pre-owned specimen.

And watch it on the hills. You want a tractor with a wide stance but with high enough clearance to work on uneven ground or in the presence of stumps and other debris.

Good luck.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #32  
For your farming, a 40-50 hp (pto) CUT from any of the reputable tractor dealers in your area will do. Get one with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, 6-ft wide front end loader (FEL) with skid steer quick attach, dual or triple hydraulic rear remotes, cab if the weather is a problem in your area. Figure $30-35K for a new tractor, $20K for pre-owned specimen.

It's possible to get in that performance ballpark for well under $30k, but only with a few manufacturers. I'm at 38 PTO HP, but only $21,500, new.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #33  
Just my 2 cents. If you plan to clear much of your wooded 25 acres hire it out. If you want to clear a smaller amount and do the building yourself buy a used commercial backhoe and sell it after you are settled. What you would buy now to meet your initial goals and what you will need later to maintain and work your homestead will be two different things. Good-luck.

MarkV

This is VERY good advice! You will soon discover that trees, stumps, limbs and other logging debris is very, very hard on equipment! Even big, hurky equipment that is specifically designed to work in the woods.

After clearing a number of acres on my place and working the ground into "farm field shape" -- I now rent HD equipment and save my tractor's for farming and other related, farm chores.

I agree with much of the advice and information that other's have provided: a tractor in the 40hp+ range with a frame-size in the Kubota L5240 or L5740 category. Where I might differ with other recommendations is the need to buy a backhoe (and I have a JD 110 Tractor-Loader-Backhoe). Unless you have plans to install your own septic, water lines, culverts, etc. etc. - I'd rent a small excavator and use the extra $$$ for other implements. Post hole digger, rotary mower (brush-hog), fertilizer spreader, etc. etc. Most backhoes in the JD4000 series and Kubota 40 series is gonna be $8,500+. You can do alot with that money... instead of investing in a dedicated "lawn ornament".

If your property is exceptionally hilly - you should consider adding wheel spacers to whatever tractor you finally purchase. They will help improve the tractor's stability.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #34  
It's possible to get in that performance ballpark for well under $30k, but only with a few manufacturers. I'm at 38 PTO HP, but only $21,500, new.

:thumbsup: LS and Kioti will give you a lot more bang for your buck, but the gap is quickly shrinking as those two brands are maturing and grabbing market share. I'm pretty partial to my Kioti, but I have to admit, there's a good chance I'd turn blue if I had to buy another one.

... Where I might differ with other recommendations is the need to buy a backhoe (and I have a JD 110 Tractor-Loader-Backhoe). Unless you have plans to install your own septic, water lines, culverts, etc. etc. - I'd rent a small excavator and use the extra $$$ for other implements.

I had a smaller Kioti (CK30) with Woods BH-70x backhoe. I ended up trading the tractor and using the money I had in the hoe to buy a bigger tractor. I don't regret it for a second. The bh was fun to have and I did do some useful tasks with it, but it's good advice to rent a mini ex. when you need to dig a hole, they're much more effective and you'll likely find they're rarely needed.

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #35  
Welcome to TBN. I was in your exact position not too terribly long ago except my hubs had no experience. We wound up with a Kubota. There is a ton of great information on this forum so be sure to use the search function and read all you can. We live on flat land so don't have to deal with hills but we did have some trees that needed to come down. We wound up hiring someone to take out the trees with a dozer while they were doing some other dirt work for us. It was a much better implement for the job.

It is important to go to all the dealers and sit on and drive the tractors. It is amazing how different they can feel and what a difference the ergonomics make. We originally wanted something that was smaller and could get into the trees but wound up with the Grand L from Kubota. It is amazing how small they get as soon as they get to your property.

Good luck from another city girl, have fun and keep us posted! :)

/ City girl needs advice on buying 1st tractor #36  
Welcome. I live in your area , between Smithfield and Masontown. Check out Addison farm supply(Kioti), Johnstone equipment in Fairmont (Kioti), Middle town tractor in Fairmont (John Deere)and there is a LS and Mcormick dealer in Waynesburg. For what its worth I buy from Addison farm, a little farther drive but A+ service and people. Good luck and happy shopping