Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy?

/ Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy? #1  

andyt11

I appreciate most of you are into much more serious equipment, but I'm hoping someone can offer some quick advice on a lawn tractor purchase. I want to replace my much aging kubota with something more modern.

All I need is;

• To cut and bag grass.
  • A tiller would be awesome but it's not absolutely essential.
  • A hydrostatic transmission is the only other requirement.
  • Budget is $2k - $3k (for you guys in the states think $1k-$2k, everything costs more up here)
  • Can be new or perhaps a couple of years old.

I'm so out of touch I don't know where to begin. What brands should I consider / rule out completely?

Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT: forgot to mention, we are only talking about .6 of an acre of lawn here....!

Last edited:
   / Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy? #2  
Well the first thing you should realise is that there are only three major manufacturers of all the different brands of lawn tractors out there. Painting them a different color often means a difference in price of a $1000 or more.... for the same machine. Craftsman and Husqvarna come to mind. Orange paint is expensive I guess.

/ Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy?
I didnt know that! Gimmie the rundown on the three manufacturers....

/ Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy? #4  
Canada is warm enough to grow grass for a lawn?

Just kidding!

0.6 acres? I'd go with a push mower. But then I'm an exercise nut.

/ Lawn tractor in Canada - what brand to buy? #5  
I appreciate most of you are into much more serious equipment, but I'm hoping someone can offer some quick advice on a lawn tractor purchase. I want to replace my much aging kubota with something more modern.

All I need is;

• To cut and bag grass.
  • A tiller would be awesome but it's not absolutely essential.
  • A hydrostatic transmission is the only other requirement.
  • Budget is $2k - $3k (for you guys in the states think $1k-$2k, everything costs more up here)
  • Can be new or perhaps a couple of years old.

I'm so out of touch I don't know where to begin. What brands should I consider / rule out completely?

Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT: forgot to mention, we are only talking about .6 of an acre of lawn here....!

Look at a Deere X300R for a nice bagger mower setup new or used. This has a rear discharge deck with built in blower and rear mounted bagger. You can trim with either side of the mower deck which is very convenient.