Buying Advice 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #11  
Why did Deere drop the 110? They seem pretty popular around here.

Just speculation, but there's kind of a limited market for small construction TLB's. First, you see lots more mini-ex's and tracked skid steers on jobsites these days. Also, the 110 competed price-wise with the glut of full-size used TLB's that would be favored by big-time construction outfits and competed with Kubota, which has a whole range of construction TLB's (B26, L39, l45, M59), that bracketed the 110. 110 seems like a great little unit; a landscaper pal of mine had one and really liked it.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #12  
Why did Deere drop the 110? They seem pretty popular around here.
I would guess that it is due to the price and amount of sales. I have a Kubota B26 TLB which is a smaller Kubota TLB version like the JD 110 and the new cost for this 26HP, 4000 # TLB is right at $40K with all the options. I would assume that the 110 JD is even higher as it is a much larger tractor. When you start getting into that kind of money, it is a very limited use, before the buyer would opt for the full sized backhoe. I got my B26 for the sole reason that it is small and very easy to get into tight spots. I use is solely for Loader and backhoe work since it is my second tractor. Having a dedicated TLB is so convenient that it is my go to tractor for most of my chores. Yesterday I planted two fruit trees using the hoe, made some large holes (3'x3') in my hard clay soil, filled them back with a combination of peat moss, garden soil, native soil and fertilizer, stirred it around well with the hoe to mix it thoroughly then plopped in my trees. It took about an hour including the time deciding where to locate them. I would have been all day with a shovel trying to dig out the hard clay and rocks and likely wouldn't have made a hole nearly that large to support a good root growth.
I would think that if you can get the JD110 for $20-25K it would be a bargain if it is in good shape which it should be with only 800 hours

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #13  
Also, (I have to admit, I have never used a 110 nor a "creep" function, so this may be worthless :laughing:)
I believe the creep function to be highly over rated. It seems like it would be something great for a beginner to help re-position the tractor, however, you do not need to have a "creep" function to move the tractor.
I have a 410 with no creep function, it is a dedicated backhoe so all I need to do is swivel the seat to operate the controls, pretty easy really, however, I almost NEVER do this. Any time I need to "creep" to a new position, I just raise the outriggers up, and use the backhoe itself to move the tractor forward, backward, or even side to side. All backhoes have this "creep" function built in, you just use the backhoe to move around.

:

I do think a person needs to use the creep function to understand the benefits. For instance if I am drilling post holes with the auger on the rear I can not use the hoe to reposition. While it doesn't make a small tlb an excavator it does make repositioning the machine a lot easier without making divots in the ground every time you move the machine.

I would also say that there is a big difference in width between the fender wells on a 110 and 410 so you can swivel the seat to the front position on the 410. On the 110 you have to get up flip the seat over and climb to the front, without the creep to reposition to alleviate that would be more trouble. Any decent backhoe operator can use the hoe to move the tractor around and does so quite often whether it is a 110 or full sized 410. Trust me on this the creep to reposition feature is a real plus on the small backhoes.

Last edited:
   / 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #14  
I worked a 410 for a couple of weeks a year or so ago. Had a hydraulic thumb, too! :thumbsup: It's quite a bit more machine than my 110... And, the work space on the deck of that tractor makes swiveling the seat around possible - kinda like sittin' atop an aircraft carrier versus a PT boat!

Nonetheless, I use that creep feature to roll across the work areas @ 4-5mph! You don't have to "creep" at all! Crank the throttle up and push that lever all the way over - it'll move as fast or faster than you might want to go!

I paid just over $40K for my 110 with ALL of the options in 2008. It was expensive; but not out of line with either the L45-48 and certainly not when compared to the M59! I looked and looked at the Kubota's...

The demise of the 110 (and to the decline in sales for all TLB's) has been the due to the rise in popularity of the SS/mini-X combo's! The skid steer is a superior loader platform and the small excavator's are a significantly better digging platform! Simple enough - and the purchase cost is not so far out of reach that guys won't buy the package!

AKfish

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #15  
AKfish,
I think the demise of the 110 is lack of work on construction sites. I looked real hard at a Cat 902 wheel loader paired with a 304.5 mini ex and decided that for small jobs it was too much trouble to move two machines in and out.

