Buying Advice 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #21  
OH man, what I would do for a hydraulic thumb! The worst part is, I designed one, cut all the steel, started welding it together and the guy whos welder I was borrowing sold his welder before I finished. :mad:

I really need to just have a local shop finish welding it for me. All I need is time. Story of my life.

If you have all the parts cut out already thats is what I would do.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor
Thanks for all the advice. It seems going with the 110TLB is a no brainer. Based on what I have seen online if I can get it for anywhere close to 20k it is a good buy. I'm couldn't get together with the guy today, so I'm going to see him tomorrow afternoon to go over the machine.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #23  
Thanks for all the advice. It seems going with the 110TLB is a no brainer. Based on what I have seen online if I can get it for anywhere close to 20k it is a good buy. I'm couldn't get together with the guy today, so I'm going to see him tomorrow afternoon to go over the machine.

Hello, I've been posting on tractor subjects for years and AKfish will probably remember how some 4 years ago I was torn between the JD110 versus the Kubota M59.
Anyway, here are some thoughts just to kick around.
Like so many others we've ended up with two tractors and find it very convenient. With the hoe on the M59 and a loader on the JD 530 there is cat II capability all around. I was surprised how often the backhoe is used to load something into the loader bucket of the JD. Having two is worth it for that alone.

After trying both used and new ones...and participating in this forum.....my opinion on the JD 110 is that it is an excellent machine. However, like the M59 it lives in an odd TLB world positioned between small landowners and and true construction machines. That's an area where condition is particularly important. Good as the 110 and M59 are, neither can match the durability of a construction TLB and shouldn't have been used in the same way.
The 800 hours is nothing, the price is good, and the 110 is a fine tractor. I would run towards a clean one at that price and run just as fast away from it if it had been obviously used hard.

So be diligent about checking the condition. T Dew as soon as you see it with your experience I've a feeling that once you look at it your gut and instincts will tell you the answer long before your brain works though all the data.

A couple of other things....
On these midsize TLBs the price is good only if the condition is excellent. I've seen other 110s for sale around here in that range (low 20s), and we do not have any lack of construction work in Colorado either.
Also.... 4 years ago when I was pricing a new JD110 I was surprised at how much $$ their optional equipment added to the cost. Extra hydraulics, buckets, lights...in fact everything added on was oddly expensive. That counts too.
And of course the thing you really want is a hydraulic thumb. Just trust me on that. A backhoe is wonderful, but a thumb makes a backhoe into a whole new tool. Regardless of what backhoe you end up with it sure would be nice to work a thumb into the deal.
good luck, rScotty

Is the hydraulic thumb a deal breaker? I've had to add one in the past to operate a grapple on a loader, but I am too sure why I would want/need one on the backhoe. This is one area I need some educatin'. Is it something that can be added if this TLB does not have it? I know very little about this particular tractor, so I want to know everything I can before I go look at it. I'm hopefully going Monday afternoon, so I do not have a lot of time left to learn. Thank everyone so much for the additional information and help. I've already learned a lot.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #25  
10 years ago when I was looking for something used like a 110 or M59 I found that I could get a Case 580 size backhoe for the same money. I had planned on selling my 580k once my house was built but it just keeps getting used. I suspect that the market for the TLB is not great once you add in the cost of the equipment.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #26  
The thumb would require the 7 function backhoe hydraulics which is easy to spot, you would have a set of auxillary hydraulic couplers mounted on the dipper stick. This operated by a foot pedal on the left side of the platform floor. I use this circuit to run a hydraulic auger (PA30). I don't have the thumb and am sure it could be handy to have but you dont miss what you don't have.

Bear in mind that Deere never had an aftermarket kit to upgrade to the 7th function or the front/rear diverter valve. Buying new with that in mind I got all the options with topntilt hitch to start with. On these 110's with the diverter you have three rear outlets to use for rear attachments. You should ask if he has the 3ph to go with the tractor too.

Some quick things to verify between the different options.
Front hydraulic couplers on the front of the fel for a grapple or other attachment.
Rear hydraulic couplers on the backhoe dipperstick for thumb or auger.
Remove the hoe and check/test the 3ph operation including the rear pto and see if you have either one set or three sets of hydraulic couplers.
Does it have the skid plate beneath the tractor? If not I would check for any damage to the many hydraulic lines on the bottom.
Do the rear stabilizers have the protective shields over the hydraulic cylinders?
All of these options add to the cost of the tractor. There are other options but the hydraulic options are important because they are not upgradable in the field.

