Straight up cub 2554 opinion question....

/ Straight up cub 2554 opinion question.... #1  

h8hoos

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2165
I have an opportunity to buy a brand new Cub 2554, (54" deck) for $3150 from a dealer, full factory warranty, less than 1 hr on it just driving around his lot. I have to decide by tomorrow, as he tells me he is sending it back to Cub after tomorrow for some discounted amount.

It is 2-3 model years old. Deck has never cut any grass. He tells me that the current 2100 series is the replacement, and the main difference is the 2100 has power steering. Looks to me like a new 2100 is just over $4k, and then and the deck comes to about $5k.

I have three questions:

1. Good deal.....yes or no?
2. Is power steering that much of a big deal?
3. I now own a 1997 Cub 2165 with B&S Vanguard Twin 16, 46". Is the 2554 going to be "light years" nicer/better than my old Cub?

Thank you for any advice.

/ Straight up cub 2554 opinion question.... #2  
1. Here are some 2554's forsale. http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=CUB+CADET&mdltxt=GT2554

2. You can live with out power steering but I think you can mow faster with it because you can turn faster. I guess there is a little less operator fatigue with power steering.

3. In some aspects yes, you are getting away from a briggs and getting a Kohler Command. I think that is a big leap forward. The 2554 also has a nicer seat, I am not sure what else changed on the newer model. Off course you will be going from a 46'' deck to a heavy duty 54" deck.

/ Straight up cub 2554 opinion question....
1. Here are some 2554's forsale. http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=CUB+CADET&mdltxt=GT2554

2. You can live with out power steering but I think you can mow faster with it because you can turn faster. I guess there is a little less operator fatigue with power steering.

3. In some aspects yes, you are getting away from a briggs and getting a Kohler Command. I think that is a big leap forward. The 2554 also has a nicer seat, I am not sure what else changed on the newer model. Off course you will be going from a 46'' deck to a heavy duty 54" deck.

Thank you........

Looks like from your #1 link above $3150 new with warranty is a very good deal.

Thanks again.

/ Straight up cub 2554 opinion question.... #4  
h8hoos,

Well there are differences in the two but functionally they will both do the same thing at the end of the day. The 2554 has a number of heavier duty components and a better engine Kohler.

Some other considerations is your lawn - you have 46" now, will 54" deck fit everywhere you go now?

You have a decent machine now, shaft drive, good engine, and presumably in good running condition. If clean condition you might get $1000 for it, so its a $2K upgrade cost to the 2554. I would offer $3K cash..

Not a lot of $ for a bigger more robust machine and a 3 year warranty, so in my opinion go for it.

Let us know what happens!

Carl