Helped out a friend this morning and dug with his 426 Cat backhoe while he hammered thru rock with his 420. That was some tough digging. Couldn't have done it without the hammer.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #16  
While I was disappointed when JD discontinued the 110 TLB, I am not going to willingly let my machine go. Someone is going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers.

Just the right size for me, and tough as nails.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #17  
AKfish,
I think the demise of the 110 is lack of work on construction sites. I looked real hard at a Cat 902 wheel loader paired with a 304.5 mini ex and decided that for small jobs it was too much trouble to move two machines in and out.

Helped out a friend this morning and dug with his 426 Cat backhoe while he hammered thru rock with his 420. That was some tough digging. Couldn't have done it without the hammer.

That's had an influence - on just about every aspect of the countries economic cylinders! But, a 35' goose-neck trailer behind a 450 or 550 SuperDuty loaded up with a Bobcat 160 and a Cat 304 is an easy load! One trip.

Things slowed down up here - but, we've never, ever had the same level of decline that the rest of the country (Arizona, Florida..) experienced. Foreclosures were barely outside the normal, average for the state.

Currently, Anchorage is in the midst of a rental and new construction CRISIS! Projected to be that way for the next decade. Discussions about available raw land vs multi-story dwelling's, etc.

(You ever consider commuting...) Guys fly all over the world going and coming from their shift's in the "oil patch" up here!

AKfish

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #18  
I need a backhoe, and I was thinking of adding the backhoe to a 5075M tractor. Now I have the option of buying a 110TLB with about 800 hours on it. The tractor will cost me about $5000 more than adding the backhoe to a 5075M, but I get another toy for that $5K. From the research I have done it seems everyone loves their 110TLB. Does anyone know how the 110TLB compares to the 595 backhoe when it comes to the digging capabilities and reach. I believe it can dig a little deeper, but I am not really planning on digging a 10' deep hole on the farm anytime soon. Is one of them stronger when it comes to removing heavy stones and plants that need to be uprooted? I'm a newbie when it comes to the dedicated backhoes, so any guidance on what I should do is appreciated. I do not know a lot about the specifics of the 110, but I am going to see it this weekend. Anything I should be looking for specifically that would be deal breakers? Other than anything obviously mechanically wrong. I meant lack of this, that, or the other thing. Thanks again for all the help!

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=JOHN+DEERE&mdltxt=110

TractorData.com John Deere 110TLB backhoe-loader tractor information

T Dew based on owning a very worn 1983 310B backhoe unless at 800 hours a JD 110 was abused it should functionally be new like and go until at least 2050. They are not cheap but I think would be light years ahead of some options. When clearing ground I would prefer our 310 series but the sucker is big in a yard and at 12.5K needs more than a single axle trailer and 1/2 ton truck. :)

I wound up with the 310 by accident. Was just looking for a FEL to mount on the MF 265 and that was going to cost me $6K+ but because in that size the used stuff was junk plus I did not want to screw up a naked tractor with a FEL that would be in my way when bush hogging, etc. While very worn the 310 was only $7200 yet starts, runs and works hard after several hundred hours of hard and abusive (using as a dozer clearing ground. building wrecking, etc) work with only replacing some hoses and the starter.

Add-on backhoes that do not use the OEM tractor seat would not work so well for me due to physical limitations. I think a BH one size too big is safer than the other way around.

Bottom line there is NO one machine that is good for all the jobs that can come up around a farm.

After adding the thumb it became clear the digging depth specs are quite important because that determines REACH. :)

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #19  
Gale,
You are so right about one machine will not cover all the jobs on a farm. My friends Cat 426 is three times the weight of my 110 and has twice the reach too. I'm guessing his hoe is about 25,000 lbs. I just don't want one that I need a lowboy and large truck to transport.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #20  
I worked a 410 for a couple of weeks a year or so ago. Had a hydraulic thumb, too! :thumbsup:

OH man, what I would do for a hydraulic thumb! The worst part is, I designed one, cut all the steel, started welding it together and the guy whos welder I was borrowing sold his welder before I finished. :mad:

I really need to just have a local shop finish welding it for me. All I need is time. Story of my life.