Thanks for all the great info. It will give me a lot to think about as I look over the tractor tomorrow. The skid plate is an important consideration for me, since I hope to use it to do a lot of clean up around the property. Bad things can and do usually happen. As for the 3ph and and hydraulic options, I suppose everything that it is lacking would or should reduce the price, since they reduce overall functionality. My problem is that I need a backhoe, and it sure would be nice to have another tractor vs just adding the backhoe to my current tractor. It all comes down to how many of those "extras" do I really need? As jenkinsph said, you don't miss what you don't have. I'll keep you posted on what I learn. If anyone thinks of anything else I should look for before seeing the tractor tomorrow, please let me know. I'm on a fast learning curve about the TLB.

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #28  
I remember well rScotty's posts regarding his backhoe purchase. And, he continues to provide insight's that we all benefit from! :thumbsup:

Steve (jenkinsph) has pretty well covered all the biggest issues regarding the things to be aware of and what to look for when checking the 110 over.

The skid plate is an option that can be added later. It's manufactured by a company in Alabama. It really is mandatory - IMO. CurlyDave sold me on buying the skid plate when I ordered my backhoe. Critical option!

The 3rd function on the front loader tends to be a common feature on many 110's. Nice to have for a grapple fork. I'd be surprised if it's not on the tractor..

Good option to have the 3pt hardware. However, if you don't plan to use the tractor as a mowing, raking, disc harrow, post hole digging, etc. etc. machine... well, it might not be a deal maker/breaker, then. You could buy the hardware from Deere (expensive ~ $1,300) as it's the same as what is used on the 4x20 series tractors if you decide that you really need it.

Same with the 3-optional rear mounted SCV's - they're nice to have but not essential to using the 3pt or even mandatory to have when using 3pt implements. They do make operating a number of different attachments easier and more efficient. Can't be added to the tractor later.... at least without paying an obscene amount of money and some detailed work!! For all practical purposes... if they're not there - they're never gonna be there!

Thumb is an incredible tool on the backhoe! But, 10's of thousands of backhoes have been built thru the year's and they never had thumbs. Very nice to have (I won't buy another backhoe or excavator without one) but not absolutely critical.

The only other considerations are the standard protocols - leaks, smoke and bad noises - grinding, rattling, etc. Use both brakes, all the control surfaces - levers, knobs and switches. Drive the tractor in all the ranges. Check the fluids for smells, colors and any contaminants.

Look for cracks, welds and bent or warped surfaces on the loader arms, boom and dipperstick. Gouges or nicks on the hyd cylinder rams.

Hopefully, the machine will pass muster (only has 800hrs unless it's got a new instrument cluster) and you can agree on an acceptable price.

AKfish

/ 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #29  
Is the hydraulic thumb a deal breaker? I've had to add one in the past to operate a grapple on a loader, but I am too sure why I would want/need one on the backhoe. This is one area I need some educatin'. Is it something that can be added if this TLB does not have it? I know very little about this particular tractor, so I want to know everything I can before I go look at it. I'm hopefully going Monday afternoon, so I do not have a lot of time left to learn. Thank everyone so much for the additional information and help. I've already learned a lot.

I would call it a Deal Maker if it has one but not a Deal Breaker if it doesn't. But if it doesn't I would argue the price down enough to add one. Find out from JD how much they are. Yes, a thumb can be added to any hoe. For the JD110 I think it best to stick to an OEM JD thumb that is made to fit. The geometry is tricky and the JD hydraulics are different from others. Stick to JD on JD.

As to why you need one I'll just say that you need to listen more to people who have a thumb on their hoe rather than people who don't. And ask them if they would consider having a hoe without one. It's sort of like changing from gears to a hydrostatic transmission. Us old guys didn't want to change. We had to use one for a year to finally convince ourselves that a clutch and gearbox might work, but basically there was a better way.
hope it helps,
rScotty

Attachments

• River Rock.JPG
    River Rock.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 160
   / 110TLB vs. backhoe for tractor #30  
here is a few photos that I saved when I was looking for my 110.

3-optional rear mounted SCV's photos 1 & 2
11921426-634631864194604176.jpg 2 photo (1) - Copy.JPG