Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Default Re: New to owning acreage

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    I recommend you see if your Deere dealer can get you an x749 that would be an ideal mower for your lawn. I would go for the 62" deck and mow the lawn at about four inches height. I live in the mountains in New Mexico and find this works well on out steep slopes. The 4ws is much better for turning uphill and the K92 transaxle setup with 4x4 can hold up to the steep hills you have.
    From the pictures, you have, what 2 or 3 acres to actually mow? Or do you mow the whole place?

I'd agree with jenkinsph that you need something way more than a riding lawnmower for these hills. Also, that's not a finished lawn or anything close to it on those hills... more like a closely mowed field, and it looks like it's also got a fair amount of potholes, ruts and other unevenness to deal with. That JD model or a subcompact (I know, I know, these are expensive options), would handle that kind of rough service and the 4wd would be safer and not as likely to scar the ground so erosion can make more ruts.

You might want to look for a decent used subcompact or JD X type. Kind of rare, but you might get lucky and find something affordable. You might also keep an eye out for something like a used Steiner or Ventrac set up for hill mowing. Again, not cheap, but perfect for your place.

Beyond that, if you're physically fit, one of those walk-behind landscaper mowers, maybe 60", would probably do the job, but I sure wouldn't want to be doing that every week.

Maybe the mowing was a factor in why the place was up for sale. But it sure is pretty! Hope you don't get banished to the outhouse too often!

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

That looks like a pain in the butt to mow. I have a very small sloped area that I can just mow with my 50" Cub Cadet going across the slope. One problem is when I lean over to the uphill side, the seat switch doesn't have enough pressure and it disengages the blades. I could mow it up and down since there is room to turn around on a flat area top and bottom.

I would look at alternatives to mowing. Plant some ground cover, terracing, goats , whatever. You have a nice looking place, but it shouldn't become a drudgery or an injury risk to keep up the lawn.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments

Look these over good before you buy. They have kubota engines. Looking at your photo's this is what I would own.

HS

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

I have a hard time navigating Deere's web site, so I don't know exactly which of their lawn tractors have 4 wheel drive. However, if i were going to mow the property in the pictures, I would be looking at a 4 wheel drive lawn tractor. I know you can get it on the X700 series, not sure about the X500 series.

My property is all hills too, and I know I couldn't even move on it without 4WD. My hills aren't as steep as yours, and I needed a loader and three-point attachments, so I went with a 2520. I have the machine in 4WD basically all the time when mowing.
    Runner

Silver Member
    Tractor
    N/A

A JDX748 would have no problems with those hills, if buying used consider the older JDX595, just as good as its nearly the same machine, I would recommend one with HDAP tires though

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    I have a hard time navigating Deere's web site, so I don't know exactly which of their lawn tractors have 4 wheel drive. However, if i were going to mow the property in the pictures, I would be looking at a 4 wheel drive lawn tractor. I know you can get it on the X700 series, not sure about the X500 series.

My property is all hills too, and I know I couldn't even move on it without 4WD. My hills aren't as steep as yours, and I needed a loader and three-point attachments, so I went with a 2520. I have the machine in 4WD basically all the time when mowing.

The x749 has the limited cat 1 hitch, rear 540 pto, hydraulic 4x4 and four wheel steer. Same diesel as the 2305 and 2320 24hp although some engine changes have been made in the last couple of years. I had to make the decision whether to buy a 2320 or x749 when I was buying and the four wheel steer made the decision for me. Turning uphill with the 4ws is much more effective than with 2ws and being lower to the ground also helps.

With lesser slopes to deal with a 2x20 series machine with fel can be a better choice for a well rounded tractor though.

Tractor
    None yet

My local Simplicity/Toro dealer recommended one of these...

Toro - Professional Contractor Mid-Size Walk-Behinds

I know I can walk behind it today, but I'm not sure for how many more years. Without having tried a tractor or this walk-behind, my initial thought is that this thing would feel safer to me. Thoughts?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

My Dad had a zero turn Cub Cadet mower for doing his 2 acres of steep river band along the Coosa in Ala. Couldn't go up hill worth a darn. Was tippy on the side. And felt like you were in an uncontrolled dive going down the hill. Had to do the yard on the diagonal, and turns were scarey.

Personally, I'd have let most of the yard go wild except within a dozen feet of the house. Or rented an excavator and terraced the place into about a half dozen flats and rises.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234