Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas?

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #1  

MikeAC

Tractor
'72 Power King Kubota B2710 Ford 3600
Hi everyone,

I wanted to buy a tractor this year to do food plots, brush mow a couple of acres, and use with my two btm plow. I have a kubota cut with a FEL, so this would be a second tractor. My choices Are down to ford or David brown, diesel or gas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Don't anticipate a lot of use for it at this point, and would pay a premium for reliability and quality, ease of maintainance.
Ford 3600 Tractor
David Brown/ Case 885 Farm Tractor
Ford 3400 Diesel

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #2  
I like diesels but I also like Massey's so I would find a 135 diesel with PS, 2 stage clutch and diff lock.

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #3  
That 3600 is interesting !

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #4  
I like the 3600 also. I'd go with diesel, gas tractors seem to consume more fuel.

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas?
   / Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #6  
Found one , looks like it has seen better days.
Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel

I looked for almost a year till I found mine. Don't be in a hurry, find what you want and how much your willing to pay and look. Don't be scared to offer less. I offered 2000.00 on a 3500.00 $ machine and 2 months later settled on 2500.00 delivered.

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #7  
given your options.. I believe the ford line will give you better support on parts.. etc.

as for gas vs diesel.. I have both.. however here are my rec's.

on a ford.. if you want gas.. stay pre 1965.. if you want diesel.. 65+

gas 65+ could be using a holley carb and tey are finecky!

deisel 59-64 ford was just starting out.. and some of the diesels.. like the 144ci are $$HARD$$ to get parts for.

that 3400, if it is a 3400 should have a industrial front axle more suited to loader work.. trans and pto options will vary based upon the #'s on the bellhousing. solid front axles are not adjustable for width.. so keep that in mind if you were thinking or cropping and needing to adjust axle widths and tire spacings.

the 3600 is a slightly newer mahcine.. ag chassis.. the basic front axle.. the x600 has a slightly upgraded hyd system.. it has no loader.. both appear to be the same price.

I'd look at both.. if both have working pto.. you choose. from the add, the 3400 may have had lots of work done. if true.. that's a fresh start.. decide about the axle option if that's an issue.

the 6spd on that 3600 may or not be live pto.. check the bellhousing #'s ( for both ).. to determine pto..e tc.

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas? #8  
I've got a Case DB 885, it is a diesel however.

Great little tractor for small tasks such as tilling, we even had a Woods MM finish mower for it.

At one point in time it was the main work horse on our farm. It is now mostly used to rake hay and occasionally feed hay, box blade or pull a small bush hog.

/ Buyng a tractor ford or DB, diesel or gas?
I went with the 3600