New to owning acreage

/ New to owning acreage #1  

ddmoit

Tractor
None yet
I moved to Tennessee last fall. I have nearly 7 hilly acres, most of which is wooded. Still, I have a few hilly acres to cut.

I've just about convinced myself that I'll need a tractor with a locking differential. Right now, I'm looking at 3 models

Deere X500
Simplicity Broadmoor
Husqvarna GT48XLS

The first two are nearly 2 grand more than the Husky. I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra 2 grand for my needs. I gather that the Deere has the beefiest transmission. I think it has a Kawasaki engine, which seems to be preferred. The Simplicity has a Tuff Torq K62 and the Husky a K66. I presume they are similar; I cannot find any comparisons.

The Husky and Deere lock-diff must be engaged by the user as needed. The Simplicity has some automatic system. Something more to break?

The simplicity also has what appears to be a nice rear suspension that separates it from the other models.

Any thoughts? Is one of these tractors 2 grand better than another? Are there others I should consider?

Thanks.

- Dan

Last edited:
   / New to owning acreage #2  
I moved to Tennessee last fall. I have nearly 7 hilly acres, most of which is wooded. Still, I have a few hilly acres to cut.

I've just about convinced myself that I'll need a tractor with a locking differential. Right now, I'm looking at 3 models

Deere X500
Simplicity Broadmoor
Husqvarna GT48XLS

The first two are nearly 2 grand more than the Husky. I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra 2 grand for my needs. I gather that the Deere has the beefiest transmission. I think it has a Kawasaki engine, which seems to be preferred. The Simplicity has a Tuff Torq K62 and the Husky a K66. I presume they are similar; I cannot find any comparisons.

The Husky and Deere lock-diff must be engaged by the user as needed. The Simplicity has some automatic system. Something more to break?

The simplicity also has what appears to be a nice rear suspension that separates it from the other models.

Any thoughts? Is one of these tractors 2 grand better than another? Are there others I should consider?

Thanks.

- Dan

Are you just wanting a tractor for mowing? If just for mowing why not consider a zero turn mower. They have a much lower center of gravity for hills, and the commercial units have a heavy duty welded deck,which holds up against running into small stumps and rocks.

/ New to owning acreage
I've seen conflicting information about the performance of ZTR units on steeper slopes. I don't anticipate using any ground engaging accessories, but I might find it useful to tow a cart around on occasion.

/ New to owning acreage #4  
Zero turn mowers on steep hills can be problematic. If you have a hill here or there is one thing but they aren't good where your entire yard is a hill or series of hills. My yard has slopes and a bit of a bank near the road. It does fine on most of the yard but on the bank at the road it does tend to "crab" across the hill. A dealer of any worth will help advise you on a Ztr for your yard. Mine let me use one on my yard and test it on my bank before I purchased.

/ New to owning acreage #5  
I've seen conflicting information about the performance of ZTR units on steeper slopes. I don't anticipate using any ground engaging accessories, but I might find it useful to tow a cart around on occasion.

Most ztr 's can still pull a cart. Do you have a Exmark or Scag dealer, that would let you try one on your hills ? I use my ztr now in places I would not use my old lawn tractor.

/ New to owning acreage
Most of what I have to cut is a slope.

/ New to owning acreage #7  
I vote for the Deere. It is more of a garden tractor instead of lawn mower. Something to consider; if you can't do the repair work/service yourself, where will you have it done. You apparently have a Deere dealer close since you are considering one, what about the other two? The Deere will also give you the option of some attachments if you decide you want some later, will the other two? And that brings up another question, have you considered a subcompact tractor? With 7 acres you will be surprised how many projects come up.

/ New to owning acreage #8  
Hi ddmoit,

I do not know alot about the mowers you are considering. However my Dad does. He has a Deere and he loves it. He has a few acres in W.VA and it is very hilly. Basically I think his yard is just one big slope. I have never heard him complain about this mower. He had a Husky before this one and he did not care for it much. He said that it was not as comfortable and felt like it was always trying to "slide" down the hill.
He can tow his yard trailer with the Deere too. I am not sure if he could tow the trailer/wagon with the Husky.

/ New to owning acreage
Good stuff; keep it coming, please.

The Deere dealer is nearby. So is the Simplicity dealer. The Simplicity dealer doesn't sell Husqvarnas, but he is an authorized repair shop for them. The Husqvarna dealer is not too far from me in Georgia.

/ New to owning acreage #10  
Ddmoit, You might want to consider looking at a subcompact tractor (JD1000/2000 series) like Bikerdib mentioned. They are much more versatile than a mower and they aren't that much more expensive when you consider all that you can do with one.