Buying Advice HST vs. Gear drive durability

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #21  
The tractor i used to have had a gst transmission sorta a mix of the two dont know if kubota still makes them but you didnt use the clutch for shifting between gears or using the shuttle on the column; the only thing i didnt like about it was there was a slight pause between gear change,. always worked very well tho. I am prob going to get an hst when i get another tractor

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #22  
for the size property, use and experience you have, I think HST is best....and reliability is nit an issue, IMHO.

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #23  
i for 1 would not go back to a gear tractor unless its a hydro shuttle.an i did grow up driving clutch tractors.but the older i get the more my knee hates clutching the tractor.an the HST will lessen that by 90%.

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability
Wow, thanks for all the replies! And so quickly too!

In the end i'll probably end up with a HST model, it seems there are just more of them out there.

I've spent a fair amount of time on a few different tractors over the years and i'm comfortable on either type.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but i plan on keeping the this new tractor a long, long time and want to get the most bang for my buck.
The Ford tractor we use now was purchased in 1970 new by my Grandfather - we keep stuff a long time...

Thanks and i'll keep ya'll updated.

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #26  
Look at it like automobiles;when do you hear of a problem in a car with an automatic if serviced properly under 200,000 miles.

Not a good arguement to me. I have 6 cars or trucks. 4 stick shift and 2 auto's. The oldest being a 67 Ford and the only transmission trouble I have ever had is out of the automatic tranny's. Both went out under 200K miles and the builder said that was very common. 150K - 180K was about where he started getting most of his work from. Auto's are nice for driving but suck for work.

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #27  
The distinction for me between shuttle and straight gear is that you get way more reverse speeds with a shuttle, rather than one or two, as most straight gear tractors give you. They are also usually fully synchronized such that you don't have to come to a complete stop to switch from forward to reverse. My shuttle has 8 forward and 8 reverse speeds. The reverses are about 80% of the corresponding gear/range of the forward speed. Makes backing up real nice. Full hydraulic shuttles generally can be shifted without clutching. But, these types are generally only found on more expensive, "larger" tractors. Synchros are found on most modern mechanical shuttles, but rarely hydraulic, clutchless shifting.

As far as which is more durable, I don't think there is that much difference. You might have more HST defects off the factory floor because really HST is more complicated than manual. The complexity is just hidden from the user inside the tranny. I love HST, but am happy with the shuttle too.

/ HST vs. Gear drive durability #28  
If you have a choice between HST and gear drive, you should probably choose HST. Most larger tractors don't have that choice and are gear driven.

Just curious....if you have HST, is your PTO driven through HST or is it a direct, mechanical drive?