Buying Advice 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #1  

i579rbd

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2240, JD 5410
HI,
I need a tractor with a FEL. Primarily for land maintenance and moving hay bales. The "dream" is bale my own one day. While I was looking at a 10 year old Kubota M6800 the dealer mentioned a new JD 5075E. While the Kubota costs less now-with moderate use, what kind of life expectancy will the kubaota have (assuming previous owner treated it well), as a discontinued model will I have a hard time finding parts? I'd also appreciate any other general thoughts or comments on the brands.
Thanks for your input and time.
Matt

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #2  
Well your going to get strong opinions for both tractors of course. Both very capable machines on paper at least. Are these with or without cabs?How is the M6800 set up and ballasted and how many hours are on it? I of course vote for new and green with 0% but tha'ts just me.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E
With cabs, 1309 hours. I hear you on Green paint. I'm just starting out and would have everything paid for versus additional bills. Hence my concern on longevity for the Kubota. I have read several reviews on the 6800 and they seem positive. Another dealer has a 1998 JD 5410 CAB with 2800 hours that is a potential contender. I'm going to both dealerships next Wed.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #4  
I have to wonder about somebody that bought that much tractor and then only used it 130 hours a year? The price will show the low hours but won't take into account the years of just sitting around ,hopefully in a garage. Every belt , hose and seal is ten years old and some of the fluids might still be original. It will need a major servicing when you buy it or you will get to do it one hose at a time in the field when there is hay down and dark clouds on the horizon.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #5  
I have to wonder about somebody that bought that much tractor and then only used it 130 hours a year? The price will show the low hours but won't take into account the years of just sitting around ,hopefully in a garage. Every belt , hose and seal is ten years old and some of the fluids might still be original. It will need a major servicing when you buy it or you will get to do it one hose at a time in the field when there is hay down and dark clouds on the horizon.

I get the low hours per year, we just traded our '04 Kioti CK25 with 1,188 hours on a new CK 35. We used it at our summer cottage/woodlot, mainly on weekends. It was serviced per the manual, and never had a lick of problems and I assume the new purchaser (who ever that may be) will enjoy it for years.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E
While we are at it, does anyone have a good list or site to go to that details what I should be looking at? IE hoses, welds....

Thanks again

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #7  
wich brand of tractor is up to you.but i can tell you this the kubota has alot of life left in it yet.if you take care of it it should last 20 or 30 more years.we have no prob here buying good clean used equipment.in the last 6 months weve bought a 14ft shredder in great shape along with a like new set of posthole diggers that dugg less than 20 holes.then we bought a like new 1 owner jx80 case 4x4 with a loader with less than 1000hrs on it thats a 2007.then sun we bought a 567 2006 round baler with less than 2500 bales from the same man we bought the shredder from.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #8  
Those hours would not bother me in the least. Also once you get up into the utility size class of tractors ten years old is in most cases relatively new. I farm with two tractors built in the 60's, one built in the 70's a 2002, and a 2012. The three oldest are all well north of 10k hours but have been maintained well and run like a top.

With the 5410, they are very good tractors and were on my short list when I bought my 2002 TN75D about a month ago. Parts are very much available. Deere is actually really good about this. I can still get parts for my 4020's though deer and both of them are sixtys models. Also no problems getting parts for my 74 ford 3000 through the new Holland dealer either.

With Kubota being one of the major brands now I don't see any real issues with getting parts for that tractor either and would expect it to last many thousands of hours more before needing to be overhauled.

As for the low hours on a ten year old tractor, as long as it has the appearance of only having that many hours it would not surprise me in the least bit. Often these tractors come off small horse farms that require a tractor in that size range for moving hay, but they don't do allot of other stuff with it. They might clip a pasture one or two times a year, or plow a bit of snow and maybe some paddock cleaning but it don't take allot of hours to do that on a small operation. If your not making hay or working lots of ground it don't take allot of hours on the tractor to get everything done.

That being said. If you plan on making your own hay in the future all of the listed tractors are capable, but would be on the small side for running a round baler. They will do it with properly sized equipment, but if bailing is in the future and you only want to have one tractor you may wish to go a bit larger, or do what many others have done and when the time comes invest in a second larger tractor. My baler requires 60 horse at the pto and although all of my tractors with the exception of the 3000 are capable of running it I still pull it with the old 69 4020 that has an aftermarket turbo and the fuel feed turned up a touch. It makes the baler run much better with an abundance of hp verses barley enough and I can bale faster and make better bales as a result. I also do most of my plowing with that tractor as well and pulling 4 18's in heavy clay will make her snort pretty good quite often.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #9  
M6800 is a very common utility tractor. very few problems to speak of, good parts availability, etc. No reason not to snag one if its priced right.

/ 10 year old Kubota m6800 versus new JD 5075E #10  
HI,
I need a tractor with a FEL. Primarily for land maintenance and moving hay bales. The "dream" is bale my own one day. While I was looking at a 10 year old Kubota M6800 the dealer mentioned a new JD 5075E. While the Kubota costs less now-with moderate use, what kind of life expectancy will the kubaota have (assuming previous owner treated it well), as a discontinued model will I have a hard time finding parts? I'd also appreciate any other general thoughts or comments on the brands.
Thanks for your input and time.
Matt

When are you planning to close the deal on buying either a new or a new-to-you tractor? If you can afford to wait... the new JD 5075E will have a hydraulic, wet-clutch reverser transmission. If you're gonna be moving hay bales and plan on doing it alot - a wet clutch reverser tranny is "heads and shoulders" above a dry clutch synchro or the old, collar shift transmission!

With a reverser - once, the tractor is running - you don't have to touch the clutch pedal again. Forward and back all day long with the loader; loading and unloading.

Just sayin'..

Good luck.

AKfish